Dirty brown sludge on washing.

crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sick of this problem. Every so often the washing cycle finishes and nearly every item has this dirty brown sludge type stuff on it. Any idea where it's coming from as we've to wash again and are wasting water, power and detergent? :mad: Doesn't happen every time. Is it okay to use a Finish dishwasher cleaner in a washing machine?

Comments

• susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sick of this problem. Every so often the washing cycle finishes and nearly every item has this dirty brown sludge type stuff on it. Any idea where it's coming from as we've to wash again and are wasting water, power and detergent? :mad: Doesn't happen every time. Is it okay to use a Finish dishwasher cleaner in a washing machine?

Try Calgon, that might work. Sounds like the machine needs a good flush-through.
  • bluecatt73bluecatt73 Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Sick of this problem. Every so often the washing cycle finishes and nearly every item has this dirty brown sludge type stuff on it. Any idea where it's coming from as we've to wash again and are wasting water, power and detergent? :mad: Doesn't happen every time.

I had a similar problem (although it sounds like your issue is on a grander scale!). It turned out the greasy brown stuff was hiding in the recesses of the rubber seal around the door opening. I wipe it away with a cloth on a regular basis & I haven't had the problem now in months. Check that seal!
  • khakidrillkhakidrill Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Sick of this problem. Every so often the washing cycle finishes and nearly every item has this dirty brown sludge type stuff on it. Any idea where it's coming from as we've to wash again and are wasting water, power and detergent? :mad: Doesn't happen every time.

Had exactly the same problem & it was from the gap between the drum & the rubber seal.You can get your fingers behind the seal & clean it out with a cloth. (it is horribly yucky).
    It apparently builds up because we tend to wash at lower temps these days.
    It happens to us when the washer is really full & the clothes are up against the door.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have a go at running the machine empty - put it on a cycle that has a pre-wash and then a boil/hot wash cycle afterwards. Put detergent in and I would stick a bit of bleach in for good measure.

I agree with the poster above, Calgon would be good :)

Also - have you tried removing the drawer thingy where the washing powder/fabric softener goes in, and giving it a good clean? They can get pretty manky quickly, and I suppose its just possible that whatever is in there (if anything!) is transferring to your laundry.

HTH.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replies. Doesn't seem like grease and doesn't smell at all. Best I can describe it is brown thick sludge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I

Also - have you tried removing the drawer thingy where the washing powder/fabric softener goes in, and giving it a good clean? They can get pretty manky quickly, and I suppose its just possible that whatever is in there (if anything!) is transferring to your laundry.

HTH.

Yep, looked and it's not there.

Will look at the gap behind the door seal, ta. Seems to only do it when it's fuller load!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    same thing happens to me ...usually the seal around the door
  • darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't put shitty nappies in the machine :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkmoth wrote: »
    Don't put shitty nappies in the machine :eek:

We have no baby.:D
  • darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have no baby.:D

Have you cleaned the filter? You should do that once a month.
    At the front bottom of your machine there should be a flush square piece that you can open with a key or coin. Open that, put a towel down and open the filter.
    The water that comes out will stink as it's been there a while, you might find something has been blocking it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Put detergent in and I would stick a bit of bleach in for good measure.

potentially bad idea , you dont want to release a cloud of chlorine :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Am I missing something here, are you using a dishwashing tablet, to wash clothes in a washing machine?????
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something here, are you using a dishwashing tablet, to wash clothes in a washing machine?????

:eek: I think the OP just knew that you could clean a dishwasher using Finish, and wondered if it would do for washing machines. Which it probably would, but I think Calgon is safer.
  • The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Try Calgon, that might work. Sounds like the machine needs a good flush-through.

Washing machines live longer with calgon!
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP have you made sure your machine is level (with a spirit level) and that all the feet are securely tightened? Sometimes if a machine is not level the drum may rub too much against the rubber and you get the brown dirt on washing like you describe.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluecatt73 wrote: »
    I had a similar problem (although it sounds like your issue is on a grander scale!). It turned out the greasy brown stuff was hiding in the recesses of the rubber seal around the door opening. I wipe it away with a cloth on a regular basis & I haven't had the problem now in months. Check that seal!

That was the problem with mine too when the washing was coming out with gunge on it.

I tried cleaning it after each cycle but even that wasn't enough. In the end we got a new seal fitted and the problem has been cured!
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put the machine on the highest setting like 90c and put a small amount of bleach in the drum without clothes of course and then let the cycle complete. Then run it again with some washing powder or what ever you use. This should clean the system out. :)
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This stuff is quite good:

http://www.dr-beckmann.co.uk/products/laundry-products/service-it-washing-machine-cleaner/

Cleans all the crud inside the machine and you can use on the seal too.

It is easy to get. Some supermarkets sell it.
  • slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you eat a lot of stuff with bananas in it?

Apparently bananas are really, really bad for dishwashers and clog up their drains. Follow all the advice about unclogging it then make sure you always thoroughly rinse anythin with banana waste on it before you put it in the machine in future.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calgon?

Do you know what calgon actually does?

One thing it doesn't do is clean washing machines, the second thing it doesn't do is 'makes machines last longer'.

Check this page out and the various links for some real solutions.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=161
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    slsls wrote: »
    Do you eat a lot of stuff with bananas in it?

Apparently bananas are really, really bad for dishwashers and clog up their drains. Follow all the advice about unclogging it then make sure you always thoroughly rinse anythin with banana waste on it before you put it in the machine in future.

OP is asking about a washing machine , not a dishwasher , read the thread ;)
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Calgon?

Do you know what calgon actually does?

One thing it doesn't do is clean washing machines, the second thing it doesn't do is 'makes machines last longer'.

Check this page out and the various links for some real solutions.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=161

What does calgon do then? :confused:
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calgon is just a water softener. All it does is in cases where there is hard water, it helps prevent limescale and allows the detergent to create more suds.

The effects are minimal, where calgons manufacturers have been asked to substanciate thier claims with hard eveidence they've alway declined to show any.

Imo as an engineer of 25 years+ it's a complete waste of money and a con.

It does sweet FA for washing machines.
  • Loop o' SoupLoop o' Soup Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    The Geek wrote: »
    Washing machines live longer with calgon!

No they fcuking don't. :mad: :D
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had exactly the same problem about a month ago. Have a delve in the seal between the door and the drum and you will be amazed at what comes out.Takes loads of kitchen towel to wipe out but when all the loose stuff comes away nothing should get onto the washing again.