Options

How do people find so much time to play games?

Comments

• Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only TV I watch is sport and that has been helped by the PS4 remote play. Sport on the TV and games on the laptop. I used to have to choose.

I have played more games since the PC remote play.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    I've noticed on this forum, and other gaming sites that people seem to have so much time to play games. Just wondering how people do it.
    By the time i get home from work, have dinner and get the house sorted its usually about 8. I go to bed about 10.30/11 and that only gives 2-3 hours (excluding everything else), but ive seen people (claiming at least) completing 40+ hour games in days.
    The bigger games that take 120+ hours, would take me years to finish.

It aint difficult to get up play a game for a hour go to work, come home play for a couple hours then have tea then get another hour or two in then go out then come home and play a couple hours before bed.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    It aint difficult to get up play a game for a hour go to work, come home play for a couple hours then have tea then get another hour or two in then go out then come home and play a couple hours before bed.

If I did this I would probably be late for work everyday as I tend to lose track of time when gaming. :blush:
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work 9 hours/day, 5 days/week + the odd weekend overtime. I pretty much only eat out so I don't really do any cooking.
    So after I've had a shower, done washing/whatever, from 5:30pm to... average 10:30pm I do whatever I like ie games. I live in a brand new (3 years) 1 bedroom apartment - video link, so the cleaning choirs is minimal.

I'm 35, have no kids that I know of, live by myself, have my own mortgage. On £13.70/hour can easily afford gaming its one of the cheapest hobbies/luxuries for adults.

Kids = massive money sink - from what I've seen.

So potentially if I really wanted to I could play games easily 50 hours a week.
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RS_mark84 wrote: »
    I used to find plenty of time, Even more when I was a school kid.

Since buying my house on my own, I found it even easier. Go to work get home and game.

Then my car obsession took over me, and i had a family I rarely find time to really sit down and play them. If the weather nice outside i'd play around with my cars, If its crap i'd play a game, but my daughter would find ways of stopping me.
    Sounds like me when I was 20-22, less the kid part.
    I had a bad crash when I was 22, banned from driving for 2 years, I quit my job, lived off my savings at my parents house, I was a very hardcore gamer for 3 years and proper loved it. Then reality sets in... gotta get life back into action. Now 9 years later I'm doing quite good, mortgage should be paid off after 12 years total when I'll be 45... freeing up £530/month.

Moral of the story... stick to gaming, its far more safe compared to other pass-times, and usually MUCH cheaper.
  • Options
    Kai ThompsonKai Thompson Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do people find the time to read books or bomb through box sets or watch 4 hour films.

They make time.

As you know, video games last longer than 4 hours.
    Books can be read while travelling, easy to finish.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work 8 till 5 but I can usually be home and fed by 6 - living a solid 5 hours gameplay if I wanted to. More often than not these days though I'll have better things to do and will only have a proper 3-4 hour session at the weekend. I suppose that's why I still have so many games to play.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I work shifts of either 5am/ 6am start and usually finish between 9am and 11am mon-sat, so I get most of the day to myself.

Having said that, my Xbox One is a bit dusty, I don't game all that much until some big game comes out, then I'm gripped :p

I'm waiting for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a stay at home mum. If anything I find I have too much time and struggle to fill it with gaming.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Lots of small amounts of time (i.e. whenever you have a spare half hour) soon adds up to a larger amount of time over a week or month. If you get really addicted to a game, then you start finding excuses to be playing it rather than doing something else!

Also, I suppose less time spent on forums discussing gaming (amongst other things), could result in more time for actual gaming! :D
  • Options
    TurbulenceTurbulence Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have all the time in the world, but tend to spend around 3-4 hours on average playing video games. Mostly in the evening, as I prefer to go out in the afternoons.
  • Options
    NinjaJellyBeaNNinjaJellyBeaN Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Depending tbf? When i get home from work i usually kick up like a few hours here and there, if i have a day off and i have nothing to do no shopping nor plans i usually play majority of the day ^.^
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends what you mean by 'finish' a game. Some gamers seem to think there is some kind of race on to see who can get the game first, tear off the wrapping first and make it to the 'end' in the shortest possible time.
    The fact that they've probably by-passed 80% of the game in the process matters not. I know people who rammed their way through Fallout 3 to the end of 'project purity' in just a few days and then complained it was 'a bit short', while leaving the other 99% of the game untouched.
  • Options
    Talukdar_ShahebTalukdar_Shaheb Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    This is called love and passion. If you really like it, you will make yourself free time to play.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    Bizarre thread. Does the OP really have a problem with the concept that some people have more free time than him?
  • Options
    iDirtyPenguiniDirtyPenguin Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I work 9 - 5 - Mon to Fri; I play Football 4 - 6 times a week; I go to the gym 2 - 3 times a week and see my OH 2 -3 times a week.

Yet spend most of my time gaming lol.

Last night for example, had football 5 - 6 pm then 6:30 - 7:30pm - home for 8pm. Showered and Bed for 3am.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work a 4-day week and still find little time to play games, although most of the time its just me being lazy, I seem to like watching other people play games these days, Twitch etc...
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work 9 - 5 - Mon to Fri; I play Football 4 - 6 times a week; I go to the gym 2 - 3 times a week and see my OH 2 -3 times a week.

Yet spend most of my time gaming lol.

Last night for example, had football 5 - 6 pm then 6:30 - 7:30pm - home for 8pm. Showered and Bed for 3am.

I Would be dead going to bed at three am on a work night. Are you not exhausted all the time ?
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not requiring a lot of sleep helps. I only get about 4 or 5 hours, so I can easily get 4-5 hours gaming a night even if starting late on.

at the risk of sounding rude thats pretty pathetic mate

prioritise sleep over games. seriously
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »

Where did he say that? He just said he doesn't need much sleep. Not everyone requires 8 hours a night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did he say that? He just said he doesn't need much sleep. Not everyone requires 8 hours a night.

4-5 doesnt sound healthy to me.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

4-5 doesnt sound healthy to me.

I just don't sleep much. Never have. My mam even said as a baby I didn't sleep for long periods.

In my twenties I would be out 5 nights a week in some bar or club until 2am and still be up at 6:30 to go to the gym. Gym-work-gym/footy-bar repeat. Now that I'm older and all but one of mates has kids the mid-week bar scene is over for us so I just replaced it with gaming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't sleep much. Never have. My mam even said as a baby I didn't sleep for long periods.

In my twenties I would be out 5 nights a week in some bar or club until 2am and still be up at 6:30 to go to the gym. Gym-work-gym/footy-bar repeat. Now that I'm older and all but one of mates has kids the mid-week bar scene is over for us so I just replaced it with gaming.

ok if you genuinely dont feel any negatives after such little sleep then thats cool.

still wouldnt reccomend it myself mind!
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok if you genuinely dont feel any negatives after such little sleep then thats cool.

still wouldnt reccomend it myself mind!

Da Vinci only slept 1.5 hours a day and look what he did.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have more success finishing games that have a more focused narrative and finish after around 25 hours. Open world games I don't stand a chance of finishing properly, I been playing Fallout 4 on and off since it was released and still no where near finished. With shorter games I see an end so am more inclined to spend time on it and finish.