Options

Universal Job Match - Do NOT sign!

Comments

• Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florian wrote: »
    My advisor has asked me to sign up to this, do I have to? Also I have just seen a video about Universal Jobmatch on YouTube and how literally anyone can register as an employer whoever they are and whatever their intentions. Any fraudster from anywhere in the world etc.

What should I do? I do not really fancy creating a profile on the site and then having my personal data stolen by fraudsters.

Video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXxwu9mG0Mk

and they can't register on ANY OTHER job site???

only reason it's getting jip is because it a GOVERNMENT site :rolleyes: and people thinking they can HACK THE SITE to get info on people is another LIE!
  • Options
    FlorianFlorian Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Been doing some research and apparently they can only view your C.V IF you tick the box allowing them access.

You can create an account and if you do not tick the box allowing to view your account and C.V they cannot view it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »

only reason it's getting jip is because it a GOVERNMENT site :rolleyes: and people thinking they can HACK THE SITE to get info on people is another LIE!

People aren't being asked to register on other job sites under threat of sanction like is happening with Universal Jobmatch, people have a free choice whether they want to use other job sites.

Also I would expect a government website to not put people using it at risk. Just because other websites might be vulnerable isn't an excuse for the governments own site to be a security risk.

The fact that anyone can register as an employer anywhere in the world with absolutely no checks putting claimants data at risk from being stolen or harvested to me isn't acceptable from a government site that is funded by the taxpayer. Government websites have to be accountable.

This video explains how easy it could be for any fraudster to gain thousands of people's personal information: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXxwu9mG0Mk

Additionally here is a video report from Channel 4 News about a "security loophole" with Universal Jobmatch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX6Iuh6929s
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it happens because NO ONE checks who the "employers" are ..... THAT'S WHY!!!

the problem is that it's ONLINE ONLY!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it happens because NO ONE checks who the "employers" are ..... THAT'S WHY!!!

the problem is that it's ONLINE ONLY!

After further research there is absolutely no way that I am signing up with UJ until I have to. I am not going to put my data at risk.
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarah0890 wrote: »
    I only have my email address on my CVs at the minute - purely for the reason that a lot of jobs I applied for before Christmas were 'apply with CV into store' for seasonal jobs and I didn't want randomers being able to get my address etc.

Quick question - I'm not yet signed up to UJM (it's been recommended I do) and I have no plans to at the minute. I still use it to see what jobs are out there but half of them have no 'apply' button. Do all jobs have an apply button when you have an account and signed in? Or are the stupid government seriously expecting us to use a site when you can't even apply for a job as there is no apply button??
    To be honest, if you are leaving details such as your address off of your CV you are not very likely to get the job anyway.

Some jobs require you to apply via the UJ website, which means you need an account.
    I have created one, but I have not given them permission to view my account and I have no plans to do so.
    I will only ever sign in to it if a job requires you apply via the site.

With any other website you have the choice whether or not to sign up to it, it is totally your choice.

It may be a Government site, but it is ran by Monster . com, an American Company on behalf of the Government.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your looking for a job website try this

http://ec.europa.eu/eures/eures-searchengine/index.jsp?lg=en

In the drop down vacancy detail menu just click all occupations. It is a European gateway website and advertises jobs from the jobcentre, agencies, hospitals, civil service etc.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarah0890 wrote: »
    Do all jobs have an apply button when you have an account and signed in?

Most of them do. You get the odd one which doesn't but I'm not sure whether that's because of a bug or because the required skills don't match those you have on your profile and/or CV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    feckit wrote: »
    If your looking for a job website try this

http://ec.europa.eu/eures/eures-searchengine/index.jsp?lg=en

In the drop down vacancy detail menu just click all occupations. It is a European gateway website and advertises jobs from the jobcentre, agencies, hospitals, civil service etc.

Good website. Thank you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    The new rules at the jobcentre are starting to terrify me, stuff like traveling 90 minutes each way to a job, call me workshy but I have no intention of applying for jobs that far away. I haven't signed up to the Universal jobmatch site either and have no intention of doing so until I get made to.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new rules at the jobcentre are starting to terrify me, stuff like traveling 90 minutes each way to a job, call me workshy but I have no intention of applying for jobs that far away. I haven't signed up to the Universal jobmatch site either and have no intention of doing so until I get made to.
    unless its a higher level job, employers dont really want people travelling 90 minutes either.
  • Options
    PopadopalousPopadopalous Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't claim any benefits but I am seeking work. I think the UJM is a fantastic site and makes applying for jobs so easy. I have my CV uploaded and frequently find suitable jobs that I've applied for.

The search function is definitely flawed. I searched for jobs in my town and it shows jobs for 50 miles away even though I've selected '5 mile radius'.

Can't say I'd feel comfortable having a JCP employee look in to my account if I selected the relevant permission box.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The search function is definitely flawed. I searched for jobs in my town and it shows jobs for 50 miles away even though I've selected '5 mile radius'.

That's one of the biggest problems with it, for me. I live in a small Valleys town and I can almost understand getting results from all over South Wales, even when I select a 10-15 mile radius, because its an American site afterall so they've probably just lumped everywhere in together, but then I get lists of jobs in York, London, Glasgow, etc... I'm willing to commute within reason, but not to Scotland!
  • Options
    v0idv0id Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The upto 90 minute journey time each way is not a new rule ;)
  • Options
    the sandmanthe sandman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the jobcentre asks you why you won't give them access to your account, what's your reason?
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 10 mile radius from where I live to where I apply for jobs, any further than 10 miles and it would take over an hour to get there.
    I don't claim any benefits but I am seeking work. I think the UJM is a fantastic site and makes applying for jobs so easy. I have my CV uploaded and frequently find suitable jobs that I've applied for.

Can't say I'd feel comfortable having a JCP employee look in to my account if I selected the relevant permission box.
    But then you are not being forced into using this site or face getting sanctioned by removal of benefits like those who are claiming are going to be.

The search feature with anything JCP has been flawed for well over a year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    If the jobcentre asks you why you won't give them access to your account, what's your reason?
    You only need this one.
    It is an entirely voluntary action to give the DWP permission to access your account.
    You cannot be sanctioned for this.
    You do not and never will have to give your personal or account details to anyone,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes I have a search saved that is meant to be 30 miles, but it pulled up a job 50 miles away, no help at all. Always check on google maps, and clear your cookies after you visit.

Saying that despite it being Saturday, ive found two jobs worth applying for today, one of them via UJM, the other on another site.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I signed up to this to see what all the talk was about and after correctly putting my post code in the search, the first job on the results list was based in South Shields. Things have not changed then.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After 6 months of faffing about with the job centre, I'm so glad I just sent a spec letter to a well known supermarket and was employed a week later.

I sometimes wondered if the hassle of the job centre was worth £65 a week.
  • Options
    Sarah.1987Sarah.1987 Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just posted about this in Advice. My adviser seemed very disappointed when she couldn't access my account because I unticked the box which allowed her to, and she said I had to go home and change it as soon as possible.

Glad I don't actually have to now. I was worried about getting sanctioned!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Know your rights, it is illegal for the JobCentre to force you to allow them access to your Universal Jobmatch account:

http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2012/12/29/empty-threats-and-tantrums-are-all-iain-duncan-smith-has-left-in-universal-jobmatch-fiasco/

Do not believe the empty threats!
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend refused to join today, citing reasons on this thread (i.e. that it isn't compulsory) and was told she now had to apply for 16 jobs a week instead of 4!

I am sure this is nonsense, but can anybody back this up?

On the flipside, I am currently advertising for qualified accounting posts and thought UJS might be worth a quick ad, as it is free.

I got spammed with loads of unsuitable candidates who are obviously trying to meet their quotas (I don't blame them, it's just frustrating) and would never use it again. Quotas only waste everyone's time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    16 jobs a week, is ridiculous, but yeah that kind of attitude does the JCP no favours, I know far too many company's who dont advertise on the website for that reason.
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    16 jobs a week, is ridiculous, but yeah that kind of attitude does the JCP no favours, I know far too many company's who dont advertise on the website for that reason.

I would certainly use it if it worked - it's free and has lots of applicants, but I am time-pressed as it is and I just don't have time to wade through 40 unsuitable CVs. :(
This discussion has been closed.