Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)

Comments

• TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnoali wrote: »
    Just caught up...think V&S were out of order not asking for another room soon as they discovered the mattress. Seems like they exaggerated about the smell in the room at dinner too. Personally I don't care about stains on a mattress so long as it has been cleaned, doesn't smell and has a cover on. There was no suggestion that the mattress smelled bad. I guess I would sort something like that if I was going on tv knowing how these shows roll...bet the tv crew seek out anything worthy of creating drama, but as helen herself said, lesson learned! On a good note Paul has grown on me after tonight & nice to see the three of them having a laugh at breakfast, which looked very nice. I'd definately stay there.
    Do we know if another room is available? The accomodation in pubs are normally quite small (3 to 4 rooms max) I whole heartily agree with you on all the other concerns, V&S should have made the effort to go to the breakfast:cry:(
  • bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    Sorry to disagree with so many on here but that mattress was just awful. I was manager of four holiday homes and would never have let a mattress in that condition be in any of them. The room wasnt clean, there were several other things that left it lacking.

However, it just shows that the two woman running the B&B do not know what standards are required and prove an earlier point I made that thinking they can start a B&B without any training and thinking the room was clean also meant they didnt check their staff or trained their staff to the correct levels.

The fact that the women who complained were dislikeable does not change the fact that the room was not of a standard. If the rooms were not cleaned correctly, what other things were not to the correct levels required by the Food ands Hygiene regulations.

Hopefully it will be a wake up call to the owner of the B&B to get some training, there are courses available, a check list of cleaning chores will ensure all areas are cleaned and checked to be immaculate.

I feel the complainers are being targeted on a "shoot the messenger" basis on here and misplaced sympathy for the failings of owner, who if it is realised checked every nook and cranny of all the other rooms and didnt hold back in their feedback.

Totally agree with you.

It was not only the mattress. The biscuits in the jar were stuck together and the whole room was shown to be dirty.

OK the owner of the pub is a pleasant enough woman but to say that it was her daughter's mattress and she had only weed on it was hardly a reasonable excuse. Whoever had weed on it, it was a bit of a gross to think it was acceptable for paying guests. Was also not impressed that she said she felt sorry for her 'team'.

This show is a huge PR opportunity for all these B and B's and considering that the pub was the last of the week to be 'tested' you would have thought that she would have made every effort to check everything with a fine tooth comb after her 'team' had done their job. When you consider that she and her friend had the opportunity to 'test out' the others before and that she was looking at the exact things that her 'guests' were looking at she has been considerable lazy to let this happen.

As for the smell of sick, maybe V&S just felt totally grossed out at the thought of staying in such a dirty room and their sense of smell was stronger than others, remember that their property was rated as spotless, so their standards were much higher and the mattress was the last straw.

I found V&S to be a polite charming couple and maybe they should have not mentioned it at the dinning table, but who knows what the producers had said to them, it has been done before now on this show, where the contestants have been put into situations to make for better viewing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet_Agar wrote: »
    Veronica is sooo patronizing--"she did her best" -you'd get the idea (if you'd not seen their BB) she ran the Ritz.
    Funny how they ate their evening meal then decided to say how horrible things were then leave in a flurry of talcum powder-"come aong Saida we are leaving this hovel"
    This sort of behaviour does nothing to make veiwers want to beat a path to their door.

Had to chuckle at that:D!
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingoes wrote: »
    I found V&S to be a polite charming couple and maybe they should have not mentioned it at the dinning table, but who knows what the producers had said to them, it has been done before now on this show, where the contestants have been put into situations to make for better viewing.

In my experience, if someone asks you do do something/say something that you're not comfortable doing/saying in front of the cameras...just say no!

What are they going to do if you point blank refuse?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my experience, if someone asks you do do something/say something that you're not comfortable doing/saying in front of the cameras...just say no!

What are they going to do if you point blank refuse?

Its in human nature to obey 'authority' figures - see The Migram experiment.

Some people will also feel they 'owe' the production team something after being feted for a fortnight and you have to remember the production team do this every week, the competitors only once. Yes a strong personality will do as they please, but people are a lot more compliant when in a situation than when sat a home on the sofa with a nice cup of tea.
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,045
    Forum Member
    So - again - we have traditional seaside b & b versus elegant house. The more I think about it the more convinced I am that contestants shouldn't be told the price and should just pay what they think the service is worth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theid wrote: »
    So - again - we have traditional seaside b & b versus elegant house. The more I think about it the more convinced I am that contestants shouldn't be told the price and should just pay what they think the service is worth.

That would be interesting.

I can imagine the real bargain places (like the £40 B&B in Blackpool the other week) would get massively overpaid, whilst the upper end places (£150+) would be underpaid :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Its in human nature to obey 'authority' figures - see The Migram experiment.

Some people will also feel they 'owe' the production team something after being feted for a fortnight and you have to remember the production team do this every week, the competitors only once. Yes a strong personality will do as they please, but people are a lot more compliant when in a situation than when sat a home on the sofa with a nice cup of tea.

Perhaps true. I still think anyone with half a brain could foresee the "fallout" or "issues" that would come about if they were to do what the production crew wanted, and as they all supposedly go on there to promote their B&B's/themselves, I'm surprised so many fall for it (if this is the case that they're "goaded" into doing whatever they end up doing)

Although I'm sure not everything is "arranged" by the Production Crew and that some people just blunder their way in anyway!!
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumsy24 wrote: »
    SueG the only mattress protectors I have come across (other than in hospitals) are not rubber/plastic backed. If they were I may as well be in a hospital bed.
    There are plenty of waterproof mattress protectors on the market nowadays and they no longer rustle and they aren't sweaty. Here are two...

King of Cotton waterproof mattress protector

John Lewis waterproof mattress protector - which gets a lot of 5 star reviews

I detest the old fashioned plasticky waterproof covers - having slept on this style, because of the padded topping, they're perfectly comfortable and I'd even say that no one would know they were sleeping on one without investigating in a 4iaB-stylee.

They're not cheap... but neither are good quality mattresses and as an investment in protecting a £400 (say) mattress over 10 years, they're worthwhile.
    Mumsy24 wrote: »
    And I did say POTENTIALLY replace a mattress every week. Surely that would have to be considered?
    Only in catastrophic circumstances... and catastrophes can generally be prevented.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoes wrote: »
    This show is a huge PR opportunity for all these B and B's and considering that the pub was the last of the week to be 'tested' you would have thought that she would have made every effort to check everything with a fine tooth comb after her 'team' had done their job.
    I think it's another case of someone thinking "I've run a family, I can run a b&b". Running a family home gives you the basics but unless you are charging rock bottom prices, you need higher standards. Unless you're already an ocd cleaner. I'm not by nature.

The cloudy glass may have been plain dirty or it may have been in the dishwasher too often and have gone milky. Add to that the general smeariness that cheap dishwasher products leave on glass and you have a clean but unappealing glass.

I handwash all of ours and cloth dry them. It's a faff, but I know every glass that goes into the cupboard will come out pristine.
    Although I'm sure not everything is "arranged" by the Production Crew and that some people just blunder their way in anyway!!
    Yes. I'm confident that the Amandas, Julians and Louises blunder in with absolutely no assistance from the production crew.

After all, the very unprofessional responses to negative TA reviews are not "arranged" by anyone and the owners manage to get those responses wrong all by themselves and long before appearing on 4iaB.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Perhaps someone can jog my memory, does the second woman who talks a lot actually work at the Wales B&B or was she just a friend who came along as company.?
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,678
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    Perhaps someone can jog my memory, does the second woman who talks a lot actually work at the Wales B&B or was she just a friend who came along as company.?

I asked this yesterday gillie, but no one picked up on it :confused:

I need to be reminded who Louise is too, Normandie.
    My first thought was 'Donkey Woman' who's not often referred to by name, but she's Katie.
    I can't just think right now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »

My first thought was 'Donkey Woman' who's not often referred to by name, but she's Katie.

The "clique" were ignoring you :p (only joking!!)

I cant remember who Louise is either :confused:
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pedro wrote: »
    They're probably a decent enough pair of old prunes......... just not suited to the hospitality industry.

Are they both Lebanese?:Liked the older ones moustache.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Are they both Lebanese?:Liked the older ones moustache.

Yes, both Lovely Lebanese Ladies. But very discrete about it as we were speculating about it earlier in the week.

Gillidew - I can't quite work out if they are just friends or one works at the pub too. An odd week really with Pauls' Missus never being mentioned at all on the program.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Yes, both Lovely Lebanese Ladies. But very discrete about it as we were speculating about it earlier in the week.

Gillidew - I can't quite work out if they are just friends or one works at the pub too. An odd week really with Pauls' Missus never being mentioned at all on the program.

Paul's wife might be just very shy and not want any part in the programme
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    Paul's wife might be just very shy and not want any part in the programme

I can understand that, but its odd she's never been mentioned at all on the prog.
    Forum Member

I'm in a unique clique. There's only me in it :p
    :D

I don't think it was strange that Paul's wife hasn't been on the programme, as Nick says, she could be shy or any other number of reasons.

BG, if you don't remember Louise then I don't feel so bad now :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think it was strange that Paul's wife hasn't been on the programme, as Nick says, she could be shy or any other number of reasons.

I've even searched on Google but cant find anything :confused:

Although saying that, my memory is terrible....

I dont think its strange that Paul's wife hasnt been on. I'm sure plenty of owners appear on the show without their significant other (who clearly knows what the show is like and therefore politely "declines" :D)
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be interesting.

I can imagine the real bargain places (like the £40 B&B in Blackpool the other week) would get massively overpaid, whilst the upper end places (£150+) would be underpaid :D

That's the drawback. Perhaps they should try putting together four B&Bs of similar types and prices, then the competition on all levels would be a lot closer and potentially more picky as the owners will all be aiming at the same market and running similar establishments, so it might draw out disagreements. I haven't explained that too well!

As interesting as it is showing four completely different types of B&B, aimed at different markets, it does mean that many of the owners simply wouldn't normally be interested in a lot of them - too expensive, too cheap, too posh, too old-fashioned, badly located etc....
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    That's the drawback. Perhaps they should try putting together four B&Bs of similar types and prices, then the competition on all levels would be a lot closer and potentially more picky as the owners will all be aiming at the same market and running similar establishments, so it might draw out disagreements. I haven't explained that too well!

As interesting as it is showing four completely different types of B&B, aimed at different markets, it does mean that many of the owners simply wouldn't normally be interested in a lot of them - too expensive, too cheap, too posh, too old-fashioned, badly located etc....

I agree, maybe the program makers should give it a try, instead of trying to get clashing personalities, as the majority of B&B owners seem unable/refuse to look at the places they are trying out objectively. Inevitably they can't help to compare to their own, but how can they be flexible and move with the times, if they can only see their own methods, or their personal preferences for their own holiday?
    As a viewer, there are many comparisons I would like to see between similar priced accommodation, in similar type of locations around the country.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps Louis not Louise?

Unless of course Normandie has info on Louis we don't!:D;)
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »

Yeah, fess up Normandie, no point keeping these things to yourself.
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »

>slaps self repeatedly<
    Oh for crying out loud, how could I be so dim!

Although, you could be right :D

Thanks ewoodie.
This discussion has been closed.