Options

Mentions of Savile / Harris / Hall etc in old comedies

Comments

• Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    ITV have now apologised, they withdrew it from the +1 channel as soon as they realised their error:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28124959

The epsiode will never be shown again then,
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good god are we going to wipe everything from history that may have involved someone who's been convicted/accused of something - just how far back are we going to go
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's silly, cutting out cursory references and mentions. Treat the audience like grown ups when showing grown up programmes, FGS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some guy on This Morning, had to apologise for sounding Rollf in relation to Adolf Hitler
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The epsiode that was shown last night, might as well be erased then from history, as while Les/Lesley was singing two little boys, it also shown the conclusion to tgat eps entire storyline
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A year or two ago Radio 4 Extra had a three hour compendium of comedy clips throughout the years. Somewhere in the middle there was a single reference to Jimmy Savile but of course people complained. Did they really expect someone to listen to the whole of a three hour broadcast of something that had prevously been broadcast just on the off chance of a reference to Savile or something similar.
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    At this rate let's just closedown Gold Itv 3 and 4 and BBC 4 which show the majority of archive programming
    As so many have said regrettably this stuff HAS happened
    Nobody should airbrush these people out if anything they will receive even greater notoriety if that happens
    How long does it take to utter someone's name ??
    A couple of seconds
    We are NOT talking of showing FULL SERIES or editions of shows featuring these people
    Quite rightly those shouldn't be transmitted but let's get some sense of perspective here for Gods sake
    By the way re The Dambusters
    I believe the film was shown on two channels over the Christmas season last year
    One of the stations ran what I term the "FUNSTER" soundtrack so called after the disasterous editing of the Batman film years ago when they took the swearing out !
    The other ran the original complete with the dogs original name
    Are we going back to the dark ages again re censorship
    Let's hope not
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate discussions that prove Godwin's Law, but if there was ever a valid comparison to the mistake of cutting bad things out of history - Hitler is a pretty good one.

We wouldn't dream of (oh, wait, these days we probably would) pretending Hitler didn't exist and erasing it from history would we? He existed. Bad, no terrible, things happened... and the best way to prevent a repeat is to remember what happened so it CAN'T happen again.

If we aim to forget about Savile and Harris as quickly as possible, it will just happen all over again.
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Perhaps a warning beforehand that the programme contains references to Saville/Hall/Harris and that they were recorded years before information about them came to light is all that is required. Then people can make an informed choice whether to watch or not, instead of being told what they should and shouldn't watch.

Great idea, what would be the harm in that plus we, the adults, have the choice instead of censors deciding for us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it's nice to keep these things as they are as they clearly show attitudes of the time and how they have changed. I also hate censorship of any kind. I'm an adult and can make my own choices as to if I wish to view something or not.

It's like the black dog's name in the Dambusters. That was his name and it was 1943. Why pretend he wasn't called that and try and change history? Also the attitude of the time in Mr Selfridge were women were seen as lesser than men.

So keep things as they were.

COULDNT AGREE MORE !
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I hate discussions that prove Godwin's Law, but if there was ever a valid comparison to the mistake of cutting bad things out of history - Hitler is a pretty good one.

We wouldn't dream of (oh, wait, these days we probably would) pretending Hitler didn't exist and erasing it from history would we? He existed. Bad, no terrible, things happened... and the best way to prevent a repeat is to remember what happened so it CAN'T happen again.

If we aim to forget about Savile and Harris as quickly as possible, it will just happen all over again.
    Are you seriously saying that Saville's, Harris's et al crimes, as awful and horryfing as they (alledgedly, in Saville's case) are, are comparable to what Hitler did?! You know why you hate Godwin's Law? It's because people compare all sort of wild and ridiculous things to Hitler etc and the only person who doesn't think it's ridiculous is the person who's done it, so yes, you have 'proved' Godwin's Law.

Were it to happen (and it probably will), cutting mentions of these light entertainers from light entertainment fluff pieces of broadcasting is not remotely in the same galaxy as pretending Hitler didn't exist, [ETA]and to believe that not cutting them will prevent it happening again is incredibly naive. It will happen again. The schedules could be 24 x 7 Jim'll Fix It and Cartoon Time and it'll still happen again. Over and over and over ad infinitum.

ETA - what Harris did isn't even comparable to what Saville allegedly did, let alone Hitler.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    There is the added issue of the fact that Rolf was also a singer, and singers get royalties from their songs. However, Benidorm's repeat wouldn't have yielded a royalty payment, as not only was it a karaoke performance, and thus not Rolf singing it, Rolf's version of Two Little Boys was a cover anyway. The song is over 100 years old, and thus it's copyright will be expired by now!
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps a warning beforehand that the programme contains references to Saville/Hall/Harris and that they were recorded years before information about them came to light is all that is required. Then people can make an informed choice whether to watch or not, instead of being told what they should and shouldn't watch.
    Such warnings are not necessary. What harm can a reference to a convicted person do to anyone? They can't abuse any more people simply by being mentioned. Bad things happen. At least in this case the truth has been unearthed.

I would feel patronised by being subjected to such pointless and self serving warnings. You might as well have a blanket warning saying "something in this programme may be offensive to some people". You can find offence in anything if you look hard enough.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's get rid of any programming representing. Myra Hindley, Ronnie Biggs, the Kray Twins.. Etc. etc.

No. These people existed, and aslong as they do not profit out of it, it's fine. Maybe avoid showing programmes where they appear, yes, but don't get rid of every reference.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Goodnight Sweethart had a funny sequence with Rolf Harris. No doubt that will he cut.

I rewatched the whole series on Gold early last year in the period in between him being named on Twitter but the arrest not being confirmed. As I had seen him named on Twitter I was wondering what they would do if it was confirmed - in the end they showed it a few weeks before The Sun published and confirmed the story.
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Such warnings are not necessary. What harm can a reference to a convicted person do to anyone? They can't abuse any more people simply by being mentioned. Bad things happen. At least in this case the truth has been unearthed.

I would feel patronised by being subjected to such pointless and self serving warnings. You might as well have a blanket warning saying "something in this programme may be offensive to some people". You can find offence in anything if you look hard enough.

'somebody' would be better and it gives everybody the choice whether to watch the programme or not.
    Why should the majority of people be victims to censorship because of a small minority of people ?
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Either that or people can get a grip.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Completely agree with the second post. I remember a show which was preceded by an announcement saying that it contained scenes of the twin towers as it was filmed before 9/11. Anyone with an ounce of common sense could figure that out. Stop treating the viewers like idiots. Edit: It was NYPD Blue.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Either that or people can get a grip.

This would be my preferred choice.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That sums it up perfectly. It would be wrong to create a Jimmy Savile Top Of The Pops compilation, but to edit him out of one particular show is sheer lunacy. It puts it into the context of its time. Equally, it would have been unthinkable to do anything about the Gary Glitter song in Dancing Queen. Glitter's few hits were highly popular at the time and to edit them out of any documentaries would be a silly attempt to re-write history.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,495
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Completely agree with the second post. I remember a show which was preceded by an announcement saying that it contained scenes of the twin towers as it was filmed before 9/11. Anyone with an ounce of common sense could figure that out. Stop treating the viewers like idiots. Edit: It was NYPD Blue.

OMG, really? They must be in nearly every film and tv series, set in New York for 30 years, including Friends, Kojak, King Kong and Taxi. Insane!
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    ITV have now apologised, they withdrew it from the +1 channel as soon as they realised their error:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28124959

I thought the repeat was well timed, especially when Jacqueline asked if Rolf Harris had an affair with his wife. He possibly did.

I recorded it last night and only watched the first half, have to catch up with the rest later as it was one of the funniest series.
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Charlie Chaplin had sex with under-age girls but no-one suggests banning his films or air-brushing him out of history.

Or indeed Errol Flynn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Several years ago uk gold as they were at the time purchased and transmitted several episodes of the BBC Show The Good Old Days a classic show which like The Wheeltappers And Shunters Social Club (shown at the same area of time on Granada Plus ) provided valuable footage of great tv and variety stars many of whom were coming to the ends of their performing and sometimes physical lives as well
    If this idea of erasing these and other public figures goes through a show like The Good Old Days won't be seen on our screen again !
    The reason ?? a REGULAR member of the audience often seen in vision sat in the balcony though not performing or even audible being STUART HALL !!
    reason to bin a show ??
    I DONT THINK SO ....do you ????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    That sums it up perfectly. It would be wrong to create a Jimmy Savile Top Of The Pops compilation, but to edit him out of one particular show is sheer lunacy. It puts it into the context of its time. Equally, it would have been unthinkable to do anything about the Gary Glitter song in Dancing Queen. Glitter's few hits were highly popular at the time and to edit them out of any documentaries would be a silly attempt to re-write history.

Whilst we are at it best bin Steptoe and Son I mean Wilfred Brambell was up in court importuning for immoral purposes Sir John Gielgud the same
    Jonathan Kings songs are slowly but surely coming back on to Top of the pops shows and documentaries
    Some might say I'm being over the top but if the right on brigade have their way
    Just WHERE do we draw the line ???