Going to a gig/concert on your own?

MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it a bit strange?:confused:
I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm going to a Lana gig next month and I can't decide whether to go solo or with a friend.
I think I'd actually get more enjoyment if I was on my own as my friend hasn't a clue who Lana is and seems more interested in going for the sake of a free ticket to a highly anticipated, sold out gig.
I've told my friend that I want to queue early but she said she doesn't want to, and will instead just join me later in the queue right before the doors open:rolleyes:
I'm concerned that my friend will also be bored/lacking enthusiasm during the gig itself and that in turn would spoil my enjoyment of it:(

I'm thinking I would probably enjoy the whole experience much better by myself but would it be strange to go on your own?!
I don't know what to do:confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to numerous gigs where people have come on their own. Nothing wrong with it, I once went to a Morrissey gig and the guy next to me had come by himself.

At the end of the day you're all there for the same reason and all are likely to be fans of the artist in front of you.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done it loads of time, you'll be fine. Just bring an umbrella, food, water and plenty of entertainment (book/iPod etc) to pass the time while you're queueing. You'll most likely get talking to people in the queue and you'll see other people there on their own.

Anyway who cares if anyone thinks you're strange? It's not like you'll ever have to see those people again.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been to a few on my own, mainly because my friends aren't able to get time of work or aren't into the artist in question - if said artist has a forum on there site I normally post and see if anyone wants to meet up pre gig - couple of times it's worked and I've meet some new friends this way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    If I'd went to the Lana gig alone, I would've gotten a spot in the front row, and I could've hugged/touched Lana when she went into the audience. :( Instead I got to stand behind two smelly, noisy, annoying people.
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've went to see Seasick Steve on my own a couple of years ago. It was fine. My partner's been to gigs on her own before too and was cool.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been to a few shows on my own. Its not an issue - people rarely pay much attention to who's standing next to them, when the act is on stage its all about them :)
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interesting, thanks guys!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Go on my own every time, you have no one else to please but yourself. You are there for the music after all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I go to gigs on my own all the time, it's not strange at all - plenty of people do it, and besides, nobody's going to be paying any attention to what you're doing or who you have/haven't come with. Once the music starts, all eyes are on the performers anyway - so the only real benefit of going with someone else is having someone to keep you occupied before it begins.
  • jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally would find it strange. I've got cerebral palsy and im in a wheelchair so i cant go on my own. but even if i wasnt disabled i would find it strange because when i go to concerts im always up dancing with my pals and thats what makes it more enjoyable and fun. in saying that, if i wasnt disabled and was absolutely desperate to go then i would go on my own but i dont think i would enjoy it as much
  • monochrome headmonochrome head Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I've done it a few times but then I have been to many gigs over the years, probably a couple of hundred and on my own maybe ten. It can be ok but I'm naturally self conscious so I don't really enjoy it. I find smaller gigs to be the worst as you feel like you stand out more and it's especially bad in the breaks between the support and main act or any gaps really.
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love gigs on my own. I have a really different music taste to my friends so I got sick of missing out on my favourite bands and artists because no one would come. It can be a little awkward at first but I usually get talking to someone. :)

I'm going to a Lana gig next month too (on my own) well providing the ticket arrives from ebay. lol.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    Is it a bit strange?:confused:
    I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm going to a Lana gig next month and I can't decide whether to go solo or with a friend.
    I think I'd actually get more enjoyment if I was on my own as my friend hasn't a clue who Lana is and seems more interested in going for the sake of a free ticket to a highly anticipated, sold out gig.
    I've told my friend that I want to queue early but she said she doesn't want to, and will instead just join me later in the queue right before the doors open:rolleyes:
    I'm concerned that my friend will also be bored/lacking enthusiasm during the gig itself and that in turn would spoil my enjoyment of it:(

I'm thinking I would probably enjoy the whole experience much better by myself but would it be strange to go on your own?!
    I don't know what to do:confused:

I'm going to 3 gigs this - 2 of which alone. I too am going to Lana alone (also John Grant).
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'd go on my own if I had nobody to go with and if I was going to a gig none of my friends would be interested in. I don't think there's anything strange about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going on your own to a gig is perfectly acceptable - previously I thought it wasn't and missed a few potential great experiences. If I was a fan of an act that no one I knew was into, then I felt like I would have to buy the ticket for a friend to go with me. This had the risk that they may not enjoy it and it would slightly affect my enjoyment of the overall experience.

Realised one day that I've only got one life and I couldn't keep missing stuff and if I wanted to see a concert I couldn't keep waiting for others and now I do it often.