Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 62)

Comments

• Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Birds Of A Feather on Christmas Day.

Thats an option they have as discussed earlier but it could underperform against better opposition so might be better elsewhere.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Birds Of A Feather on Christmas Day.

Wouldn't normally do this but

Coronation street 7.30-830
    Birds of a Feather 8.30
    Downton Abbey 9-11pm

And they might even win the night for a change.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »

Birds of a Feather 8.30
    Downton Abbey 9-11pm

They'd do well but still wouldn't win the night. Miranda and Mrs Brown's Boys would do very well opposite Downton.
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Thats an option they have as discussed earlier but it could underperform against better opposition so might be better elsewhere.

That's true. But I think it would make ITV more competitive on the night. If Birds faced Doctor Who I think Birds would win. I can't see Doctor Who beating that or Corrie.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    kwynne42 wrote: »

Birds of a Feather 8.30
    Downton Abbey 9-11pm

Downton couldn't win its slot at the height of its popularity so I don't know how you expect it to win after this year's poorer series and are we forgetting the big drop for Birds of a feathers across the run. It was barely ahead of Pound shop wars in the overnights by the end of its run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They'd do well but still wouldn't win the night. Miranda and Mrs Brown's Boys would do very well opposite Downton.

That's true. But I think it would make ITV more competitive on the night. If Birds faced Doctor Who I think Birds would win. I can't see Doctor Who beating that or Corrie.

The BBC could also throw SOAH in as a wildcard too.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Cant see BOAF or CS being on early enough to face DW.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Decent for Eastenders to be stable usually it's a fair bit less on Friday compared to Thursday.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    Decent for Eastenders to be stable usually it's a fair bit less on Friday compared to Thursday.

Maybe some extra support from "Still Open All Hours" helped stabilise the audience drifting to other channels as they waited for it.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Not sure its down to Gogglebox. IAC has had 5m oppostion earlier in the week and rated better. More like less people watching tv last night as normal for Fridays.

It's down 1.7m on the same Friday episode from last year incl +1. I think it's more to do with the dull camp mates than Gogglebox or it being a Friday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    It's down 1.7m on the same Friday episode from last year incl +1. I think it's more to do with the dull camp mates than Gogglebox or it being a Friday.

So "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here" is also dealing with an audience loss from last years overnight results.

I'm very surprised that nothing seems to be sticking at the same level it was at last year. Although the shares are probably still very good for the show.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disappointing for I'm A Celebrity - previous series cannot necessarily be described as 'freaks' just to explain away declines. 2010 saw 'freak' figures for The X Factor but it's dropped every year since.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things it's still doing well but it's summing up a difficult year for ITV.

I'm not sure if 6.5m can be described as 'good' for EastEnders in November, even if it is Friday. Still Open All Hours performed strongly while the 9pm comedies held up for BBC One.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How did Corrie do last night.
    Eastenders figure is not that good but the fact it didn't fall to 6.1-62 which is what feared after Thursday's is a positive sign. It also only fell 0.3 the whole week while corrie will probably fall close to or even over a million across the week.
    Hopefully Eastenders will be above 7 million again on Monday. Do sadly think it may fall again in Christmas Day and may even be beaten by corrie again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Disappointing for I'm A Celebrity - previous series cannot necessarily be described as 'freaks' just to explain away declines. 2010 saw 'freak' figures for The X Factor but it's dropped every year since.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things it's still doing well but it's summing up a difficult year for ITV.

I'm not sure if 6.5m can be described as 'good' for EastEnders in November, even if it is Friday. Still Open All Hours performed strongly while the 9pm comedies held up for BBC One.

Mmm "EastEnders" was getting around similar figures in the summer wasn't it. 6.5 is not spectacular for end of November. However it has remained stable from the previous evening.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Big year-on-year drop for IAC. It's still huge but after a promising hold on Monday from a slightly low launch, fair to say things have gone a bit south.

Suspect it's all down to the cast this year. Not as good a mix as previous years maybe.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Is that a good rating for Still Open All Hours since I'm assuming it was a repeat of the previous special?
    Yeah. Great number for that. I was expecting about a million less.
  • Options
    aberdaberdonianaberdaberdonian Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    #ImACeIebrity was yesterday's most watched with 8.16m/36.5%. On BBC1, #HIGNFY drew 3.77m/16.1% and #NotGoingOut averaged 3.14m/13.7%.

Looks like Gogglebox dented I'm A Celebrity.

Although not setting the world alight, that rating for not going out looks quite good. Perhaps not the share, but the raw numbers ( considering the stronger opposition on ITV) seems decent.
    If it consolidates by around about 1m, is it gonna rank as 'the best of the rest' outside MBB, Miranda and BOAF* for comedies this year?

*and most probably SOAH
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Mmm "EastEnders" was getting around similar figures in the summer wasn't it. 6.5 is not spectacular for end of November. However it has remained stable from the previous evening.

I guess the important thing was to stabilise it before Christmas but it's at a low level - lower than the Kirkwood and Newman reigns during this period despite the relative lack of criticism.

That's why I agree with those who say Stuart Blackburn needs to leave Coronation Street now - the rot is starting to set it but if it's allowed to fester then it's going to be very hard to turn the ship fully around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    basdfg wrote: »
    How did Corrie do last night.
    Eastenders figure is not that good but the fact it didn't fall to 6.1-62 which is what feared after Thursday's is a positive sign. It also only fell 0.3 the whole week while corrie will probably fall close to or even over a million across the week.
    Hopefully Eastenders will be above 7 million again on Monday. Do sadly think it may fall again in Christmas Day and may even be beaten by corrie again.

On present form EE and CS will be down on Xmas Day.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was a repeat.

They have just finished recording six new episodes, the last at Teddington last night which was actually the last show made at Teddington before the studios close for good.Can't quite understand why it was billed as a BBC Salford production as the exteriors were done in Doncaster and the interiors at Teddington which is 200 miles from Salford. They have perfectly good studio facilities at Salford.Obviously some BBC bureaucratic quirk.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corri- 7.31mil & 7.07mil
    ED- 5.79mil

Not great for those two soaps neither. ED epically looks low.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Big year-on-year drop for IAC. It's still huge but after a promising hold on Monday from a slightly low launch, fair to say things have gone a bit south.

Suspect it's all down to the cast this year. Not as good a mix as previous years maybe.

Looking at the figure it appears as though it didn't get 8m excluding +1. I have no idea why the show was 90 minutes last night - nothing special happened and they didn't need to 'catch up' on anything. Was the equivalent episode that length last year? I wonder if people swinched off throughout to go out for the evening, meaning the 10-10.30 slot was down in the low 7s, maybe high 6s. Does anyone have the breakdown, please? :blush::)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corri- 7.31mil & 7.07mil
    ED- 5.79mil

Emmerdale quite low through it's always been a bit unstable from day to day.
    Corrie I seriously expected to be under 7 Million considering Wednesday's ratings. If it wasn't for I'm a Celeb the second one probably would have been. Surprised the first one rose from Wednesday.
    What are all he soaps down Year on Year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corri- 7.31mil & 7.07mil
    ED- 5.79mil

Are they excluding or including +1 and do you have the shares please? :)

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise DS report was up. No +1 figures reported for Coronation Street which suggests they were under 100k. Emmerdale got 178k on +1. Share wise think I read 35.6% for first Coronation Street and just 32% for the second. Emmerdale pulled in 30%. The +1 share was 0.8%.

That's awful for Coronation Street and, frankly, not that much better for Emmerdale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    I guess the important thing was to stabilise it before Christmas but it's at a low level - lower than the Kirkwood and Newman reigns during this period despite the relative lack of criticism.

That's why I agree with those who say Stuart Blackburn needs to leave Coronation Street now - the rot is starting to set it but if it's allowed to fester then it's going to be very hard to turn the ship fully around.

I do think that they seem to be doing all they can with "EastEnders" but the ratings don't show any type of revival. A year in and even Dominic Treadwell Collins can't get it to move or grow much or halt any decline. He's gone all out to stabilise it, he has achieved that but the difficulty is getting any new audience to habitually watch. That elusive couple of million. I can't comment on "Coronation Street" as I never see any of its episodes so not sure how its quality compares, but it seems ahead in the ratings from the other two soaps. I have watched two "EastEnders" but finished neither as its a difficult watch and not firing on all cylinders coming into December. Some poor acting and writing doesn't help it recovery, and again lack of cliffhangers.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    They have just finished recording six new episodes, the last at Teddington last night which was actually the last show made at Teddington before the studios close for good.Can't quite understand why it was billed as a BBC Salford production as the exteriors were done in Doncaster and the interiors at Teddington which is 200 miles from Salford. They have perfectly good studio facilities at Salford.Obviously some BBC bureaucratic quirk.

They didn't want to travel up there and preferred working in London. Waterloo Road was a BBC Scotland production but filmed in Rochdale.

Sounds like the BBC didn't order a Christmas special. Whoops!
This discussion has been closed.