Options

Should I Worry.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today, Scan and Tattoo marks ready for Radio Therapy stating Nov 12. only just found out , No Beer ,No Tea , MUST drink 2 litres of water EVERY day. Enema self administered before every treatment (5days a week for 7.1/2 weeks. Not looking forward to it at all. Wish me luck.
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    Today, Scan and Tattoo marks ready for Radio Therapy stating Nov 12. only just found out , No Beer ,No Tea , MUST drink 2 litres of water EVERY day. Enema self administered before every treatment (5days a week for 7.1/2 weeks. Not looking forward to it at all. Wish me luck.

Good luck Hut! I hope everything goes well for you!
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why? Limit alcohol intake if possible, I don't get the tea thing (a fluid is a fluid even if it is caffeinated- so are they saying coffee and coke is ok?) and you'll need a comfortably full bladder for treatment but 2 litres of water a day sounds OTT. I'm surprised they have given you enemas to last the whole treatment as after a couple of weeks the effects of the treatment take over and you'll find you probably won't need them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Limit alcohol intake if possible, I don't get the tea thing (a fluid is a fluid even if it is caffeinated- so are they saying coffee and coke is ok?) and you'll need a comfortably full bladder for treatment but 2 litres of water a day sounds OTT. I'm surprised they have given you enemas to last the whole treatment as after a couple of weeks the effects of the treatment take over and you'll find you probably won't need them.

Now Tattoo'ed ,apparently I was wrongly advised previously about Fluid intake. New advise, No fizzy drinks, Yes 2Litres of water, can be Squash, Tea is now OK but limit 5 cups a day, Beer 1 pint a day ,1 Day 4/5 Pints is OK but must compensate by EXTRA water so as not to get dehydrated. In all not too bad an experience yesterday, I had to empty Bladder after enema then drink 3 cups of water straight down before Scan. Whole treatment is 37 sessions of Radio-Therapy, not as I was told 35, and there were several Cards of Appreciation and thanks to staff from previous Members of "37 CLUB".
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work part time as a radiotherapist.

What's the 5 year survival rate after treatment?
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the 5 year survival rate after treatment?

Depends really on which grade it is (more and more are switching to TNM system from Gleason). T1 and 2, the 5 year survival is about 80% and it's about 60% for T3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow is the day, first of 37.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, Hut - hope it all goes well for you. x
  • Options
    tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    Good luck hut - wishing you all the best. Be strong :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One down 36 to go, met some nice people having virtually same treatment. Thanks for your kind thoughts.
  • Options
    benayounbenayoun Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Good luck Hut 27. When I had radio therapy (1999, for breast cancer, 30 doses, if I recall) I also met some really nice people having radio therapy too. It was one of the few places I went to where I was in the majority, having some kind of cancer, than "ohh, she's the one with cancer", type of thing:)

B
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    One down 36 to go, met some nice people having virtually same treatment. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

The good thing is, you tend to meet the same people every day and they're all going through similar stuff! I did 25 sessions during August and we got to know a few people quite well and it was lovely to see how positive the majority of people were! We had quite a laugh at times.... :D

Good luck for the rest of the sessions! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update, 16th session today, not the new boy any longer, some finished and some just started. When someone completes their 37 they nearly always bring in a box of Chocolates or Chocolate Biscuits and leave them in waiting room.
    A nice gesture and the nurses do alright too getting all the surplus goodies.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read though the posts
    Like to say all the best
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update, 16th session today, not the new boy any longer, some finished and some just started. When someone completes their 37 they nearly always bring in a box of Chocolates or Chocolate Biscuits and leave them in waiting room.
    A nice gesture and the nurses do alright too getting all the surplus goodies.

How are you feeling, Hut, just under half-way through?

(Still wishing you all the best. x)
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How are we supposed to know?

DS is awash with Doctors, especially during BB season ;-)

Wishing you all the very best Hut. Stay strong x