Options

The Rihanna Appreciation Thread

1114115116117118120»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah she should call time on this era perhaps 1 more single or not. She absolutely needs to release a greatest hits and music videos dvd in the fall. I cant wait for the Loud tour dvd! I think her next studio album should be released like you said end of 2013/2014 she should take a well deserved break and have a comeback with her 7th album :)

The break is really needed for her - for promotion purposes - party girl/movie/side project Rihanna can't make an era a 100% success, she needs a huge break, find some inspiration and make a really solid album full of quality tracks and #1 smashes, plus by then it will give her more ideas for what she wants to do on a tour too. Plus if rumors are true then Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Christina Aguilera are all releasing albums later this year, early next year so if Rihanna saves herself for the next half of 2013/early 2014 she should be clear for chart domination!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MCA1992 wrote: »
    The break is really needed for her - for promotion purposes - party girl/movie/side project Rihanna can't make an era a 100% success, she needs a huge break, find some inspiration and make a really solid album full of quality tracks and #1 smashes, plus by then it will give her more ideas for what she wants to do on a tour too. Plus if rumors are true then Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Christina Aguilera are all releasing albums later this year, early next year so if Rihanna saves herself for the next half of 2013/early 2014 she should be clear for chart domination!

I agree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised 'WHYB' did not top the UK chart. Obviously, all her fans and a huge deal of casual listeners already own the album, but 'WHYB' is one of her best singles ever imo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I'm surprised 'WHYB' did not top the UK chart. Obviously, all her fans and a huge deal of casual listeners already own the album, but 'WHYB' is one of her best singles ever imo!

I know! I'm gutted it had surefire #1 all over it. I think Rihanna left it a month or two late. If she released it whilst she was in the UK promoting Battleships then maybe it would have been a different story.

I know artists are so busy these days with endorsements such as films, make up, perfume and whatnot but sometimes I just wish they'd take the old school approach and film the music video in advance, I can't help but feel the delaying music videos could lose sales for songs.

If Rihanna's team got her on BGT or Radio 1 Live Lounge she would have smashed that #1.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, Def Jam need to talk to her. They cancelled all her promo to spend time with family but she's still out in the US every night looking like a tramp. And she swears after every word these days. They should release one more single - Drunk On Love - to coincide with her festival appearances and then end the album. Then she should not release any music til late 2013. I know she worked very hard non-stop for 3 years but this is getting out of hand. As a big fan, she's starting to bore me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cm1992 wrote: »
    Seriously, Def Jam need to talk to her. They cancelled all her promo to spend time with family but she's still out in the US every night looking like a tramp. And she swears after every word these days. They should release one more single - Drunk On Love - to coincide with her festival appearances and then end the album. Then she should not release any music til late 2013. I know she worked very hard non-stop for 3 years but this is getting out of hand. As a big fan, she's starting to bore me.
    I haven't heard anything. Which appearances has she cancelled?

Anyway, I think this album has been incredibly mishandled. They kicked off the era with such a huge smash, that it all HAD to go downhill afterwards. In hindsight, maybe 'You Da One' should have never been released or maybe they should have shot a video for 'TTT'. That said, I don't think we should write 'WHYB' off yet. It's taking off on US radio and it might have a ressurgance in the UK when (and if) she finally promotes. You never know :cool:

If she releases another single, I want either 'Drunk On Love' or 'Watch n' Learn'. Maybe even 'We All Want Love', but I don't know if it's strong enough to stand out :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I know, they only cancelled her Graham Norton appearance this week and delayed the filming of her Sky Living show? She'll still be headlining Hackney Big Weekend and Wireless, although I am slightly worried about how well she'll perform at these events. She doesn't seem to be doing a lot of rehearsing. :o

And I agree O.Michel that this era has been mishandled. :( For a number of reasons:

1) You Da One should have never been released so soon after We Found Love. WFL was still smashing radio at the time and selling incredibly well and it overshadowed YDO's release.

2) Talk That Talk never got a video.

3) Birthday Cake should have never been recorded with Chris Brown but instead with someone like Drake/Kanye West/M.I.A. or someone and then released as a single. But again, not at the same time as Talk That Talk was released as a single. The song did so well on Urban radio (reaching #1 I think?) and reached #24 on the Hot 100 just with airplay and no sales. If she released it with someone who Jay-Z/the label approved of, she could have got another Top 10 since the song would have actually been available to buy.

The remix got her a LOT of publicity but for all the wrong reasons.

4) General lack of promo. In America, there's only been an Ellen interview, SNL and an American Idol performance for the whole era which is pretty poor.

I think she needs to go for Roc Me Out/Watch N Learn next and finish with Drunk On Love as a Christmas single.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shn321 wrote: »
    As far as I know, they only cancelled her Graham Norton appearance this week and delayed the filming of her Sky Living show? She'll still be headlining Hackney Big Weekend and Wireless, although I am slightly worried about how well she'll perform at these events. She doesn't seem to be doing a lot of rehearsing. :o

And I agree O.Michel that this era has been mishandled. :( For a number of reasons:

1) You Da One should have never been released so soon after We Found Love. WFL was still smashing radio at the time and selling incredibly well and it overshadowed YDO's release.

2) Talk That Talk never got a video.

3) Birthday Cake should have never been recorded with Chris Brown but instead with someone like Drake/Kanye West/M.I.A. or someone and then released as a single. But again, not at the same time as Talk That Talk was released as a single. The song did so well on Urban radio (reaching #1 I think?) and reached #24 on the Hot 100 just with airplay and no sales. If she released it with someone who Jay-Z/the label approved of, she could have got another Top 10 since the song would have actually been available to buy.

The remix got her a LOT of publicity but for all the wrong reasons.

4) General lack of promo. In America, there's only been an Ellen interview, SNL and an American Idol performance for the whole era which is pretty poor.

I think she needs to go for Roc Me Out/Watch N Learn next and finish with Drunk On Love as a Christmas single.
    I agree. 'BC' was obviously a smash waiting to happen and with the right feature, it could have crossed over to pop radio as well. It stalled to No.2 on urban radio, but the number of spins it got is massive.

I feel like 'TTT' (the single) is what really let the era down. Noone really paid attention to 'YDO' flopping apart from the die-hard fans because everyone was still eating up 'WFL'. However, 'TTT' wouldn't have taken off even if they had shot the video. The initial airplay was very disappointing and I think it sounded a little 2009 tbh.

Anyway, 'WFL' (and' WHYB' if it keeps climbing) salvage the era's profile for now, so it's by no means a failure. Let's hope the next one (which had better start next year and not now!) is more cohesive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shn321 wrote: »

Grammy Awards, X Factor USA, Grammy Nominations Concert

Then Brit Awards, X Factor UK, Jingle Bell Ball, all of this while wrapping up the LOUD Tour then Jonathon Ross Show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I agree. 'BC' was obviously a smash waiting to happen and with the right feature, it could have crossed over to pop radio as well. It stalled to No.2 on urban radio, but the number of spins it got is massive.

I feel like 'TTT' (the single) is what really let the era down. Noone really paid attention to 'YDO' flopping apart from the die-hard fans because everyone was still eating up 'WFL'. However, 'TTT' wouldn't have taken off even if they had shot the video. The initial airplay was very disappointing and I think it sounded a little 2009 tbh.

Anyway, 'WFL' (and' WHYB' if it keeps climbing) salvage the era's profile for now, so it's by no means a failure. Let's hope the next one (which had better start next year and not now!) is more cohesive.

That's true about YDO, WFL was still smashing at the time so the general public didn't really notice YDO.

I'm probably letting my love of TTT cloud my judgement that it would have done better with a video :o You're right though that radio just never really took a liking to it. :(

And yeah, this era has not been a failure. I think the album sales are ~3m atm which is quite good, hopefully with another single it can match Rated R's sales of ~3.5m.
    RaiseItUp wrote: »
    Grammy Awards, X Factor USA, Grammy Nominations Concert

Then Brit Awards, X Factor UK, Jingle Bell Ball, all of this while wrapping up the LOUD Tour then Jonathon Ross Show.

I meant promo in just the US and I did forget those 3 performances! :o But if you compare it to the promo for Loud, it is quite poor. There haven't been as many TV interviews/TV performances/award show performances/radio interviews etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She tweeted yesterday that the Loud tour DVD is coming 'soon' which I'm looking forward to :D It was such a good show, will be great to have it on DVD.

Radio 1 Hackney slot a week tomorrow as well! I hope it's not like her Capital FM ball slot/Rock In Rio. They weren't her finest moments. :(

I'm hoping the setlist goes something like:

Only Girl (In The World)
    S&M
    Hard
    Man Down
    Talk That Talk/Run This Town (Jay Z joins her on stage for this)
    Russian Roulette
    California King Bed
    Unfaithful
    (B'day Cake interlude)
    What's My Name
    Rude Boy
    Cheers
    Don't Stop The Music
    Where Have You Been
    Take A Bow
    Love The Way You Lie
    Umbrella
    We Found Love

Which is probably a bit too long. :o
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    I don't think YDO should've been released at all. I only see it as an album track and although I like it I think it's underwhelming compared to We Found Love. And the whole TTT release was a mess. Should've We Found Love, Where Have You Been & Drunk on Love.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thinking we might get a greatest hits this year. There is, at least, 20 tracks she can fit on it and waiting any longer would be foolish. She is looking at a multi million seller. I can't see them holding off any longer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope your right ^ and i cannot wait for the Loud tour dvd!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna has allegedly booked studio time in London whilst she's staying and will be recording with Burns and Nicky Romero! Both men are good friends with Calvin harris so it seems she's looking for a continuation of Where Have You Been/We Found Love type sound. Hope we get something fresh and exciting out of it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ She could be recording new material for her Greatest Hits say 2-3 songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna could be, but I reckon it's more likely a Talk that Talk re-release or the new album - both of which I don't really want her to do so she can take her year/6 months out to just relax and do the side projects and gigs and recharge her batteries. Have we had any clues/hints a Greatest Hits is on the way? Rihanna could easily release 2-3 discs of hits the way she's going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the UK Navy hung around the studio Rihanna was rehearsing at today so we now know this weekend's setlist. It won't be in this order but it looks like this is what she'll be performing:

Cockiness
    Birthday Cake
    Rude Boy
    What's My Name
    Only Girl
    Disturbia
    S&M
    Love The Way You Lie
    Man Down
    Where Have You Been
    Wait Your Turn
    Hard
    Don't Stop The Music

^ Were the ones she rehearsed today. I'm guessing she didn't go through everything today because there was no Umbrella and We Found Love and I can't see her not performing her 2 biggest hits!

A few odd choices in there (Wait Your Turn?) but I hope she adds a few ballads like Unfaithful and Take A Bow/California King Bed to show she can really sing.

But yeah, bring on Sunday :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait Your Turn is a tune. It's one of her best and should have been a single. And it has a bit of dubstep influence which is in right now.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    cm1992 wrote: »
    Wait Your Turn is a tune. It's one of her best and should have been a single. And it has a bit of dubstep influence which is in right now.

I don't think it was ever released but it did have a video :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I don't think it was ever released but it did have a video :)

It charted as a promo single.
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,835
    Administrator
      Admin Notice: This thread is continued here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=58982284#post58982284
    This discussion has been closed.