Francesca

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phylogeny wrote: »
    I wonder if the sound system in the studio affects the judges' comments. I mean, sometimes they catch something, sometimes only one does, and sometimes everyone misses it. We end up scratching our heads wondering if we heard the same thing.

Yes possibly. It just seemed a bit strange last Saturday when ALW noticed something about many of the performances that the other judges didn't even mention.

The way he spoke about Fran's performance made it seem like it was quite clear that she'd missed some important notes - which made DVO and JB sound a bit daft. Especially as JB had called it superb (3 times, as he does). If they can't hear something that well because of the sound, how can they be so sure that a performance has been that good? It works both ways I guess.

It was Daniel I think who mentioned the acoustics. Interestingly, Fran has said that she herself couldn't hear when she had lost her 'pitch' - which must have made ALW's comments harder to deal with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Hot_Topics wrote: »
    Yes possibly. It just seemed a bit strange last Saturday when ALW noticed something about many of the performances that the other judges didn't even mention.

The way he spoke about Fran's performance made it seem like it was quite clear that she'd missed some important notes - which made DVO and JB sound a bit daft. Especially as JB had called it superb (3 times, as he does). If they can't hear something that well because of the sound, how can they be so sure that a performance has been that good? It works both ways I guess.

It was Daniel I think who mentioned the acoustics. Interestingly, Fran has said that she herself couldn't hear when she had lost her 'pitch' - which must have made ALW's comments harder to deal with.

AlW sits a ways from the rest of the panel. That could account for differences in what he heard.

That sucks if Francesca couldn't hear herself. It makes me wonder how many other singers lost out or did a poor performance because of technical issues with the sound. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shes brilliant as Joanne
    BUT
    so far her performances havent been up to standard
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds harsh, but surely if the acoustics are off for one performer, they're not going to be great for the next? They're not just going to suddenly sort themselves out - everyone has the same problems, surely? Some deal with it better than others.

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting Fran made it a bigger deal than it was - I'm on her side! Just saying ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    ToySoldier wrote: »
    It sounds harsh, but surely if the acoustics are off for one performer, they're not going to be great for the next? They're not just going to suddenly sort themselves out - everyone has the same problems, surely? Some deal with it better than others.

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting Fran made it a bigger deal than it was - I'm on her side! Just saying ;)

Good point. But maybe, depending on where the performer is when they hit the note or whatever, the acoustic may make them sound differently....?

Also, if the band is too loud sometimes, then some girls may not be able to hear themselves sing. But I'm not a singer so I don't know how that affects a performance. :sleep:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    hey, i really like Francesca, prob one of the best ones there, i know she is struggling with her pitching but i saw her in rent and she was completely note perfect, she was prob one of the best ones in the cast along with the guy that played roger. anyway hope she can really pull a good performance out the bag this week.
    Luv Louise
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    It's interesting that in pro circles, Fran and Rachel seem to be very much the favourites, yet here, where it's more audience members and less professional performers, they're not particularly popular. Anyone who's on facebook, look at this group ("Make Francesca Nancy") http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14676025699 Loads of the officers are west end performers or minor celebrities of some sort - including Leanne Jones from Hairspray, who was involved in last week's task!!
    Forum Member
    oh yea, thats really interesting angel cake, i really think it's a shame though, i actually work backstage on theatre productions so that may be why i do support Rachel and Francesca more so than some of the other contestants, i do really like sam as well however i just feel she's too young along with jessie and niamh coz they have the rest of their lives for this but being 17, not so much. i hope francesca can gain more support as she really deserves this part.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fran has been one of my favourites since the beginning - it seems that having seen the flak she's been getting, her supporters are making their voice heard now. Hope it gives her the confidence to show what she can do.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angel_cake wrote: »
    It's interesting that in pro circles, Fran and Rachel seem to be very much the favourites, yet here, where it's more audience members and less professional performers, they're not particularly popular. Anyone who's on facebook, look at this group ("Make Francesca Nancy") http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14676025699 Loads of the officers are west end performers or minor celebrities of some sort - including Leanne Jones from Hairspray, who was involved in last week's task!!

Yes, I thought that was interesting to see too. And on she has a similar "make Francesca Nancy" Myspace page. Her friends include Idina Menzel and JB himself :confused:
    Forum Member
    i'm gonna try vote for her quite a few times this week, i don't normally vote on shows like this but i think i will make an exception whos with me?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm definitely going to vote for Fran, even though I don't usually vote. I really want her to stay in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,842
    Forum Member
    Ooh yay, this is almost turning into an appreciation thread!

Fran and Leanne'll have made their West End debuts at a similar time, won't they? I'm not surprised that she's backing Francesca - she'll be the most likely girl for Leanne to know, then.

I've heard about people not being able to hear the band or having difficulties due to the acoustics before - and I think a lot of that may depend on the song. It would be somewhat annoying if Francesca's being put off by the very song she's trying to sing!

As we know Francesca can sing really well - and indeed did so on the West End, I think it's a real pity that she's so far not showing her potential. However, I have faith that she'll be able to do well if she just pulls out some consistency.

I should point out, however, that my support is often the kiss of death for a contestant... perhaps I should switch to someone I don't like so much? :o:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ToySoldier wrote: »

She didn't make a big deal of it, she just mentioned it in an interview on the Beeb's official website. She was explaining that her pitching has never been an issue prior to these shows and that she couldn't actually hear that she had gone 'out of pitch' as I think she put it - so what Andrew said was a bit worrying. I'm paraphrasing here - probably best if you read the actual interview!

It's good to see more people voicing their support for her, after she got so much flak at the start. I have to admit that Sam is/was my favourite from when the final 12 were chosen, whereas Fran has definitely grown on me gradually.

It's a shame if the Wicked task, in which Fran apparently did really well, isn't shown until the Sunday show - by which timing voting will be over. At least it should go in her favour with ALW should she find herself in the bottom 2 (which I hope she doesn't).
    Forum Member
    Vocal coach Claire Moore's view:

"Again, the comments Francesca got from Andrew last week about her pitch really knocked her confidence. The comments were valid and she knows that, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the way she sings or her ear. I think the problem is more psychological. Francesca is such a hard worker that in a way, all she needs to do is lay back and relax. If she just relaxes and sings, the pitch will sort itself out."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zankoku87 wrote: »
    I should point out, however, that my support is often the kiss of death for a contestant... perhaps I should switch to someone I don't like so much? :o:D

Same here! I never seem to pick the winner as my fave. Doesn't bode well for Sam or Fran ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vocal coach Claire Moore's view:

"Again, the comments Francesca got from Andrew last week about her pitch really knocked her confidence. The comments were valid and she knows that, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the way she sings or her ear. I think the problem is more psychological. Francesca is such a hard worker that in a way, all she needs to do is lay back and relax. If she just relaxes and sings, the pitch will sort itself out."

Well that's easier said than done! :rolleyes: I can appreciate what she's saying, but now it's possible that Fran will be worrrying about being relaxed enough on top of everything else...
    Forum Member
    Well that's easier said than done! :rolleyes: I can appreciate what she's saying, but now it's possible that Fran will be worrrying about being relaxed enough on top of everything else...

Yeah. I assume that Claire and the performance coach will be working on getting her to relax through performance. As I think has been said, Lloyd Webber's comments last Saturday could be just what she needed to pull her performances up a gear.
    Forum Member
    Sorry for the double post!

Just found this audio of Tango: Maureen from the Rent Remixed rehearsals, which is sung between Francesca and Oliver Thornton. It's a better quality audio than the other Rent clips posted on here, though the arrangement might be a bit scary to those used to the original production... it's very Hernando's Hideaway!

EDIT: Haha, forgot to include the link!

Clicky!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,007
    Forum Member

I don't think it made JB sound daft- it was a "superb" performance. The vocal went off a couple of times, but other than that the performance itself was excellent. Fran is possibly the strongest actress in this competition (that's coming from a big Sarah & Jodie fan) and Nancy as a role is equally, if not more, focused on acting ability than it is on singing ability.

I hope that made sense. Lol.

*edit*

Just found this which sees her standing shoulder-to-shoulder with DVO. And she looks fab. You can also hear that her voice is stronger than DVOs in the wee section where the three girls sing... interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzI5tSKWE5c&eurl=http://www.truveo.com/Tango-Maureen-from-Rent-Remixed/id/1537078477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LaLaLaur wrote: »
    I don't think it made JB sound daft- it was a "superb" performance. The vocal went off a couple of times, but other than that the performance itself was excellent. Fran is possibly the strongest actress in this competition (that's coming from a big Sarah & Jodie fan) and Nancy as a role is equally, if not more, focused on acting ability than it is on singing ability.

I hope that made sense. Lol.

Yes it did make sense - and don't get me wrong, I really like Fran. I just meant that it seemed daft when DVO and JB failed to even mention that some notes were 'off', and they were the big 'important' notes which ALW then made quite a big deal about.

I agree that she acts songs brilliantly (although she does need to stop fiddling with her hair quite so much) but unfortunately the pitching issue is in danger of over-shadowing that element of her performance, especially if ALW feels the need to keep bringing it up.
    Forum Member
    please please vote for fran tonight, coz i have a feeling if she is in the bottom two with keisha, ALW will save Keisha and i feel this might be because he under pressure from the BBC to be 'Politically Correct'. so please VOTE FRAN.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,583
    Forum Member
    LaLaLaur wrote: »
    *edit*

Just found this which sees her standing shoulder-to-shoulder with DVO. And she looks fab. You can also hear that her voice is stronger than DVOs in the wee section where the three girls sing... interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzI5tSKWE5c&eurl=http://www.truveo.com/Tango-Maureen-from-Rent-Remixed/id/1537078477

Interesting ... Francesca certainly sounds more professional than Denise on there, IMO. I hope the tech issues are sorted out tonight and that she doesn't have a song that requires too many sudden key changes ("Lord Knows" in 'Hero' etc) and *fingers crossed* she could still be in this time next week.
    Forum Member
    Interesting ... Francesca certainly sounds more professional than Denise on there, IMO. I hope the tech issues are sorted out tonight and that she doesn't have a song that requires too many sudden key changes ("Lord Knows" in 'Hero' etc) and *fingers crossed* she could still be in this time next week.

What I don't understand is why Denise is even singing in that bit, least of all her understudy as well! I have a sneaking suspicion they wanted Denise to sing it because she was the biggest name in the show, but it was during the time she was ill, so they whacked CJ in to make it a trio...

Oh, and I fully expect Francesca's song to have about thirty key-changes this week, just so she'll trip on them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, and I fully expect Francesca's song to have about thirty key-changes this week, just so she'll trip on them!

D'you think? I'm not sure they want her to leave the competition that badly, not yet anyway. They know that she is one of the best actresses there and I reckon they'll want to keep her in with a shot for a bit longer, to be on the safe side.

I know Andrew has voiced his concerns, but he does still say that she deserves to stay in the competition.

Could all depend on tonight I guess.