Do you always use your headlights when driving at night in 30mph zones?

LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,721
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the lighting requirements indicate you do not need to use your (dipped) headlights in a 30mph zone (or less) where there are street lamps not more than 200 yards apart. This takes in most residential areas and town and city centres.

All you need to do is apply your side lights/tail lights and rear number plate light. You should of course use your headlights when the situation dictates.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070302

I think it would be a good idea for more people to start doing this, as many dipped headlights are too strong for these areas and sometimes distract other drivers, and make it more difficult to spot pedestrians for example.

Comments

• Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I got pulled for this a day after passing my driving test.
    Some bolshie copper gave me an earful for about 10 minutes and then his mate wandered over and told him that I wasn't actually doing anything wrong.

Just as well I was in a 30 zone though because, if I'm honest, I'd simply forgotten to turn the switch to the correct position.

As a rule, if the street lights are on I just stick my headlights on simply cos it requires less brain-power.

Offhand, I can't actually think of a situation where I'd deliberately choose to use sidelights at all.
    Perhaps on a really dull winter day or at sunset in summer, maybe?
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I got pulled for this a day after passing my driving test.
    Some bolshie copper gave me an earful for about 10 minutes and then his mate wandered over and told him that I wasn't actually doing anything wrong.

Just as well I was in a 30 zone though because, if I'm honest, I'd simply forgotten to turn the switch to the correct position.

As a rule, if the street lights are on I just stick my headlights on simply cos it requires less brain-power.

Offhand, I can't actually think of a situation where I'd deliberately choose to use sidelights at all.
    Perhaps on a really dull winter day or at sunset in summer, maybe?

I just use headlights - I've got lights that come on automatically when it's dark enough anyway. A few cars have got permanently "on" sidelights (called running lights, apparently) - I was driving a new Vauxhall Corsa the other week, drove me nuts trying to get the damn lights off while the sun was shining!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always use headlights. Would never consider driving on sidelights only.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I nearly had an accident because a numpty didn't turn on his lights in town, I was at a junction and didn't see him because he 'forgot' to put them on.
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    I always use my headlights in a 30 mph zone in the dark, always.

Seems wreckless to me not to.
    Forum Member
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    I nearly had an accident because a numpty didn't turn on his lights in town, I was at a junction and didn't see him because he 'forgot' to put them on.

If you didn't see him, how'd you know his lights weren't on?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you didn't see him, how'd you know his lights weren't on?

Because I pulled out and he nearly hit me. You can't but notice a car when it's right next to you, even in the dark. But from a distance you can't see them without their lights on.
  • topptopp Posts: 2,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lights on my car are automatic. And are either off or on full. Cant remember the last time I used sidelights.

What I cant stand is nobs driving around with front fogs on. Especially in a battered up Corsa, that usually has next doors drain pipe attached to the rear for some reason.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Liparus wrote: »
    As the lighting requirements indicate you do not need to use your (dipped) headlights in a 30mph zone (or less) where there are street lamps not more than 200 yards apart. This takes in most residential areas and town and city centres.

All you need to do is apply your side lights/tail lights and rear number plate light. You should of course use your headlights when the situation dictates.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070302

I think it would be a good idea for more people to start doing this, as many dipped headlights are too strong for these areas and sometimes distract other drivers, and make it more difficult to spot pedestrians for example.

I suggest that you read that Highway Code page again, more carefully this time.

You should also

use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen

It is not a legal requirement but it is advised - you should use them in built-up areas.

Badly adjusted headlights is a different issue altogether!
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »

You should also

use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen

It is not a legal requirement but it is advised - you should use them.

So, pretty much what the OP said then?

Thanks for the contribution.
    Forum Member
    So, pretty much what the OP said then?

Thanks for the contribution.

No. And you must try harder not to be sarcastic. "Pretty much" is a pretty vague comment.
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You should also

It is not a legal requirement but it is advised - you should use them in built-up areas.

Badly adjusted headlights is a different issue altogether!

So 115 goes against what 113 is saying?
    Forum Member
    Liparus wrote: »
    So 115 goes against what 113 is saying?
    Not really, it expands upon it. "Headlights" is not the same as "dipped headlights". "Must" is not the same as "should".

Previous sarcastic poster please note.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a switch for sidelights. I was looking for it last weekend. I have to use a menu system. Either have them on all the time or off all the time. They're off at the moment but I think I'll switch them on for the rest of the winter.
    Forum Member
    No. And you must try harder not to be sarcastic.

Oh, I think my level of sarcasm is usually appropriate to the post in question.
    Forum Member
    Oh, I think my level of sarcasm is usually appropriate to the post in question.

As you were and are wrong, your sarcasm misses its target. By a mile.
  • missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my advanced test I was told never to drive with side lights on and that they are for parking only.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cars sidelights are unable to be used on their own when the engine is running, it automatically switches the 'dim dips' on, if I want 'proper' dipped lights I have to turn the switch to the headlight position.
    The sidelights will only work on their own when the engine is switched off.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    I used to drive a Volvo that automatically had sidelights on at all times. Very handy if I ever forgot to put the normal headlights on.
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to drive a Volvo that automatically had sidelights on at all times. Very handy if I ever forgot to put the normal headlights on.

I think all Volvo's were like that.

Has the legislation come in yet that says all new cars produced for use in the EU have to have day running lights on at all times?
  • mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth would you be of the mind to deliberately set your lights to side-lights only in built up areas? It goes dark, put the dipped lights on and leave them on (if you don't have a car like mine that automatically switches them on)
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    I've only ever driven without lights at night a few times - Streetlights or not, I wouldn't do it on public roads.
    Forum Member
    As you were and are wrong, your sarcasm misses its target. By a mile.

How was I wrong? :confused:

The OP said that you don't NEED to use headlights in 30 zones and you chimed in to remind us all that the highway code also says that it's optional although it's recommended.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,946
    Forum Member
    Digressing slightly, I used to have my front fog lights on at night, until a police car in front flashed a message at me.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why on earth would you be of the mind to deliberately set your lights to side-lights only in built up areas? It goes dark, put the dipped lights on and leave them on (if you don't have a car like mine that automatically switches them on)

To reduce the glare and improve vision in built up areas. Headlights are unnecessary. However since everyone else is driving with headlights on it doesn't make sense anymore.