Former Polish Finance Minister : Britain's negotiating position is very weak

EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
Forum Member
✭✭✭
"The UK, without a presence at those talks, will simply have to accept or reject whatever the EU offers. This would be true even if the UK pursued a prepackaged arrangement such as membership in the European Economic Area or the EU customs union; it will be all the more true if the UK seeks a “bespoke” deal, as May has indicated she will.

If British voters recognised their country’s weak negotiating position, the Brexiteers, who won the referendum on their promise to “take back control,” would face a political disaster. Walking away from substantive negotiations is the simplest way to avoid such an embarrassing unmasking.

Thus, politically, a hard Brexit is actually the soft option for the government. Economically, however, hard Brexit will come at a high price, which the UK will have to pay for years to come."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/analysis/politically-a-hard-brexit-is-soft-option-425078.html

Comments

• huddsbluehuddsblue Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's hit the nail on the head.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huddsblue wrote: »

Agreed.

It's why they are desperate to not get Parliament involved.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He raises an intriguing point. If and when the UK enters into negotiations with the EU, it will become very evident to the British public that the government has no cards up its sleeve and no bargaining chips. In that case, they could decide to go straight for a hard Brexit and pretend this was their favoured option all along (to cover up the fact that they have nothing to bargain with).
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But "They'd be mad not to offer us a great deal"! All those BMWs we buy!

I remember being told this frequently. Are you telling me this was a brexit lie? I'm shocked.

:-/
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    No,the Polish minister is worried that all his jobless might return to Poland and claim there
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    No,the Polish minister is worried that all his jobless might return to Poland and claim there

I thought the Poles were stealing our jobs. Make your mind up.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,908
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    He raises an intriguing point. If and when the UK enters into negotiations with the EU, it will become very evident to the British public that the government has no cards up its sleeve and no bargaining chips. In that case, they could decide to go straight for a hard Brexit and pretend this was their favoured option all along (to cover up the fact that they have nothing to bargain with).

A few weeks ago before a parliamentary committee David Davis was very cocky that he had something up his sleeve if there was no agreement with the EU, yesterday in the House of Commons he revealed he had nothing up his sleeve.
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    The EU will offer the UK a good deal if it will benefit the EU.

The Brexiters who think that the EU will offer the UK a good deal regardless are as deluded as those Trumpeters who think that because the UK will be at the front of the queue in a Trump presidency that the deal will be good for the UK.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do these foreign spokespeople believe to be the outcome of keep running down our country? Nore determination from Brexit voters and even creating disharmony amongst the less enthusiastic remain voters. If Britain slagged off countries the way others are slagging us off, you lot would be up in arms. Never in my 47 years have I witnessed such anti-British attitudes than on here. Our negotiations will be whatever we want them to be. If the EU are pathetic about it then it justifies my vote as far as Im concerned.
  • James_OrtonJames_Orton Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weak compared to who? The US? Canada? Korea?
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At a guess, the logic is presumably that they were jobless over there before coming over here to be employed and if they returned they would be jobless again?
  • Thor_NoggssonThor_Noggsson Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member

So far as I can see most Poles have jobs but if they return home they'll be jobless.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well thanks for that Mr. Rostowsk, you managed to both insult leave voters and bore them with stuff they have heard ad nauseum and it seems you don't know the difference between access to the single market and being in it.
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

I spend a lot of time in Poland and it's a massive concern for the Poles that large numbers will be returning and that's mostly due to the fact that vast numbers left from areas with high unemployment. This kind of migration has had a very significant impact in some places, with schools closing due to the numbers of kids falling etc., so if a high % chose to return (and believe me, many would if, for example, access to benefits was still more restricted) it would be a disaster. It's a hot topic on Polish tv, that and the impact to the Polish economy should the flow of cash being sent back by working, the the UK, Poles dry up.
  • Maggie 55Maggie 55 Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have the best negotiating position possible.

We have the money and they want it!

Maggie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maggie 55 wrote: »

Maggie

We have the debt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »

Poland is looking forward to their brain drain ending.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maggie 55 wrote: »

Maggie

Anyone know where to start with this one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poland is looking forward to their brain drain ending.

The problem will be that low skilled workers will go home, the high skilled will stay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know where to start with this one?

It is true. There is plenty of evidence that states Polish workers are removing money from the UK market by transferring it home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    What do these foreign spokespeople believe to be the outcome of keep running down our country? Nore determination from Brexit voters and even creating disharmony amongst the less enthusiastic remain voters. If Britain slagged off countries the way others are slagging us off, you lot would be up in arms. Never in my 47 years have I witnessed such anti-British attitudes than on here. Our negotiations will be whatever we want them to be. If the EU are pathetic about it then it justifies my vote as far as Im concerned.

I'm sure the ex-Polish minister would say he is 'anti-Brexit' as a political ideology rather than anti-Britain. Reading through his article, he seems very well informed about the nature of the debate that is taking place in the UK at the moment.
  • DingbatDingbat Posts: 2,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is true. There is plenty of evidence that states Polish workers are removing money from the UK market by transferring it home.

Well, some of what's left after paying their UK tax and NI, rent, food, drink, etc, etc.

After all, if a Brit is working abroad, they spend every penny they earn in the country they work in, don't they?
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    It boils down to the UK has to make a deal with the EU, the EU doesn't have to make a deal with the UK.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It boils down to the UK has to make a deal with the EU, the EU doesn't have to make a deal with the UK.

Neither side has to make a deal but it boils down to both sides agreeing on a post Brexit agreement that is mutually beneficial to both.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Neither side has to make a deal but it boils down to both sides agreeing on a post Brexit agreement that is mutually beneficial to both.

"The UK, without a presence at those talks, will simply have to accept or reject whatever the EU offers."

I'm not sure 'mutually beneficial' will even come into it : Britain might have to accept whatever they're offered by the EU or else go for a hard Brexit.