Options

One Tuner or Two?

I want to buy my parents a PVR.

They already have a TV with a Freeview receiver in it, so would a twin tuner PVR be unnecessary?

Comments

• Options
    WendoleneWendolene Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Molpole wrote: »
    I want to buy my parents a PVR.

They already have a TV with a Freeview receiver in it, so would a twin tuner PVR be unnecessary?

I would say definatley NOT. Once you own a twin tuner PVR you will wonder how you ever managed without it.

It means you can record two separate programs at once. For example you can record a program on BBC1 and ITV1 at the same time. Most twin tuner PVR's will let you do that AND watch a previously recorded programme too.

It all adds up at a very flexible device.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With only one tuner you can not watch a recorded programme while another one is being created. With a single tuner you would have to wait.
    Similarly if you were watching a recording you could be interupted by another recording starting to be created.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    You've convinced me - two tuners it is!

Thank you

:)
  • Options
    creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    With only one tuner you can not watch a recorded programme while another one is being created. With a single tuner you would have to wait.
    Similarly if you were watching a recording you could be interupted by another recording starting to be created.
    With most single tuner PVRs you can watch a recorded programme whilst another is being recorded. The only exception I know of is the old Humax 8000T.

Definitely get a twin tuner IMO. In fact I don't know of any single tuner PVRs (discounting DVD Recorders with a Freeview tuner which some refer to as PVRs) which are currently being produced.

Colin