Repeated incoming calls from 002332 code numbers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
Forum Member
✭✭
Is anyone else experiencing this?

Over the past month, I suddenly get a whole host of incoming calls from 002332 dialling code numbers on my mobile. Once it starts, the same number repeatedly calls me time and again - then often hangs up after 2 rings. It can start to happen at any time of the day or night and it will be the same number that continually tries to redial for the period.

Sometimes if I answer quickly, I get a very bad GSM quality line from the other end with a completely unintelligible voice who hangs up after a few seconds, who sounds African French to me (tallies with the 00332 for Ghana).

Almost always, the second call will be listed as the same number but with the leading 0 missing making it an 02332 number - a nonexistent geographic code in the UK at the moment.

Orange tell me that there's nothing they can do to stop incoming calls from specific numbers or dialing codes so this now makes my phone number pretty much useless during these periods (their advice was to switch the phone off overninght - hardly useful if it starts happening during the day!)

Does anyone know if Orange can REALLY block these (they categorically deny they can) or whether I can do it manually on my Sony Ericcson K750i?

(I've had 2 of these single ring calls while I've been typing this)

Comments

• sean2003sean2003 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seen some of these on a Orange phone number i don't use very often. It starts 07790.. Does your number start with that by any chance?

I have an application on my Nokia phone to block calls from people i don't know or certain numbers.. I guess a similar thing is available for your phone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately my number is an original Mercury one2one (now T-Mobile) number that I've ported across several networks and have had since 1993 (017956) so I really don't want to let it go.

There may be a similar application on the Sony Ericcson K750i to allow me to selectively stop specific number or groups of numbers from ringing but Orange said no - and I can't find one myself either.

Blocking anything starting with 002332 and 02332 from ringing would do - but at the moment the phone becomes useless as single and double ring calls start coming from this code for hours on end.

I wonder what possible use would someone have for doing this - surely calls from such regions are extrememt expensive to the UK (as they are in the opposite direction)?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Telephone preference service should get rid of these numbers in a month!

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    The TPS wont help if the call is originating from outside the country.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Create a silent ring tone, then create a contact with the name of "ZZ Ignore Me 1", add the problem phone numbers to it, assign the silent ringmtone to that contact and job sorted... (aside from the vibrating alert anyway). Should hopefully cover you till they give up.

On the K810i you can also chose to only accept calls from selected numbers (within the profiles menu) which may also be an option.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samsung are the only make where you can actually block numbers from ringing as far as I am aware without downloading third party applications.

Orange cannot block numbers I'm afraid - even if you get a crime reference number and ask us to we cannot - all we can offer is to change your number free of charge.