dancin on ice

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Didn't grab me .. don't know if I will watch every week. Like a very poor copy of SCD .. the results bit was a joke. Philip Scholfield said the lines were closed before the thing on the screen did .. then immediately started to read them out ... no verifying them then? The audience was screaming and shouting and there was no suspense .. may be it'll improve.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Krista Cousins is married to ex British champ Steven Cousins.

Is he related to Robin Cousins?? As it could be said he might be biased if so!!!

Nat
    xxx
  • Daffodil67Daffodil67 Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minihoy wrote:
    Is he related to Robin Cousins?? As it could be said he might be biased if so!!!

Nat
    xxx

No relation at all :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's 10 years since they danced together but I think 22 years since they danced to Bolero in 1984 Winter Olympics.

What I wouldn't give to get hold of that!!! I watched my auntie's video all the time when I was little.

Even though I was minus 1 when it was performed! :rolleyes:
  • digimon900digimon900 Posts: 4,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cat123 wrote:
    What I wouldn't give to get hold of that!!! I watched my auntie's video all the time when I was little.

Even though I was minus 1 when it was performed! :rolleyes:
    I wish I could see it too I am intrigued. I never saw a TV set till I was 17 in 1989! People used to constantly refer to Torville and Dean when I was learning to skate and I had no idea what they meant till much later!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digimon900 wrote:
    I never saw a TV set till I was 17 in 1989!

Are u being serious???

Reckon they'll bring out a Torvill and Dean DVD before too long! It is too good an opportunity to miss - what with all this nostalgia floating around! And hey ITV are not the BBC - they don't miss out on a money-making scheme by releasing DVD's!!! :p

Nat
    xxx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with ITV if it does come out!! They don't have the rights to the footage!! The BBC are more likely to than them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi I dont think I can post links to sites on this forum, but there is a site out there where you can download a load of skating routines - PM me if you're interested.

As for me, Im not a technical expert but a long time fan. Started a forum (my homepage) as a hobby in 1999. It's now got over 12000 members and takes up a lot of time! LOL

If you go to Ebay and type in Torvill and Dean, you should get something if you want it. Videos called 'Path To Perfection' and 'The Story So Far' have a lot of their competitive routines. (Path to Perfection is up to 1984 only).

Random skating cheesiness 'The Cutting Edge' is a great skating film. (If totally wrong in parts)

As for Bonnie, sure she didnt spend a lot of time skating, but major props for her doing a headbanger! That move is illegal in competition, very occcasionally you'll see a pair do it in a show, but not often!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cat123 wrote:
    Nothing to do with ITV if it does come out!! They don't have the rights to the footage!! The BBC are more likely to than them!

Hmmm the 'Path To Perfection' video I mentioned in my previous post was produced by Thames TV (ah the good old days) so maybe they do have some old stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minihoy wrote:
    Are u being serious???

I went to Africa as a kid. No one had a Tv and when we came back to Uk we didnt have one for ages either!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Julian & Erin dance to Bolero? Or was it someone else? I'm getting confused! lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Quote:
    >>Yeah, there was the Original Set Pattern dance, their most memorable (and possibly my all time favourite skate from them) was the Paso Doble dance in 1984.

Sadly its now just an Original Dance to a set rhythym, though this years is fun, its tango themed. European Championships on Eurosport live this week! Original Dance is Thursday afternoon, Free Dance Friday evening.<<

Actually, there is a still a compulsory dance, with a set pattern/rhythm, in each national or ISU ice dance competition. Until a few years ago, there were two.

Kate
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,945
    Forum Member
    ks2006 wrote:
    Quote:
    >>Yeah, there was the Original Set Pattern dance, their most memorable (and possibly my all time favourite skate from them) was the Paso Doble dance in 1984.

Sadly its now just an Original Dance to a set rhythym, though this years is fun, its tango themed. European Championships on Eurosport live this week! Original Dance is Thursday afternoon, Free Dance Friday evening.<<

Actually, there is a still a compulsory dance, with a set pattern/rhythm, in each national or ISU ice dance competition. Until a few years ago, there were two.

Kate
    Thanks for info about Eurosport.
    I remember that paso-pure magic. I can still hear the music in my head
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone.

I enjoyed the show. it didn't have the wow factor of SCD and what WAS Holly wearing?

i loved the gorgeous John B. and although Andi was not the best skater, he was clearly enjoying himself so it will be fun to watch.

IMO David Seaman shouldn't be there - he won the BBC show last year!!!

I've got tickets for next week = can't wait but it will be interesting to see how they keep it going for 8 weeks.

Claire
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,668
    Forum Member
    IMO David Seaman shouldn't be there - he won the BBC show last year!!!

Claire

Maybe not.. but it hadn't done him any favours.. the judges were relatively mean to him and he was by no means the best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ks2006 wrote:

Kate

Well yeah, but I didnt post about those as they are not exactly audience friendly to watch for the casual fan, hell I was at a major competition in November and practically snoozed through the Ravensburger Waltz. The other ones like a tango are good and the polka is always amusing :)

But I think they are on Eurosport tomorrow afternoon.
  • fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've got tickets for next week = can't wait but it will be interesting to see how they keep it going for 8 weeks.

Claire

Claire, where does it take place? How did you get tickets?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fern3 wrote:
    I want some too
  • musicangelmusicangel Posts: 7,164
    Forum Member
    OMG!! it is such a rip off SCD!!!

I cant watch the train wreck that is dancing on ice!! and to make it worse trying to get people to watch jane and chris, they are past there best a long time ago!! they were awesome, and prob great teachers, but doesnt mean we want to keep seeing them skate roudn the ice! pointless!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fern3 wrote:

Hi

It's being filmed at Elstree Film & TV Studios in Borehamwood (where they do Big Brother).

I got tickets by going on to johnbarrowman.com and there was a news page with a link to how to get tickets - I think it was applauase who are doing the tickets.

If you're fans of John, it's worth going on the site - it's a really good one.

If anyone gets tickets for next week let me know, maybe we'll meet up.

Claire
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just checked on Johnbarrowman.com and the website you want is

www.applausestore.com

claire
  • fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Claire. I've just registered for tickets for 4th Feb. Don't yet know if I've got them.

Quite fancy going to QI, too. This is a good web site.
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it was inevitable that comparrrisons are made to SCD for this show which is actually based on the American one with same name viewing figures for first week were 11.2 million making it the most watched show for 12 months
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK a few thoughts of my own .... !

I love watching SCD because, from a dancers perspective, I understand how things work. I understand the steps, what makes a good dancer, what constitutes a good performance, I love watching the training video's, I even (God love me) enjoy arguing with the judges opinion even thought they can't hear me and my husband tells me off for shouting at the telly!

So, I wondered if, having no knowledge of ice skating at all, would affect my enjoyment of the show. What I found was that I was able to enjoy the performances without noticing all the little niggles that have me so at odds with what the judges have to say! I can now appreciate all the threads on here from people who say that a couple were brilliant in every respect, when they so clearly were not!!

Someone else mentioned the unusual positioning of the judges in relation tot he focus of the routine. I hadn't even noticed this, yet now that it's mentiones I agree that it would indeed be of importance when judging an ice dance routine. It is the same on SCD, where the judges are side onto the camera. Maybe they all have little TV monitors in the desk?

Couples I particularly enjoyed were Bonnie Langford and John Barrowman. Bonnie as expected, came across as very confident and did very well as a result. A few posters have argued that it is unfair to compare the ladies against the men, since it is the men who do all the lifting while the ladies simply have to be lifted. I am going to argue that the ladies have every bit as much to consider as the men in these lifts, as anyone who say Bonnie's training video can testify. She banged her head violently on the ice because she didn't 'take off' properly. Also, with the high lifts, a lady must have complete confidence and trust in her partner and must be able to balance her body in the right way. It's hard enough doing this on a ballroom floor, without speeding around a rink as well! But then again, I speak with little technical knowledge ;-)

John Barrowman was the chap who most looked like he was enjoying it. His introduction said that he has skated on the frozen lake by his house ever since he was little and this translated into an air of confidence on the ice.

Now to the judges and this is what struck me most of all. With the exception of the token judge from the world of choreography, the majority of the panel are skaters themselves. They are qualified to judge what we are seeing. Wht also struck me was how dignified they all were, even when one disagreed with another. There was no arguing, no fighting and no superfluous or personal remarks. Whether this will change as the series goes on remains to be seen, but I thouht thay the panel were dignified and that our own SCD panel could learn a thing or two.