Crufts.

2»

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit crufts was the first and only show we went to, we did think this was normal - so they are not doing shows any good by making the rules as they do because it does put people off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    I have to admit crufts was the first and only show we went to, we did think this was normal - so they are not doing shows any good by making the rules as they do because it does put people off.

I can see what you are saying, however, I do think you have to look at the bigger picture.

At a normal CH show, you would be lucky if you had more than a couple of hundred visitors over three or four days.

At Crufts - not only do you probably have double (if not more) the number of dogs than other CH shows, but also lots of other fabulous doggie activities going on (agility, obedience, flyball, Discover dogs to name a few), and over 4 days, literally thousands and thousands of visitors from members of the public from all corners of the UK and further afield.

Many people do come specifically to see the dogs to help with puppy or breeding decisions, others simply because they just love the dogs - others love the whole regalia of Crufts and want to get lots of doggie bargains.

If you didn't have relatively simple (and enforced) rules for this four days of the year (and one day a year for those dogs lucky enough to qualify) - can you imagine the chaos?

Also, in truth - even the most laid back person can get stressed fighting their way through the crowds.

NOW - can you imagine how this would be for the owner who refuses to leave their dogs, but take it everywhere with them?

It would not only be more stressful for the owner, but it would be absolutely horrendous for the dog(s) as very few dogs (possibly assistance dogs excepted) would ever have been placed in such a manic situation - they could easily enter that venue at 8am a happy confident animal and leave 8 hours later a gibbering wreck.

When you look at the alternatives, benching in quieter, less crowded areas suddenly becomes a good idea - that's not to say dogs should be left alone all day - totally concur with this - but in the same breath, as I pointed out earlier - if on my own at a show, unless I am taking them off the bench for toilet, a little walk, food, showing etc I do observe very much from a distance to avoid the dog getting distressed and injuring itself.

====================

I can see both sides and do understand where you are coming from - but I also recognise that dogs in such an environment is something virtually NO dogs (pets, show, or working dogs) would be familiar with such a manic environment, and as a result, the consequences of not enforcing these rules could have a serious detrimental effect on the dog(s).