I really hate Daphne from eggheads

Comments

• zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bargepole wrote: »
    So she's a Brain of Britain winner, and twice 15 to 1 series champion, who gets well paid for exercising her encyclopaedic level of knowledge on a popular TV quiz show.

Whereas you're a sad no mark posting pathetic insults on an internet forum.

Who should be the one to shut up? Hmm, difficult choice ...

just thought!!! what has happened to a person's freedom of speech without being shouted down!
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chewstick wrote: »
    i swear the whole show is rigged you can just feel it, I wonder if any challenging team has blown up and said hang on a minute and exploded with rage:D NOW things like that would make a show:D

someone said they thought eggheads would do well on university challenge, I doubt anyone saying that has watched university challenge, where the questions are about 3 times harder if not more and you don't get 3 choices to choose from,

There is a website that qives you some University challenge type questions with choices

http://www.supanet.com/quiz/the-university-challenge-quiz-q194p1.html

and then there's the eggheads one

http://www.drumondpark.com/eggheads/play

i think you'll agree the eggheads questions are easier:D

Strangely, I got 8/10 on the University Challenge quiz (mostly educated guesses) but only 19/30 on the Eggheads quiz (I fudged every single sports question!).
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a website that qives you some University challenge type questions with choices

10/10 on University Challenge and 27/30 for Eggheads. I think the Eggheads questions are a mixture of incredibly easy and quite obscure, although with the 3 alternatives to choose from it's often easy to eliminate at least one of the wrong ones.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is so annoying!! Every time she opens her mouth I want her to shut up. Might be harsh but anyone else feel the same?
    She is a smug know it all. I can't stand her myself.
    I remember the first time I saw Daphne, she was on two quiz shows on two channels at the same time and I took an instant dislike to her all those years ago... there's something irritating about her!!! :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daphne's worse than Hitler in my opinion.
  • Mozza111Mozza111 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    The eggheads wouldn't really struggle at university challenge
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    I really like her haha. I like all of them really, maybe I'm just bad on picking up on bad vibes but they all seem like nice people.

*shrug*
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daphne's worse than Hitler in my opinion.

Any truth to the rumour that Daphne has been drowning kittens in her own urine since 1876?
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    She is so annoying!! Every time she opens her mouth I want her to shut up. Might be harsh but anyone else feel the same?

Everyone I know who watches the show can't stand her. She's so bloody smug. When the camera cuts to her (when someone from the opposition gets a question wrong) she gives one of those 'Everyone knows the answer to that one' looks. Also - she's full of false self-modesty - for example when she says she's giving a 'total guess' to a question - I don't believe her. Having said all of that (with the possible exception of Pat) she's the cleverest one of the Eggheads.

My favourite Egghead (which surprises myself no-end) is actually Judith. I know she's not the cleverest one there - but she's the most human - and she does seem to 'have a life'.
  • Ted MurrayTed Murray Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    She excelled yesterday evening, fannying about pretending she was guessing when it was turn, yet immediately nodding or shaking her head when anyone answered a question correctly or incorrectly. The old buzzard doesn't fool me.
    Forum Member
    Ted Murray wrote: »
    She excelled yesterday evening, fannying about pretending she was guessing when it was turn, yet immediately nodding or shaking her head when anyone answered a question correctly or incorrectly. The old buzzard doesn't fool me.

The whole show is a load of old bollocks though isn't it? I mean - I like a quiz show to get through loads of actually challenging questions (like The Chase or Breakaway). Assuming Eggheads went the way of the basic three questions (per person) per head-to-head and three questions (per team) in the final - we'd have had a half hour filled with just 30 questions. And ... you can discount the first question per round (per head/team) as they're just ridiculously easy - like - What colour breast does a Robin Redbreast have?

This is ridiculous when The Chase could get through 30 questions in just 5 - 6 minutes ... and each question is an actual challenge!!!
  • Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was an Eggheads team on Only Connect the other night, made up of Pat Barry and Chris, and they got pumped. Really made my night. Will be on iPlayer.
  • chewstickchewstick Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having said all of that (with the possible exception of Pat) she's the cleverest one of the Eggheads.

Erm kevin i think,

The biddy was on song today when kevin somehow got one wrong on wimbledon/tennis

Omg she threw her head back like someone demented. Please retire her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Any truth to the rumour that Daphne has been drowning kittens in her own urine since 1876?

That wouldn't surprised me - she'd no doubt be giving them her "sorry, it was inevitable" look of insincerity as she did for the poor little mites. :)

PS. Judith's the only one that doesn't take it too seriously & is easily the most likable.
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole show is a load of old bollocks though isn't it? I mean - I like a quiz show to get through loads of actually challenging questions (like The Chase or Breakaway). Assuming Eggheads went the way of the basic three questions (per person) per head-to-head and three questions (per team) in the final - we'd have had a half hour filled with just 30 questions. And ... you can discount the first question per round (per head/team) as they're just ridiculously easy - like - What colour breast does a Robin Redbreast have?

This is ridiculous when The Chase could get through 30 questions in just 5 - 6 minutes ... and each question is an actual challenge!!!

are they? most of the questions on the chase are pretty easy. by contrast it seems to me that eggheads questions are often pretty tough.
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i swear the whole show is rigged you can just feel it, I wonder if any challenging team has blown up and said hang on a minute and exploded with rage:D NOW things like that would make a show:D

someone said they thought eggheads would do well on university challenge, I doubt anyone saying that has watched university challenge, where the questions are about 3 times harder if not more and you don't get 3 choices to choose from,

are you for real? :eek:

yeah i'm sure they'd struggle on university challenge, after all kevin is probably only the greatest quizzer of all time, pat is a several time world quiz champ, plus a few brain of britain winners in there as well :rolleyes:

lot of moronic comments on this thread.
  • Ted MurrayTed Murray Posts: 89
    Forum Member

Egghead's 90% waffle, mainly thanks to them banging on about why they're not choosing 2 of the 3 choices, instead of getting straight to the point. Sometimes I feel like launching a chair towards the TV.

I also wonder whether it makes any difference with the challengers choosing to go first or second, because my suspicious mind tells me that they're still going to get the same questions either way :(
    Forum Member
    Ted Murray wrote: »
    Egghead's 90% waffle, mainly thanks to them banging on about why they're not choosing 2 of the 3 choices, instead of getting straight to the point. Sometimes I feel like launching a chair towards the TV.

The challengers are told to do that. Me and some friends went to audition in Leeds a good few years back. When we (individually and as a team) went to go for our answers - we were told to dismiss the other answers first. So for example if our question was 'Who was Noddy's best friend?' and the choices were A - Hannibal Lecter, B - Jack The Ripper or C - Big Ears - we had to say why we didn't think it was Hannibal Lecter or Jack The Ripper.

BTW - our team thrashed the opposition (some young *York University students) but we never heard back. They like to have teams that have a USP, i.e., they're all hairdressers, they're all OAPs, they're all ginger, etc. It does make me laugh when they say at the end 'Can anyone beat the Eggheads?' - as if they'd just let their embryo researchers choose some decent teams (our team weren't the only ones who hammered their selected opposition but weren't asked back) there are loads of folk out there who could beat the Eggheads.

* In fairness to the York University students we were up against - the entertainment / music questions did tend to favour people over 40!
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    I never really consider knowing lists of facts genius .Which is basically what the Eggheads do .

Agree wholeheartedly. Someone one here later goes on to point out that when they don't know the answer they often work things out from bits of information they do have - that's still not genius it's still based on 'facts' that they know. Not talking about being genius here but to me being intelligent means being able to work things out - such as mathematical equations - not having a good memory or a penchant for learning facts about things you're interested in.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    The challengers are told to do that. Me and some friends went to audition in Leeds a good few years back. When we (individually and as a team) went to go for our answers - we were told to dismiss the other answers first. So for example if our question was 'Who was Noddy's best friend?' and the choices were A - Hannibal Lecter, B - Jack The Ripper or C - Big Ears - we had to say why we didn't think it was Hannibal Lecter or Jack The Ripper.

BTW - our team thrashed the opposition (some young *York University students) but we never heard back. They like to have teams that have a USP, i.e., they're all hairdressers, they're all OAPs, they're all ginger, etc. It does make me laugh when they say at the end 'Can anyone beat the Eggheads?' - as if they'd just let their embryo researchers choose some decent teams (our team weren't the only ones who hammered their selected opposition but weren't asked back) there are loads of folk out there who could beat the Eggheads.

* In fairness to the York University students we were up against - the entertainment / music questions did tend to favour people over 40!

Well I suppose it wouldn't be 'Eggheads' if they let too many teams on that are likely to beat the Eggheads :D
  • bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Going back to the original title of this thread, isn't it the case that many posters on here feel inferior because Daphne and the other Eggheads have a fund of general knowledge which is far in excess of theirs.

They hold an annual quiz at my local village hall, and I've put together a team in which we've got a good mix of people to cover the main subjects, and we've won it 7 years in a row. When we turn up, we can almost feel the hostility emanating from the other teams, somebody even tried to get us banned as "professionals". If only I could persuade some of the others to go on TV, we'd have a good chance against the Eggheads.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back to the original title of this thread, isn't it the case that many posters on here feel inferior because Daphne and the other Eggheads have a fund of general knowledge which is far in excess of theirs.

They hold an annual quiz at my local village hall, and I've put together a team in which we've got a good mix of people to cover the main subjects, and we've won it 7 years in a row. When we turn up, we can almost feel the hostility emanating from the other teams, somebody even tried to get us banned as "professionals". If only I could persuade some of the others to go on TV, we'd have a good chance against the Eggheads.

Regarding your first paragraph, a few people on this thread have said they dislike Daphne because of her allegedly false guessing. I can't say for sure that no-one on this thread feels inferior but like others have suggested, what's to feel inferior about? Being incapable/not bothered to memorise trivia?

How big is your village? Bear in mind that some of the Eggheads have gone considerably far in national quiz competitions, which might be a slightly tougher task than defeating the local Women's Institute team.
    Forum Member

I think thats a load of old tosh! I have no objection to Kevin, Pat, Barry, Chris or Judith. Kevin just gets straight to the point with his answers - and when on the odd occasion he says he doesn't know and will have to go with a guess - you just know he's telling the truth. I just don't believe Daphne when she says her answer is a wild guess - only to have the answer spot-on. The others are genuine - Daphne I feel isn't quite so.

Until a few years back my other half, sister and her other half won an annual quiz in aid of Derian House - about five years on the trot. We didn't feel any anymosity from the other teams at all. You just must not have very nice people in your village (you don't live in Midsomer by any chance do you?):D

If you're that clever too - you probably wouldn't get past the embryonic researchers of the show (as was our team's fate). We were clever but we just didn't have a USP.
  • bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    ... How big is your village? Bear in mind that some of the Eggheads have gone considerably far in national quiz competitions, which might be a slightly tougher task than defeating the local Women's Institute team.
    We've not only defeated the WI, there's teams representing the Library Staff, the amateur dramatics group, the Church hall committee, the Mother & Toddler group, a local manufacturing company, and some family teams.

The Eggies will be quaking in their boots when they see that list! ;)
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    [snip]I have no objection to Kevin, Pat, Barry, Chris or Judith. Kevin just gets straight to the point with his answers - and when on the odd occasion he says he doesn't know and will have to go with a guess - you just know he's telling the truth..

That's the nub of it for me, too.... and I'd definitely have Kevin on my pub quiz team any day of the week. :)