The Paperboy

13»

Comments

• Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm watching it tomorrow night :D I've heard lots of different things about the film itself so I hope I enjoy it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just seen it. I really enjoyed it. I thought all the actors were really good and Zac Efron really impressed me.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Just seen it. I really enjoyed it. I thought all the actors were really good and Zac Efron really impressed me.

Did he look good in his pants? Lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Did he look good in his pants? Lol.

Lol. Yes he did. I was in two minds about the film. I have read the book and heard lots of (negative) things about it but it is good. It's quite explicit at times but that adds to the whole experience of what the film is. There were certain scenes where Matthew was amazing - especially
    the shower scene. You really felt what he was feeling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone else been to see it?
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Has anyone else been to see it?

Yep I have.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still feel Nicole Kidman was robbed of an oscar nomination for this film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    I thought this film was one of those that pretty much you'll either love it or hate it, and it shows as most reviews ive seens have been divided like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6PvRH5Epj8#
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep I have.

What did you think to it? :)
    I still feel Nicole Kidman was robbed of an oscar nomination for this film.

Hmm...I thought she was good, but wasn't as brilliant as I thought she was going to be....although maybe I need to watch it again
    I thought this film was one of those that pretty much you'll either love it or hate it, and it shows as most reviews ive seens have been divided like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6PvRH5Epj8#

Yeh it seems as though it's very hit and miss.

I've read the book, but can't remember everything. In the book, Charlotte is just never seen again, isn't she? Ward doesn't die in the book, does he? Or does he but he kills himself?
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was interested in seeing The Paperboy but it looks like the distributors have lost confidence in it. It's now getting just one screening a day at the Gate (arthouse cinema) and at the Vue it opened in the second smallest screen (57 seats) and then moved to the smallest (48 seats). I expect it'll be gone next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Was interested in seeing The Paperboy but it looks like the distributors have lost confidence in it. It's now getting just one screening a day at the Gate (arthouse cinema) and at the Vue it opened in the second smallest screen (57 seats) and then moved to the smallest (48 seats). I expect it'll be gone next week.

It's not the distributors it's the cinemas. If it's following the same pattern as the USA then it's a box office failure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the distributors it's the cinemas. If it's following the same pattern as the USA then it's a box office failure.

Could be, but launching a film in a 57 seat screen is never going to break box office records. I avoid those little auditoria because the sound is cranked up high but the room is tiny so it's not a comfortable experience. Given the almost entirely positive reviews in the Telegraph, Guardian, 5 Live etc I reckon it's worth seeing but not in an expensive but unpleasant Vue microplex.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    John Cusack was outstanding in this.
    Unforgettably creepy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be, but launching a film in a 57 seat screen is never going to break box office records. I avoid those little auditoria because the sound is cranked up high but the room is tiny so it's not a comfortable experience. Given the almost entirely positive reviews in the Telegraph, Guardian, 5 Live etc I reckon it's worth seeing but not in an expensive but unpleasant Vue microplex.

I saw it in a Cineworld. It's reduced from 4 showings to just 2 in the space of a week. The way it works is that each cinema analyses the takings from the previous week and decides wether to reduce the screenings, keep it the same or stop it completely.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found Macy Gray incredible in this film when i saw it. She is quite an actress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Macy Gray incredible in this film when i saw it. She is quite an actress.

She should stick to acting. She's a bloody awful singer!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it in a Cineworld. It's reduced from 4 showings to just 2 in the space of a week. The way it works is that each cinema analyses the takings from the previous week and decides wether to reduce the screenings, keep it the same or stop it completely.

The trailer looked good, the reviews were good, the cast looks good... what went wrong? Anyway I've found a couple of screenings in cinemas I like so I'll see it next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trailer looked good, the reviews were good, the cast looks good... what went wrong? Anyway I've found a couple of screenings in cinemas I like so I'll see it next week.

Zac Efron was the best thing in it. His beautiful face and gorgeous muscular body was just breathtaking. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've pre-ordered this - can't wait to see it again :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's released on 29th July :D
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was expecting more drama than what was presented, based on the cast avaliable and the time period it was set in. I also thought the ending could have been better devised, because i think Cusuack's character made some bad decisions to achieve a contrived ending.