Remote control issues with Humax Freesat

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    The IR sensor is behind a small window in the front flap - if you leave the flap open the IR seems to work at much wider angles - the hole in the front flap seems to block out IR signals unless you're pretty much in line with the box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    gi6atz wrote: »
    Try a new set of batteries instead of the supplied ones It fixed the problem on mine.

I tried to replace the batteries in my remote today, I bought Energiser AAA but they didn't work, it was a pack of 4 so tried the other 2 still no joy. tried batteries from other remotes and they didn't work either. Put the originals back in and they still work. The rating and everything say the same 1.5v they look the same size. The new ones work fine in other remotes. Anyone else had issues??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I have a different problem with the Foxsat HDR Remote in that the Power and Menu Buttons no longer work. All other functions work ok! I have emailed Humax three times reference this problem, without response, looks like I will have to phone them and be held in a queue for ever and a day.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dustydot wrote: »
    I have a different problem with the Foxsat HDR Remote in that the Power and Menu Buttons no longer work. All other functions work ok! I have emailed Humax three times reference this problem, without response, looks like I will have to phone them and be held in a queue for ever and a day.

Try this (no guarantee's but it's worth a shot). Remove the batteries, short the remote battery terminal with a paper clip (to discharge the internal capacitors). Batteries back with fingers crossed :D.
    Forum Member
    Try this (no guarantee's but it's worth a shot). Remove the batteries, short the remote battery terminal with a paper clip (to discharge the internal capacitors). Batteries back with fingers crossed :D.

Thanks, tried it without success. This fault actually first appeared about a fortnight ago and then came good without doing anything. But now it is back, so it must be a faulty remote.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member

What email address did you use?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stephenmy wrote: »
    I tried to replace the batteries in my remote today, I bought Energiser AAA but they didn't work, it was a pack of 4 so tried the other 2 still no joy. tried batteries from other remotes and they didn't work either. Put the originals back in and they still work. The rating and everything say the same 1.5v they look the same size. The new ones work fine in other remotes. Anyone else had issues??
    I've just put a couple of rechargeable 1.2V AAAs and the remote works. Are you sure you've chosen the right device to control (the PVR device button at the top)?
    Forum Member
    scartart wrote: »
    What email address did you use?

Both Humax Web site and Freesat Humax UK
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A possibility.

The battery compartment of devices is often designed so that, if a battery is inserted the wrong way around, the negative termiminal of the battery will not make contact with the positive terminal of the device. They rely on the positive terminal of the battery projecting. The positive terminal of some batteries doesn't project as far as others and, in poorly designed or constructed devices, doesn't make contact (or only a tenuous contact). I've had this problem in the past and, if I remember correctly, Energisers are more prone to this than some others.

I've had a look at the battery compartment of the HDR remote and it looks as if it is designed this way. A bit of kitchen foil to bridge the gap would check out whether this is the problem or not. If it is, gently coaxing the positive terminal of the battery compartment out a bit might give a permanent solution, or you could just use kitchen foil.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    awo1949 wrote: »
    A possibility.

The battery compartment of devices is often designed so that, if a battery is inserted the wrong way around, the negative termiminal of the battery will not make contact with the positive terminal of the device. They rely on the positive terminal of the battery projecting. The positive terminal of some batteries doesn't project as far as others and, in poorly designed or constructed devices, doesn't make contact (or only a tenuous contact). I've had this problem in the past and, if I remember correctly, Energisers are more prone to this than some others.

I've had a look at the battery compartment of the HDR remote and it looks as if it is designed this way. A bit of kitchen foil to bridge the gap would check out whether this is the problem or not. If it is, gently coaxing the positive terminal of the battery compartment out a bit might give a permanent solution, or you could just use kitchen foil.

If pushing any button causes the selected item white button to flash red the batteries must be the right way round and making contact
    Forum Member
    Further to my post on 1.3.2009 reference power and menu buttons not working anybody who experiences a similar fault carry out the following.
    Remove batteries
    Point remote at PVR and press Power Button for 15 seconds.
    Replace batteries.
    Should now work ok.

You do need to discharge the internal capacitors and this is the easiest way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Further to my post on 1.3.2009 reference power and menu buttons not working anybody who experiences a similar fault carry out the following.
    Remove batteries
    Point remote at PVR and press Power Button for 15 seconds.
    Replace batteries.
    Should now work ok.

You do need to discharge the internal capacitors and this is the easiest way.

I don't think it matters what you point it at, even pointing at the cat works :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,222
    Forum Member
    I don't think it matters what you point it at, even pointing at the cat works :D

Ah but does the cat turn over Graham ? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snoods wrote: »
    Ah but does the cat turn over Graham ? :p

Well it yawned a bit :D
    Forum Member
    Well it yawned a bit :D
    LOL :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... pointing at the cat works :D

Nah! It's still here.
  • germanycallinggermanycalling Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    awo1949 wrote: »
    Nah! It's still here.

The cat must have been recording. Wait til its finished then you can delete! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the subject of cats, did you know that a kangaroo is a big cat? It's latin genus is macropus. But, a wallaby is not a big cat. Its subgenus is notamacropus.

This is just the sort of information you can learn from nature programmes on freesat, especially if you have a PVR. If your remote is working, you can step back 15s to make sure you heard it properly. [Phew! Do you think I'll get away with that?]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D:D:D:D
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

mine just went to paws :D
    Forum Member
    mine just went to paws :D

Oh dear, can they get any worse ? :p

I have a feline they can. :D
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snoods wrote: »
    Oh dear, can they get any worse ? :p

I have a feline they can. :D

tabby honest I don't think so :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is becoming purrfect nonsense :D .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So So Sorry for mentioning the cat :cry:
    The cats called foxcat incidentally LOL
  • TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Bob_ (what's the rest of his name?) will have any comment.