At What Age Did You Leave School ?

Comments

• nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was 16 at the end of 5th year in 2001, well in the August as I got my exam results, and I couldn't do higher biology and as it was the only reason I was going back to school I left. I then got my first full time job in the February, that was 2002. I have since been at college and university and worked all sorts of hours and jobs, but have now been unemployed since 2009 and its bloody killing me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14 officially, but probably more like 13 and a half, after the first year, I did not do much secondary school, pretty bad I know.
  • RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    I left the day after my 16th birthday, couldn't wait either, hated school.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    18, after A levels.
  • Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left school on the last Friday in May 1978, the day the schools broke up for the Spring Bank Holiday. I turned 16 on the Monday the schools re-opened (ten days later). I don't regret it as I managed to obtain my first full-time job at the beginning of September the same year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I left school in May 2010 aged 18, can't believe its been more than 2 years its scary how fast time is going.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calboy2009 wrote: »
    I left school in May 2010 aged 18, can't believe its been more than 2 years its scary how fast time is going.

I still feel 18, and I left school 11 years ago!
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left a month before my 17th birthday, which was towards the end of fifth year just after I had sat my highers.

Don't regret it one bit. I went straight into F/T employment earning money instead of boring myself to tears in further education.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    17, because my birthday is July, and my exams finished the beginning of June
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still feel 18

How lucky for the people involved, all 18 of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I left at at 15 in the summer of 1970. I could have left in the April, my birthday being late September. I'd chosen to stay on to the fifth year but changed my mind because the chance of freedom from such a horribly backwards place was too much of a temptation, so I jumped ship.

I dossed aroud for a couple of months over the summer. Jobs were plentiful then, even without qualifications, you could just walk into a one. I got every job I applied for in those in that decade, and I had about fifteen.
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left at 16. I absolutely hated my school and view it now with nothing but contempt. I still have nightmares about it now and I'm 34.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neolithic :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How lucky for the people involved, all 18 of them.

Yes, hilarious.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left at age 16 on a Friday and started work 3 days later on the Monday. No time off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chris1978 wrote: »
    I left at 16. I absolutely hated my school and view it now with nothing but contempt. I still have nightmares about it now and I'm 34.

I had a nightmare about school recently. I dreamt I failed all the exams and I had to keep going back, and back, like I was stuck there in the same year getting older and it was ridiculous :cry:
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ruffles wrote: »
    I had a nightmare about school recently. I dreamt I failed all the exams and I had to keep going back, and back, like I was stuck there in the same year getting older and it was ridiculous :cry:

It's amazing how it affects people in later life. I know a few people who dream about school still. In my dreams I'm always stuck in a classroom with the class. I usually get told off by the teacher about something silly and say "I shouldn't be here, I have a job, I'm too old now, you can't make me stay" I then make a run for it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Left school at 15 in 1966 and had a choice of 4 apprenticeships.

Started with ICI the following intake. Did a few short term jobs until I started there.
  • Raring_to_goRaring_to_go Posts: 20,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I left school at 15 and started an apprenticeship at 16 my education continued with day release at a technical college and then evening classes.

I loved both school and work.
  • quin_the_eskimoquin_the_eskimo Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried to leave at sixteen after fifth year (I got good grades in 6 Highers) but they weren't keen on letting me go. I had already been accepted to University but wanted to spend a year working to save up. I eventually left after completing sixth year aged 17. I don't regret the extra year as it was very relaxed and fun as all the arseholes had left by then. I'm particularly glad I had an extra year of "childhood" as I suffered a massive stroke in the August after finishing sixth year.
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Officially 16. Effectively 13 full time. Beyond that I'd attend 20% of the time, if not less.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough, today is the 29th anniversary of my last day at my first secondary school, when I was 14, as I recall we finished Friday 1 July. Exactly this time, 29 years ago, I was having my last-ever lesson there, as we finished at dinnertime. It was RE, and everyone was dossing about, only the teacher didn't mind, as it was the last day. Makes me feel old, thinking that was nearly 30 years ago, and I've lived my age then twice more since then, making me three times as old.
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
    Forum Member
    I left the school at the rightful age of 16 and I'm glad that I left.
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I left at age 16 on a Friday and started work 3 days later on the Monday. No time off.

Other than the three days. Poxy layabout
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
    Forum Member
    chris1978 wrote: »

I hated my school too and I have nightmares too as well as day mares (if such things exist) and I believe that's what holds me back.