Options

Stacey Solomon - The new "Nation's Sweetheart"

Comments

• Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nswaki wrote: »
    Think Diana was called the peoples princess....

Yes by Tony Blair and then the media picked up on it. I don't recall her being called anything like it before her death
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nswaki wrote: »
    Think Diana was called the peoples princess....

She might have been our princess, but our queen is Simon :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Yes by Tony Blair and then the media picked up on it. I don't recall her being called anything like it before her death

Apparently the phrase was dreamed up by Alistair Campbell.
  • Options
    Keyb0ardWarri0rKeyb0ardWarri0r Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    So, Vera Lynn's "The Forces Sweetheart" is the only title to have stood the test of time.

God bless her. x
  • Options
    littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Stacy, but a little of her goes a long way.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    So, Vera Lynn's "The Forces Sweetheart" is the only title to have stood the test of time.

God bless her. x

Yes. In her case, it actually meant something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    There's really never been an NS, not a well spoken one without a conviction anyway.
  • Options
    duvindupainduvindupain Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else think it's odd that Stacey Solomon no longer does what made her famous in the first nplace - i.e. singing? What's that all about then? :confused:

TV presenter, reality star, supermarket advertiser...

No singing going on :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    Yes. In her case, it actually meant something.

Certainly did. I like the fact she doesn't slag off "modern" music. So optimistic as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8230435.stm
  • Options
    Sarah.OXSarah.OX Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Stacey,she's hilarious but Cheryl still holds the crown imo! :)
  • Options
    Sarah.OXSarah.OX Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also....who was Vera Lynn? I've never heard of her... :o
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah.OX wrote: »
    Also....who was Vera Lynn? I've never heard of her... :o

If you're under 20 that's completely understandable :)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Stacey's okay. She's 'energetic' quite a bit of the time, but she's okay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you're under 20 that's completely understandable :)

I like the ignorance in a way, they don't know who Vera Lynn means they won't have preconceptions of others - Germans, Japanese.

My lover is Japanese. WWII comes up in conversation, but mostly the aftermath and how we acted as countries AFTER. Neither of us were born during, so neither were responsible. We are responsible for the after and how we behave as humans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else think it's odd that Stacey Solomon no longer does what made her famous in the first nplace - i.e. singing? What's that all about then? :confused:

TV presenter, reality star, supermarket advertiser...

No singing going on :confused:

It's a shame in my opinion as I really liked her singing on XF. She was my favourite during that series, I think.

I think she's an awful choice to give presenting work to however as when she talks she can barely get her words out. It's like she's got some kind of weird breathing problem but she's probably just extremely hyperactive. I can't watch her as a presenter because of this though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say I'm a fan of her. Partly because she sounds like a goose being anally violated when she talks, but mostly because I'm sick of women only being considered likeable if they play the "Bless her, she's so dippy and sweet and thick as pigshit" card. I don't find people playing up to the bimbo stereotype that endearing, to be honest. It always comes across as forced, like they've got an earpiece in through which their manager is barking orders, like "Someone just used a three-syllable-long word! Quick, ask them what it means!"

Point being, dippy/daft/just plain thick people are everywhere. What makes this one special enough to front an Iceland campaign? If she's a good singer, why not get her to stick to that? It's only a matter of time before her incoherent burbling starts to wear thin, and it'd be a shame to ignore the one thing she appears to be good at in favour of being the next Kerry Katona; famous just for whoring out her private life to the public.
  • Options
    rubyred25rubyred25 Posts: 1,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish she would do the singing, the presenting isn't good, but she seems to have got better when she talks now. I wonder if she had help? As its her nerves that make talk fast, and silly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not nearly as overexposed enough to be the 'Nation's Sweetheart'
  • Options
    muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she seems like a nice girl but don't really think she's cut out for TV presenting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been so long now was she in the top 5 of the x factor!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I can't stand her. I think she is a horse in disguise, trying to infiltrate us.
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    She's repulsive :o

Aw, that's harsh.

She can be annoying, but she seems a genuinely nice person.
    I'm sick of women only being considered likeable if they play the "Bless her, she's so dippy and sweet and thick as pigshit" card.

A bit dippy maybe, naturally sweet I think, but certainly not thick - I found her to be surprisingly articulate and intelligent in IAC.
  • Options
    lovely_ladylovely_lady Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    This girl has no talent at all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this title, and while our current nation's sweetheart may have fallen a little, our Cheryl is still that person imo.

Howevever, I do get that some peeps may not see it as making sense, well, because I cant explain it myself. I have no memory of anyone other then our Cheryl having this title.

Kylie was the original, and earned it by her personality as well as numerous massive hits and unsung charity work over the past 25 years. She's always been adored by the public, and not just by her fans, and has acted with grace and dignity over the years. The rabid British press even call her the "Sainted Kylie" and never say a bad word about her as they'd deem it unthinkable. Now that's power...

I don't like being told by Cowell's friends at the Sun and Mirror after just 3 weeks on the X Factor that his golden girl Cheryl (no offence to her) was now the "Nation's Sweetheart"... Everyone thought it was a joke at the way it was done by the producers so obviously at his behest.
  • Options
    jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she,s lovely ;)