My vet accidently killed my cat

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
Forum Member
Very long story but to keep it short my cat had been in the vets for c. 2 weeks being treated for neurological conditions. Had tests and op to drain fluid in inner ear and all seemed fine and hoping to have him back home within next few days - a day later the vet was concerned that my cat was struggling to swallow and rang to say they were going to insert a feeding tube. Reassured all very straightforward - but on inserting the tube they punctured his esophagus and stopped oxygen getting to his lungs. and he passed away. Absolutely devasted and miss him so much but now been left with a vet bill for £6k and don't know where I stand.

My vets are saying I have to pay. I don't think my pet insurance will cover it all (probably half?) but my vets are saying we should try and claim what we can and then we can have a 'discussion' about the oustanding amount. I've not mentioned anything to my pet insurance company yet although I am still paying my premiums for a cat that died some weeks ago.

Would appreciate any advice on what my rights are and what I should do.

Comments

• susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JBarnes wrote: »
    Very long story but to keep it short my cat had been in the vets for c. 2 weeks being treated for neurological conditions. Had tests and op to drain fluid in inner ear and all seemed fine and hoping to have him back home within next few days - a day later the vet was concerned that my cat was struggling to swallow and rang to say they were going to insert a feeding tube. Reassured all very straightforward - but on inserting the tube they punctured his esophagus and stopped oxygen getting to his lungs. and he passed away. Absolutely devasted and miss him so much but now been left with a vet bill for £6k and don't know where I stand.

My vets are saying I have to pay. I don't think my pet insurance will cover it all (probably half?) but my vets are saying we should try and claim what we can and then we can have a 'discussion' about the oustanding amount. I've not mentioned anything to my pet insurance company yet although I am still paying my premiums for a cat that died some weeks ago.

Would appreciate any advice on what my rights are and what I should do.

£6000 seems a heck of a lot to pay even for 2 weeks' treatment. My cat was in for 2 weeks with diabetes getting intensive care and it only cost around £1500.

Mistakes happen, and your cat must have been very sick to have needed such care, so its death isn't perhaps unexpected, and one assumes the vet was trying to do the best thing. They do seem to be a bit money-obsessed under the circumstances, though.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I am very sorry to hear about your cat. One of my cats was killed due to a vet's carelessness so I know how you feel. He didn't charge me for the two days' inpatient treatment she had - and I wouldn't have paid him if he'd asked:mad:

£6K for two weeks' treatment sounds very high.

As a first step I would speak to your insurance company and fill in the forms etc so their part of the bill is paid. Then that leaves it up to the insurance company what gets paid.

I would also ask the vet to put in writing to you exactly what caused the death of your cat. -- I know they've told you, but it will be useful to have it in writing. Then if they hassle you for the remainder of the bill I would send them a copy of the letter and ask them to reconsider in view of the circumstances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would not stand for this!!!!
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    That is dreadful. I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't believe they're trying to make you pay!!
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JBarnes wrote: »

My vets are saying I have to pay. I don't think my pet insurance will cover it all (probably half?) but my vets are saying we should try and claim what we can and then we can have a 'discussion' about the oustanding amount. .
    It sounds like your vet wants to be paid what you can claim from the insurance, & suggesting he's willing to forego the outstanding coming out of your own pocket?

Agree with Lippincote's advice.

So sorry about your poor cat:cry:
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    That is dreadful. I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't believe they're trying to make you pay!!
    I am so sorry that you have lost your cat through what sounds like 'negligence' and hopefully you won't pay them!!!!

I agree with you that is a ridiculous amount to expect you or an insurance company to pay out and vets have got beyond a joke in what they charge us small animal owners. They just assume everyone is insured and even insurance companies say that vets' charges have become extortionate in recent years!!!! :eek:

A vet who lives beside a friend of mine said that some time ago, vets started charging farmers LESS for their animal care and MORE for our beloved pets because we're more emotional and will pay anything to make our pets well.

Seemingly some farmers were too tight to call out vets to treat some of their poorly animals and would let them suffer or kill them because some weren't worth as much at market as the vets call-out charges so from my understanding, farmers pay less and we pay more!!!! :mad:
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    I told my mum about this. She was disgusted that they're charging you. She reckons you should take them to court if they insist on payment. £6k is absurd!

I really feel for you.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    sorry for your poor cat- the bill's disgraceful!!!!!

Get a full breakdown, before maybe getting legal advice??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    I told my mum about this. She was disgusted that they're charging you. She reckons you should take them to court if they insist on payment. £6k is absurd!

I really feel for you.
    I told my friend and she said you should threaten to take them to court and sue for negligence... surely they should have had a vet who was experienced enough to insert a soft tube safely in your poor cat's throat! Don't pay them anything at the moment... once paid it would be hard to do anything!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    I am so sorry that you have lost your cat through what sounds like 'negligence' and hopefully you won't pay them!!!!

I agree with you that is a ridiculous amount to expect you or an insurance company to pay out and vets have got beyond a joke in what they charge us small animal owners. They just assume everyone is insured and even insurance companies say that vets' charges have become extortionate in recent years!!!! :eek:

A vet who lives beside a friend of mine said that some time ago, vets started charging farmers LESS for their animal care and MORE for our beloved pets because we're more emotional and will pay anything to make our pets well.

Seemingly some farmers were too tight to call out vets to treat some of their poorly animals and would let them suffer or kill them because some weren't worth as much at market as the vets call-out charges so from my understanding, farmers pay less and we pay more!!!! :mad:

I think that's the vet spinning the truth. Farmers need vets more than other people who just have pets, so the vet will charge them less as over time they will do more work. One sick animal can wipe out a whole herd (see what happened during foot and mouth when even healthy animals/herds were killed as a precaution).
    Back to the OP - £6k for two weeks treatment seems very excessive. I'd advise to ask the vet for a complete itemisation before you do anything else.
  • therightdealtherightdeal Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would I shit pay.

Definitely take legal advice. If this was a routine operation, you may not have to pay, especially if it was down to carelessness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I told my friend and she said you should threaten to take them to court and sue for negligence... surely they should have had a vet who was experienced enough to insert a soft tube safely in your poor cat's throat! Don't pay them anything at the moment... once paid it would be hard to do anything!!!

Yup it does sound like negligence especially as the OP was reassured it was very straightforward!
  • JinnyJinxedJinnyJinxed Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would contact the vet in writing, (keep a copy of your letter for your records) and ask for a full breakdown of the complete bill, including medicine given, treatment, cost of stay, and out of hours supervision - everything.

Then also ask for a full written report of what happened during the incident, and the reason for the cause of death.

Read them both carefully when you have received this, in case it generates questions for you. It doesn't matter that they have already told you over the phone. And you do not have to explain why you require this information. You may need it to get more money from the insurance payout or for any further legal action in order to recoup lost money.

Contact your insurance company as soon as possible. While I realise this sounds dreadfully callous - I don't intend it to be - your poor loved one has passed on, and there is no point in continuing to pay premiums on this policy. Seek their advice. You may have an accidental death clause in your policy upon which will pay out a higher rate.

I am so sorry for your loss. It hurts so bad, when we part company with our pets - and in your circumstances, you have the added trauma of trying to deal with what happened too. I hope that this all gets sorted for you soon, and you can find peace in the happy memories you have of you and your cat's time together.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Don't pay, await vet to sue, then go to local paper about vet trying to profit out of negligence while owner grieves. Before the op, the vet would have got you to sign a form that would absolve them of responsibility if the pet dies, but a bit of bad publicity might change the vet's mind on trying to retrieve any financial rewards out of this sad story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, surely they would have had to ask your permission to rack up such a bill and to make sure you could afford it, because they would surely know that an insurance company is hardly likely to pay out so much -- or do they pay any amount vets care to charge?
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats outrageous! Im so sorry for your loss.:(
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Also, surely they would have had to ask your permission to rack up such a bill and to make sure you could afford it, because they would surely know that an insurance company is hardly likely to pay out so much -- or do they pay any amount vets care to charge?

When you say you have insurance, a vet will often rack up a bill in anticipation of it being paid regardless - some policies have a very high limit. But how they could rack up £6K I have no idea, and with a bill like that the insurance company will definitely want full details and could refuse to pay a proportion of it.

That is why I suggested handing it over to the insurance company - if they think it unreasonable the vet will have to fight them for it.

I wouldn't be looking to pay anything myself.
  • nikki1nikki1 Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry about the loss of your cat, agree with other posts, how does a bill come to 6k, you have been very lucky the vets practice have owned up to any mistakes, and it is unprofessional if you were not pre-warned of what your bill was amounting to. You should have been given an estimate with the choice to go ahead with the treatment or not.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can a human being justify paying £6000 for the health of an animal when there are people starving all over the world?
    I'm genuinely sorry that you are going through such a hard time and I've been told that losing a pet can be quite traumatic, however £6000, for an animal.

I'm sorry but that is nothing short of disgusting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anchorite wrote: »
    How can a human being justify paying £6000 for the health of an animal when there are people starving all over the world?
    I'm genuinely sorry that you are going through such a hard time and I've been told that losing a pet can be quite traumatic, however £6000, for an animal.

If that was what it took to save a much loved companion, then yes I think it's a price worth paying.

However it may be that the OP had no idea that the vet was racking up the fees. (Makes me wonder if the feeding tube thing was a necessary procedure or just an excuse to bump up the bill.. tho' that might be me being a bit too cynical).

There are people spending ridiculous amounts of money on material possessions like fine watches, or going on exotic holidays, or even eating out at posh restaurants... where will the moral outrage stop? & Perhaps these same people also give money to charity to help save the starving in third world countries?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

who made you boss of if the OP feels closer to their cat than an unknown starving person in africa? :rolleyes:

to the OP, I would suggest to the vet that their own business insurance should cover this figure for their negligence as it would if you were to sue them to recover these costs, if this does not do anything i would consider taking it further.
  • NewBallsPleaseNewBallsPlease Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why is somebody choosing to pay whatever amount for the care and treatment of their pet "disgusting"?

It's their friend, their companion, and in some cases, their child. Thankfully my cat has a happy and healthy life, but should something happen to him, I'd pay whatever the cost regardless. That doesn't make me "disgusting", it just means I care about, and value the animal I have shared 10+ years with.

As to the OP - some good advice in the thread, and sorry to hear about puss.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    If that was what it took to save a much loved companion, then yes I think it's a price worth paying.

However it may be that the OP had no idea that the vet was racking up the fees. (Makes me wonder if the feeding tube thing was a necessary procedure or just an excuse to bump up the bill.. tho' that might be me being a bit too cynical).

There are people spending ridiculous amounts of money on material possessions like fine watches, or going on exotic holidays, or even eating out at posh restaurants... where will the moral outrage stop? & Perhaps these same people also give money to charity to help save the starving in third world countries?

Yes, I see your point but why not give the extra £6000 to charity rather than spend it on a cat?

Also, it seems very, very foolish of someone to be 'suddenly' faced with a vet bill of that magnitude.

I may come across as 'heartless' and I apologise most sincerely if that is the case. I am just at a total loss as to how anyone could justify that amount of spent money on an animal.

In truth, I find it horrific :(
  • NewBallsPleaseNewBallsPlease Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lol - who are you to tell people how to spend their money?

You'll be sending your monthly earning to Unicef and living in a cardboard box on the Royal Mile, will you?
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I see your point but why not give the extra £6000 to charity rather than spend it on a cat?

Also, it seems very, very foolish of someone to be 'suddenly' faced with a vet bill of that magnitude.

I may come across as 'heartless' and I apologise most sincerely if that is the case. I am just at a total loss as to how anyone could justify that amount of spent money on an animal.

Why is it a horrific?....if a person loves the animal and it gives them pleasure, then why shouldn't they use their hard earned money to keep that animal happy and healthy rather than spend it on holidays, cars or clothes or some other means of enjoyment

I'm pretty sure I paid more than that over the 17 years for my Border Collies for various treatments and operations and have never regretted a penny of it.

Why don't people donate money instead of buying a wide screen TVs or pieces of expensive jewellery?