Confused by the new chronology, following 'The Name of the Doctor'?

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sh'boobie wrote: »
    May I take this opportunity to state my very great pleasure, in being able to say - "I told you so". :p

Everyone who wrote me off my theory, simply dismissing it out of hand - please now form an orderly queue.

I am ready to graciously accept your apologies. FACT!!! :cool:
    Whoops. Posted before I saw this. That would seem pretty definitive.
  • OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    " all twelve of them?"
    "No! All 13!" [cut to capaldi's face]

Ergo: Capaldi = 13th doctor.

And then they forgot, to quote Dr Moon. Besides which the speaker probably gave that count based on the number of Tardis's.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    " all twelve of them?"

But did they say all 12 Doctors or all 13 Doctors?

If not. What they were saying was "all 12 incarnations of the person formerly known as the Doctor but currently known as the War Doctor/Warrior."

and then "No, all 13 incarnations of the person formerly known as, and in the future to be known as, the Doctor but currently known as the War Doctor/Warrior."

Except that that would have been a bit of a mouthful so they didn't say that :D
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If 10.5 counts as a regeneration then surely so should 11 healing River in TATM.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If 10.5 counts as a regeneration then surely so should 11 healing River in TATM.

Was the Doctor dying in TATM?

I don't care for the idea of a Time Lord being able to use Regeneration energy (even a little amount) whenever they want but it should be clear that the Doctor was not actually regenerating at that point.

Tennant's Doctor was shot by a Dalek he would be dead if he didn't use a regeneration.
  • OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member

The difference might be in the quantity of energy released. Though being able to heal others isn't a skill the Doctor exhibited before he was healed by River. Perhaps it's a bit like a gall bladder, some organ collects regenergy which means that timelords naturally have a small amount in their bodies at all times. In a crisis that organ releases the built up energy causing, under normal circumstances, a complete rebuild of the body. Choices then are either there's a single organ which can only be used 12 times or there are 12 and only one can be filled at a time. Either explanation would mean that it could take time after one regeneration to restock for the next.
    An alternate explanation would be that instead of there being a store of energy it's a store of some enzyme that neutralises what might be a nanite swarm that gets released when a regeneration is complete. That would allow a massive dose of an artificially created form of that to prevent regeneration. It would also mean that if you ran out of that then you'd regenerate to death or possibly into the state the Master was in in Deadly Assassin.
    To be honest a bit of ambiguity allows good stories to be written and as long as any inconsistencies aren't too apparent, important or are actually part of the plot then it's probably best we don't know everything. Despite the impression he gives the Doctor certainly doesn't know everything and that allows him to get round the rule about being unable to rewrite history. It's also why he has an aversion to being at some events such as his own grave.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    " all twelve of them?"

Agreed - the very fact that when one of the Timelords said "No ! All 13 !" and we then saw Capaldi must mean he is the 13th Doctor. Regardless of which way you look at it, I think that perhaps a little error crept in there, especially if Moffatt is now insisting that Smith is the 13th.
    At the end of the day people will interprete the numbering, names, incarnations to believe themselves and untill it is positively shown on screen that matt is now the 13th and last Doctor then discussions will continue.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Agreed - the very fact that when one of the Timelords said "No ! All 13 !" and we then saw Capaldi must mean he is the 13th Doctor. Regardless of which way you look at it, I think that perhaps a little error crept in there, especially if Moffatt is now insisting that Smith is the 13th.
    At the end of the day people will interprete the numbering, names, incarnations to believe themselves and untill it is positively shown on screen that matt is now the 13th and last Doctor then discussions will continue.

Where do you get that from? Moffat has said quite explicitly that Matt is still the 11th. There is no renumbering required!

The Time Lords said all 13 because there were 13 incarnations of that Time Lord. They did not say all 13 Doctors.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orri wrote: »
    The difference might be in the quantity of energy released. Though being able to heal others isn't a skill the Doctor exhibited before he was healed by River. Perhaps it's a bit like a gall bladder, some organ collects regenergy which means that timelords naturally have a small amount in their bodies at all times. In a crisis that organ releases the built up energy causing, under normal circumstances, a complete rebuild of the body. Choices then are either there's a single organ which can only be used 12 times or there are 12 and only one can be filled at a time. Either explanation would mean that it could take time after one regeneration to restock for the next.
    An alternate explanation would be that instead of there being a store of energy it's a store of some enzyme that neutralises what might be a nanite swarm that gets released when a regeneration is complete. That would allow a massive dose of an artificially created form of that to prevent regeneration. It would also mean that if you ran out of that then you'd regenerate to death or possibly into the state the Master was in in Deadly Assassin.
    To be honest a bit of ambiguity allows good stories to be written and as long as any inconsistencies aren't too apparent, important or are actually part of the plot then it's probably best we don't know everything. Despite the impression he gives the Doctor certainly doesn't know everything and that allows him to get round the rule about being unable to rewrite history. It's also why he has an aversion to being at some events such as his own grave.

Amen. The last time I received my wish to know everything, George Lucas gave me metichlorians. I don't want Doctor Who to make the same mistake.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe he simply used the energy she used to save him in 'Let's Kill Hitler'?
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why she was so upset by him healing her. Calling it a "stupid waste" of his regeneration energy. Earlier in the same episode she refered to her husband as a "ageless god" so is he imortal or isn't he ?. Gods don't die. Timelords can be killed it just takes a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I hate Moffet's writing, it's utter makes no sense, confusing up it's own A*se drivel!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    D.j. wrote: »
    I hate Moffet's writing, it's utter makes no sense, confusing up it's own A*se drivel!

Thank you for these words.

PS. I love Moffat's writing, it makes complete sense.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for these words.

PS. I love Moffat's writing, it makes complete sense.

Ditto :p
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

I'm not sure, but do you understand 'irony'?

I'm guessing not... ^_^
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally I think what's "up it's own arse" are the heads of people who assume that...

"I don't understand/like Moffat's writing" = "It makes no sense"

That's false logic and skirts around the fact that there are plenty of us who do understand Moffat's writing (eventually ;)) and actually consider it to be pretty damn good.

In my opinion this is the best the show's been since the Davison era. :)
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do enjoy a lot of Moffat's stuff but it does tend to veer into being too wrapped up in its own mythology and "stuck up its own arse" for want of a better term.