Jack Reacher, anyone??

2»

Comments

• jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have read all the Jack Reacher books and loved them. Tom Cruise was the worst possible choice to play Jack Reacher.

Yes I completely agree , love them all especially the early ones 4 blind mice. The person who I see as Jack is a bigger Kris Kristofferson lookalike.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Yes I completely agree , love them all especially the early ones 4 blind mice. The person who I see as Jack is a bigger Kris Kristofferson lookalike.

I tend to picture Adam Baldwin when I read the books. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000284/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm
  • warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read three of them. They are good stories.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »

4 blind mice is by James Patterson not Lee child.....
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I've read all the JR books, the first one I read was Killing Floor, and after that I was hooked. I didn't think much to Tom Cruise being cast as the - 6'5", built like a brick s**t house, hands like dinner plates, never killed anyone who didn't deserve it and never had a woman turn him down Reacher, - but I must admit that if you overlooked his size, the film wasn't half bad, and Tom Cruise is a good actor. I haven't read the latest book yet, I'm still waiting for my friend to finish her copy. >:(:D.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read the one set in New York from a few years back, loved it but think that was more to do with the setting than anything else - tried the next couple in the series and they were a but meh to say the least.

A young Liam Neeson would have made a perfect JR.
  • jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Echo Burning, One Shot, The Hard Way and Back Luck and Trouble are my favourites. I haven't read the latest one as yet.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I have read them all apart from Personal. One shot and Echo Burning are my favourites.

I went to a book night with Lee Child a few years ago where he explained how Reacher got his name. As you may know, Lee Child is extremely tall, and when he was out of work he would go shopping a lot with his wife. He was always being asked " could you reach that down for me ? " by people who couldn't reach things on a high shelf. He thought it would be a good name for a character in a book.

Which is why I was so cheesed off when he sold out and let the midget play him in the film.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I was watching Avengers Assemble on telly the other night and thought Chris Hemsworth might be a good Reacher, he's certainly got the build for it. He might be a little young but then Reacher must have been in his early 30s when the stories started.
  • noel43noel43 Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    It was weird casting on that movie- Cruise was the worst possible Reacher, but Herzog was the best possible Zek.

Basically, it needed about twenty minutes more Zek, and a foot and a half more Reacher.

I think Mark Harmon would have been a great Reacher.
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read most of the Reacher books and mostly enjoyed them. They all tend to blend into one though and I can't remember any of the titles apart from 61 hours. That I remember for the annoying countdown that really didn't serve any purpose.

Lately I'm finding that I'm getting a bit tired of him essentially being a walking tank and a genious at deduction. Quite a lot of the plot rely on him correctly guessing where the bad guy is. Sort of "He came into town from the west. People from the west usualy turn left at the 3rd junction, There's 3 hotels in the area and the guy is left handed so he'll choose the one with the green door" Then he'll wllk straight in and punch everyone to death. :D

While I do like his books for what they are, I prefer Simon Kernick's books, which are similar type but with more human characters (even if the heroes are sometimes bad guys).