Poldark, Series Two

Comments

• Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    He's jealous of the Poldarks because they're genuine nobility fallen on hard times, and the Warleggan wealth has come from their family being in trade.

Vulgar little parvenu
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose Francis missed. That would be about par!

I was waiting for Ross to take George's hand....the hold it over the candle.
  • Angela_DaviesAngela_Davies Posts: 830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A tad slow don't you think?
    I'm a bit surprised that there aren't more comments on here!
    Lovin the Doc! Yum, yum!
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BTW, Francis
    isn't going anywhere, thank goodness
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was a good opening episode. I like the girl playing Caroline she has captured the character well so far.

Francis was great tonight but Elizabeth is still annoying me.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    I thought that was a good opening episode. I like the girl playing Caroline she has captured the character well so far.

Francis was great tonight but Elizabeth is still annoying me.

She is a very irritating little madam.
  • bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so glad Francis chose Ross when it mattered. I wished he'd made Ross more aware of his support though, or that he'd been overheard when putting down George. I also hoped he would do more to actually try and help Ross.

Ah well if he survives theres still time i suppose.

Future storyline spoiler
    I can't see any conceivable way it will be believable that Ross will go off and sleep with starchy uptight Elizabeth when he has Demelza at home. It'll take some pretty genius writing to make that work imo
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Brilliant.

I agree. I really did not want it to end without finding out how Ross get's off, which he obviously does. I watched the original series but have forgotten a lot of the story.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobbla wrote: »
    I'm so glad Francis chose Ross when it mattered. I wished he'd made Ross more aware of his support though, or that he'd been overheard when putting down George. I also hoped he would do more to actually try and help Ross.

Ah well if he survives theres still time i suppose.

Future storyline spoiler
    I can't see any conceivable way it will be believable that Ross will go off and sleep with starchy uptight Elizabeth when he has Demelza at home. It'll take some pretty genius writing to make that work imo

BBC has baled out as apparently 21st century audiences can't cope. Hmm... I'd have thought it was more an issue for my grandmother in 70's who led a sheltered life. Mind you they had watched Forsyte Saga by then!
  • bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    BBC has baled out as apparently 21st century audiences can't cope. Hmm... I'd have thought it was more an issue for my grandmother in 70's who led a sheltered life. Mind you they had watched Forsyte Saga by then!

Even with the revised storyine i just can't imagine it. I guess i just don't like that character lol
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first series moved at a pace. This episode - not so much. I do hope they are not going to mess with the characters to create 'interesting' plot lines. It will be just an ordinary boring soap if they do that.
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supercell wrote: »
    I thought he was from Cornwall?

Born and bred, same as me. Haven't seen E1 as yet, so can't comment on it's authenticity. ;-)
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once again too many shots of people walking/riding along that clifftop but solid, entertaining Sunday evening TV. I think an autumn slot will suit it better too.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A tad slow don't you think?
    I'm a bit surprised that there aren't more comments on here!
    Lovin the Doc! Yum, yum!
    The first series moved at a pace. This episode - not so much. I do hope they are not going to mess with the characters to create 'interesting' plot lines. It will be just an ordinary boring soap if they do that.

It's not slow at all ! The BBC have to fit a lot in from the Winston Graham novels. There were 12 altogether, spanning from about 1783 - 1820. The books were very detailed and the kind that you immersed yourself in. They were not frothy chick-lit bodice rippers !

Obviously there are some people who won't be able to sit long enough and appreciate the detail : when the plot goes into Ross's financial troubles or the nuances of his battles with George or the law, they say it's slow and unexciting !! For those who have read the books, seen the original series etc. it's a delight to be savoured. Some things have been left out of course, but the BBC are doing a fine job.

I'm very impressed with Eleanor as the new Demelza - just as good as Angharad, and Elizabeth is far more believable too. As well as Verity, who is too meek and mild in this version, the Warleggans are also miscast - the original father and son had much more screen presence I think, especially Ralph Bates as George.
  • humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not slow at all ! The BBC have to fit a lot in from the Winston Graham novels. There were 12 altogether, spanning from about 1783 - 1820. The books were very detailed and the kind that you immersed yourself in. They were not frothy chick-lit bodice rippers !

Obviously there are some people who won't be able to sit long enough and appreciate the detail : when the plot goes into Ross's financial troubles or the nuances of his battles with George or the law, they say it's slow and unexciting !! For those who have read the books, seen the original series etc. it's a delight to be savoured. Some things have been left out of course, but the BBC are doing a fine job.

I'm very impressed with Eleanor as the new Demelza - just as good as Angharad, and Elizabeth is far more believable too. As well as Verity, who is too meek and mild in this version, the Warleggans are also miscast - the original father and son had much more screen presence I think, especially Ralph Bates as George.

But each series is only based on a few of the books and they are not that long compared to Victorian novels. I feel like they were stretching out the story.

Does the lack of comments here indicate a drop in viewers?

Yes it was slow but most costume dramas are. It looked beautiful and that is important.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    She is a very irritating little madam.

Yes exactly at first she appears to be superficial but there is a lot more to the character underneath.

Some beautiful scenery shots as well last night. The setting is as good looking as the cast. I can't understand why anyone would complain about the countryside views.
  • Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,735
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    BTW, Francis
    isn't going anywhere, thank goodness
    Yet .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobbla wrote: »
    Future storyline spoiler

There is no need for the BBC scriptwriters to invent anything when it is all covered in the original book.
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    There is no need for the BBC scriptwriters to invent anything when it is all covered in the original book.

Precisely - if anything there will be things they need to take out to fit it all in. The books are much more detailed than anything written specifically for TV these days.

MrAlley was saying it's much more detailed than Downton Abbey ever was - and that's probably down to the source material.
    Forum Member
    Unless he's going to recover and live, Francis died differently in the original series - he fell into the water in the mine and drowned because he couldn't swim !!

Glad you remembered this SeasideLady - although I don't remember how they did it in the first series, I was sure in the books it was an accident in the mine which did for Francis in the end.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the original (watch with my mum as a teen), Francis was killed down the mine! He went down with Ross and it flooded he was trapped and Ross could not save him. That is what I remember!
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Francis' pistol misfired - probably a "flash in the pan" where the flint lights the powder but doesn't propel the ball out of the barrel of the gun.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of people giving away the Francis storyline on this thread. Maybe there should be a no spoiler policy.

I can't see how, the way the series has been written, Ross can rush off and
    ravish/rape Elizabeth after Francis' death.

Are they going to change that? But the repercussions permeate the later books.

If they do change it I don't think, as someone upthread said, it's because we can't handle it - it's because they're portraying Ross as nicer than he was in the books.

In the books he still hankers after Elizabeth, but in this series he seems totally besotted by Demelza.

Is it me, or is Aidan looking a bit chubbier in the face than he did? (The rest of him is just fine :D).
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed the episode last night, I was too involved in it to post throughout. My girl crush on Demelza is still going strong. Still not getting the attraction of Elizabeth, the actress who plays the new character Caroline could have suited the part better, at least looks wise. I haven't seen enough of her to judge her acting.

Francis will probably miss with that pistol knowing him. At least he is trying to be loyal to Ross.
    Lots of people giving away the Francis storyline on this thread. Maybe there should be a no spoiler policy.

If they do change it I don't think, as someone upthread said, it's because we can't handle it - it's because they're portraying Ross as nicer than he was in the books.

In the books he still hankers after Elizabeth, but in this series he seems totally besotted by Demelza.

Is it me, or is Aidan looking a bit chubbier in the face than he did? (The rest of him is just fine :D).
    I think I read Ross will sleep with Elizabeth but it will be consensual, but with Demelza at home I have no idea why he would do that.

Your right though, the reason is not that we can't handle it, but because it doesn't fit with the Ross they have given us in this series. Perhaps that was an oversimplification to begin with, but I can see why they feel it wouldn't work.
    Forum Member

Have a feeling Granny that they are 'toning down' the event you mention in your spoiler
    As I saw an article which suggested it will be consensual...

But they can't cut it completely, as you quite rightly say, it does have consequences later on particularly if they are hoping to take the series the whole way up to the last book.