The New London "Routemaster" Buses

lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
Forum Member
I do think they look great, but does anyone else think that the glass-walled staircases at the back and behind the driver are just perfect for looking up girls' skirts? :eek:

http://www.london.gov.uk/priorities/transport/new-bus-london

Comments

• fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The routemaster buses terrify me! I particularly hate them on busy roads like Oxford St cos I can't tell if they are stopped to let me off or just held up by traffic and I don't use them often enough to have mastered the jump on and off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like it's got decent access for the disabled and for people with prams, so it gets a thumbs up from me.
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Routemasters are brilliant. Back in a previous life I got to drive one around a training ground. It was fab.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    fifilapew wrote: »
    The routemaster buses terrify me! I particularly hate them on busy roads like Oxford St cos I can't tell if they are stopped to let me off or just held up by traffic and I don't use them often enough to have mastered the jump on and off.

I think a great idea would be a red/green light by the platform that indicated if the driver had the footbrake or handbrake on or off - basically a little traffic light system that warned you if they were about to pull away.

In fact, I'm going to suggest that to Wrightbus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I think a great idea would be a red/green light by the platform that indicated if the driver had the footbrake or handbrake on or off - basically a little traffic light system that warned you if they were about to pull away.

That would be an amazingly simple but effective solution. I really don't want to be that person that splats out of the bus and on to the pavement...:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The old Routemasters were great for getting free lifts up the road. I used to hop on and off all the time to save me walking up Oxford Street etc. The biggest danger was from cycle couriers who'd weave in and out of traffic like suicidal maniacs. Gawd help you if you ever got in their way, the abuse was hilarious.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I do think they look great, but does anyone else think that the glass-walled staircases at the back and behind the driver are just perfect for looking up girls' skirts? :eek:

http://www.london.gov.uk/priorities/transport/new-bus-london

you gotta be kidding me?? no way .that seriously looks too space age ,its like a route master mothed into a normal bus with twin doors ,some sort of 21st centry deformed routemaster bus . it doesn't look right,they tryed to do this with the london black taxi ,but that has paid off,this ,just not sure.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the back door and without conductors, how do they prevent people riding the bus without paying for it?

But having two staircases is a good idea from a fire safety point of view.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like buses where you can jump on and off at the traffic lights.

They should never have got rid of the old ones.

The disabled could have waited for the next one on the route and made every second bus a Routemaster.

We can't change every single thing is this world to suit a small minority.

And bring back conductors with batons to whack unruly passengers.

The old Routemaster............It's part of London's heritage.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the press briefing these new buses have less capacity than the bendy buses and other standard buses on the road.

Lack of logic there

You'd be breaking the law if you deliberately excluded the disabled by making them wait for every 2nd bus, thats obscene just so some Londonders can ride around on an antiquated tourist attraction
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most disabled get a little minibus or a friend to give them a lift or get a disabled badge for someone to drive them around.

We should be doing what's best for 95% of the population not for 5% of the population.

Where I live I sometimes get a bus 25 miles into town. There is a seat at the front where a wheelchair fits in and I've never seen it being used.
    Forum Member
    fifilapew wrote: »
    That would be an amazingly simple but effective solution. I really don't want to be that person that splats out of the bus and on to the pavement...:o

I've suggested it to TfL and Wrightbus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most disabled get a little minibus or a friend to give them a lift or get a disabled badge for someone to drive them around.

That is utter rubbish and a complete generalisation!

Lot's of disabled people use public transport and its unfair to exclude them, and others, who struggle to use the old step entrance buses for the sake of a Routemaster looking pretty.

With that logic we'd be flying around in DeHaivalland Comets and riding Model T Ford's to work
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    According to the press briefing these new buses have less capacity than the bendy buses and other standard buses on the road.

Lack of logic there

You'd be breaking the law if you deliberately excluded the disabled by making them wait for every 2nd bus, thats obscene just so some Londonders can ride around on an antiquated tourist attraction

This bus design has both a hop-on/off platform at the rear and full disabled access at the front door (not sure about the middle door).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're not excluding them,if an old Routemaster comes along they wait another 10 mins for a bus that suits the disabled.

And apart from the other options I've already mentioned some have those little battery scooters.

We have to start thinking about the majority for once.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lot's of disabled people use public transport and its unfair to exclude them, and others, who struggle to use the old step entrance buses for the sake of a Routemaster looking pretty.

With that logic we'd be flying around in DeHaivalland Comets and riding Model T Ford's to work

But Eleanor Rigby likes to see them on the rare occassion he travels out of Scotland and never sees the disabled when he's here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not just people in wheelchairs, but those with mobility problems and people with small children and buggies.

I have a car, but travelling in central London on public transport has been a big no for me with 2 small kids. The tube stations are the worst getting a buggy up and down the escalators ( thats if they even have them) is a nightmare. I use black cabs on the rare occasions I travel around central London with them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Eleanor Rigby likes to see them on the rare occassion he travels out of Scotland and never sees the disabled when he's here.

Perhaps he rounds them all up on these special minibuses he talks about
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was about four my mother put me in a go-car which was the old fashioned buggy and it was very small.
    The buggys now are huge they are like tanks, and should not be allowed on buses especially during the rush hour.

The old Routemaster was a terrific bus.

The old fashioned go-car could be folded and put in the luggage bit behind where the conductor stood next to the back stairs.

When in London I still go on the Heritage route from Trafalgar Sq to Tower of London...........ding ding. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was about four my mother put me in a go-car which was the old fashioned buggy and it was very small.
    The buggys now are huge they are like tanks, and should not be allowed on buses especially during the rush hour.

The old Routemaster was a terrific bus.

We used to build schools with asbestos too and it made the process much easier and a lot nicer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Stockholm they use buses very similar to THIS. If there are people in wheelchairs or parents with prams the bus lowers down to pavement level so they can get on easily. Not only that but if you're a parent pushing a pram you don't even have to pay.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mooby~ wrote: »
    In Stockholm they use buses very similar to THIS. If there are people in wheelchairs or parents with prams the bus lowers down to pavement level so they can get on easily. Not only that but if you're a parent pushing a pram you don't even have to pay.

thats very much like the bending bus ,nothing wrong with that, its the new routemaster in london that doesn't look right
    Forum Member
    Mooby~ wrote: »

Kind of looks similar to London's bendy buses:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/image_galleries/bendybus_story_gallery.shtml
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The answer is simple...have some modern buses with disabled access and have some old Routemasters if there are any left.

Buy them back from the provinces and do them up......... and Bob's your uncle. :)

Why do we need to design a new Routemaster ????

"We're all going on a summer holiday". dee dee dee da da. :cool:
    Forum Member
    The answer is simple...have some modern buses with disabled access and have some old Routemasters if there are any left.

Buy them back from the provinces and do them up......... and Bob's your uncle. :)

Why do we need to design a new Routemaster ????

"We're all going on a summer holiday". dee dee dee da da. :cool:

There aren't any in the "provinces". They were decommissioned because the law no longer allows them to be used. The DDA requires all vehicles providing scheduled public services to have full disabled access (for buses, for at least 2x wheelchairs). The routemasters aren't used on scheduled services simply because they are no longer legal.