Options

Why does anyone bother getting married in Albert Square?

BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
Forum Member
Take 2011 for example. We've had Jane and Ian, Masood and Zainab, Tanya and Greg (the bride starting an affair on her very wedding day!) and Ronnie and Jack all split up. Darren and Jodie didn't even make it to the alter. Then there's Kat and Alfie who seem to be on and off more times than a hooker's knickers!

Then think back to recent years - Janine and Ryan and Amira and Syed didn't even make it past the 5 month mark. Roxy and Sean just about managed it! Peggy and Archie were literally married an hour and a half before she dumped him - breaking Mel and Ian's record for shortest marriage! Janine could only bear 12 hours of marriage to Barry before pushing him off a big hill (I refuse to call it a cliff, it was a big hill! ;)), Denise and Lucas didn't manage to celebrate an anniversary and Stacey and Bradley got 2 weddings in to each other before they even turned 21!

I'm not holding strong hopes for Ricky and Bianca - and as far as I know, Tamwar and Afia are the only other married couple on the show who don't constantly bicker... :o

Comments

• Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the script writers run out of ideas?

Because it gives a setting for something nasty to happen?

Because everyone loves a wedding?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take 2011 for example. We've had Jane and Ian, Masood and Zainab, Tanya and Greg (the bride starting an affair on her very wedding day!) and Ronnie and Jack all split up. Darren and Jodie didn't even make it to the alter. Then there's Kat and Alfie who seem to be on and off more times than a hooker's knickers!

Then think back to recent years - Janine and Ryan and Amira and Syed didn't even make it past the 5 month mark. Roxy and Sean just about managed it! Peggy and Archie were literally married an hour and a half before she dumped him - breaking Mel and Ian's record for shortest marriage! Janine could only bear 12 hours of marriage to Barry before pushing him off a big hill (I refuse to call it a cliff, it was a big hill! ;)), Denise and Lucas didn't manage to celebrate an anniversary and Stacey and Bradley got 2 weddings in to each other before they even turned 21!

I'm not holding strong hopes for Ricky and Bianca - and as far as I know, Tamwar and Afia are the only other married couple on the show who don't constantly bicker... :o

It's a little known fact that Reg Cox was married to a very powerful Haitian Voodoo priestess, named Gladys. When Gladys came home early one day and found Reg doing the horizontal shuffle with Marjorie Pickford, from No.24, it broke her heart. In a terrible fit of rage, she cursed Reg, Marjorie and the whole of Albert Square to an eternity of misery and suffering. No marriage would ever be happy again. No child would ever be kept out of day care.. She divorced Reg and now lives in Romford.
  • Options
    EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps not the most exciting of couples, but if they insist on keeping Billy and Patrick around then they should have left them married to Honey and Yolande. It was a stupid decision to split them up and now look at the mess we're in. Hardly any long term marriages left.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The issue is more that there aren't that many secure, long term partnerships going on right now. There are a reasonable amount of couples, yet, many of them don't have a real spark to them now. There's Kat and Alfie as long term, but they're going through the motions, and that's about it. Some couples just shouldn't be split up, such as Jane and Ian, and Masood/Zainab, I think.

Marriage is overrated - but seeing some more secure partnerships would be a good thing.
  • Options
    BridgeStBridgeSt Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    This is another of the shows major problems. If viewers have no faith that any couple will last why should we be expected to invest in them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they're not meant to know they are on a TV Show where everything bad is ten times more likely to happen. If they knew this, they might leave walford. :eek:
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that the only marriage / couple that will last is Christian and Syed. They seem to be the only couple who actually still like each other.

Ah just remembered Dot and Jim - still married even if he isn't in the show any more!