Mad World

2»

Comments

• Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's brilliant Bonny. Thanks for posting.

TBH Adam was on to a dead certainty with me with that song choice. I absolutely love both the original and the Gary Jules version so he'd have had a job on his hands for me not to like it!
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that lad is bloody brilliant..........by far the best contestant on idol/x factorhistory
  • Early DoorsEarly Doors Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EDIT - wrong thread
  • daddy66daddy66 Posts: 12,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Adam's mix between the Tears for Fear & Gary Jules interpretations...apparently, so did Gary Jules .
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a) I hate that song
    b) I hated his version

and I'm a fan!

He could have chosen Joan Jett or The Clash! Sheesh.
  • Forever AwkwardForever Awkward Posts: 3,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christa wrote: »
    a) I hate that song
    b) I hated his version

and I'm a fan!

He could have chosen Joan Jett or The Clash! Sheesh.

Which Clash song?

If he'd chosen 'I Love Rock & Roll' (I take it that's the Joan Jett song you mean), he may as well have waved goodbye at the end of the performance.
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^

Agreed. That would've been a hideous song choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree about "I Love Rock And Role" .. the song requires no vocal ability or emotion .. whilst I don't mind the song if I fancy a bit of foot stamping and air punching .. it's more of a chant than a song .. like We Will Rock You.

Adam's capable of far more than that .. and it would have been too similar to the previous week's performance of PTFM.

I accept that Mad World isn't a song that everyone likes .. but going by the general feedback in the media and via Itunes reviews it appears to have been an excellent choice for Adam.
  • Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    If he'd done I Love Rock n Roll I would have cried or screamed or thrown something at the telly.

It's a nothing song that should be the resort of mediocre singers. Plus, how corny would it have sounded with all the "her" and "she" changed to "you"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he'd done I Love Rock n Roll I would have cried or screamed or thrown something at the telly.

It's a nothing song that should be the resort of mediocre singers. Plus, how corny would it have sounded with all the "her" and "she" changed to "you"?

lol ... yes I could just imagine all the uproar in the press the next day about Adam singing about picking up 17 year olds in bars
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nonsense. It's a fun camp song, slightly ironic, which he could have recreated to show off his voice.

The Clash song that year was Should I Stay or Should I go which is fantastic & another good song that year was Under Pressure. For preference I'd chose one of those two - but I'd still take Joan Jett any day over dreadful Mad World. Talk about a 'nothing' song. Tears For Fears make me want to turn my eyelids inside out.
  • Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    Nonsense. It's a fun camp song, slightly ironic, which he could have recreated to show off his voice.

Yes, camp, that is exactly what he needs to be doing. I can't imagine why he didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you take pop music too seriously you'll go blind. ;)

I know what he should have done! Take one of the worst songs ever written by one of the world's worst bands & sing it in a really dire, falsetto, po-faced, toe-curling yowl. Genius!
  • Early DoorsEarly Doors Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you take pop music too seriously you'll go blind. ;)

I know what he should have done! Take one of the worst songs ever written by one of the world's worst bands & sing it in a really dire, falsetto, po-faced, toe-curling yowl. Genius!

It seemed to work though, didn't it? So I would daresay many would disagree with you.

Besides, just because you don't like a particular band or artist or song doesn't make it a bad choice. It just means you don't like it.

Quite frankly, fan though I am, if he had gone for ILR+R or anything of the sort and ended up in the bottom three (or worse) I would have felt he deserved it.
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Clash song that year was Should I Stay or Should I go which is fantastic & another good song that year was Under Pressure. For preference I'd chose one of those two - but I'd still take Joan Jett any day over dreadful Mad World. Talk about a 'nothing' song. Tears For Fears make me want to turn my eyelids inside out.[/QUOTE]

Ouch :eek:

I loved Tears For Fears, and Mad World was my fave :D
    I had a bit of a crush on Curt Smith too ;)

Also love Should I Stay.. but not sure about that for Adam.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seemed to work though, didn't it? So I would daresay many would disagree with you.

Besides, just because you don't like a particular band or artist or song doesn't make it a bad choice. It just means you don't like it.

Quite frankly, fan though I am, if he had gone for ILR+R or anything of the sort and ended up in the bottom three (or worse) I would have felt he deserved it.

It didn't work for me at all, & actually put me off him. Though I accept opinions differ. David Cook took Hello last year, which I equally dislike, & made it work (via someone else's cover).

Personally I thought Adam may be in the bottom 3 if he's ever going to be, & would have deserved it.

I can see now why he hasn't made it yet in the music industry - some of his interpetations really work & some really don't. (cf the Middle Eastern country & western horror).