Rebecca Adlington retires....at 23

Comments

• Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She says ""I love swimming but as a competitive element and elite athlete I won't compete any more," she said." She said she doesn't want to milk it all she can, she'll be 27 by the next Olympics, and that it didn't feel the same getting back into training. It's difficult even training for low-level sporting competitions, and if you don't have the motivation to want to do it, that is the right time to retire as an elite athlete.

Now she's apparently going to be heading a swimming programme to encourage young people to start swimming, and leave school able to swim 25m, so she's not just giving up and doing nothing, just moving on into different aspects of her career.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    How many Olympic gold medals did Sharron Davies win?

Rebecca won 2 at the same games. Not bad, if you ask me ;)

Sharron Davies won 2 Golds, 3 silvers and 4 Bronzes, maybe you should check before trying to prove someone wrong.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Sharron Davies, IMO was cheated of a gold medal or more, because of the illegal drug using tactics, done for some swimmers, who were living behind the Iron Curtain, e.g. the former East Germany (DDR).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Germany
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Germany#Sport

She was robbed basically, and I believe she is still pissed off about this to this day.

http://www.clinchem.org/content/43/7/1262.full
    wikipedia wrote:
    Sharron Elizabeth Davies MBE (born 1 November 1962) is a retired swimmer from the United Kingdom. She won a silver medal in the 400 metre individual medley at the 1980 Olympics in Moscow, and two gold medals at the 1978 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton. Since retiring from the sport, she has worked as television presenter and served as a patron of charities for disabled children and fitness.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Davies has been very vocal in the calls for a reallocation of medals and titles at the various games where East German athletes won using illegal, drug supported development techniques. Sports bodies have recognised the superior achievement of athletes like Sharron who shunned the use of performance enhancing substances but have fallen short of rewriting the medal tables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharron_Davies
  • Amnesia HazeAmnesia Haze Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol. :eek:

She was rubbish anyway.
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this "the competition is really, really hard at Olympic level now, I pissed it before in Asia, but they have trained and got really good at swimming,I'm rich now, so can't be arsed. I like shoes."

When the going got tough.......
    <Devils advocate>
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People seem to be confusing retiring from a sport with retiring from work.

She is retiring from professional swimming which is a sport dominated by young people and she probably feels she has already peaked and done all she needed to do in the sport.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Sharron Davies won 2 Golds, 3 silvers and 4 Bronzes, maybe you should check before trying to prove someone wrong.

Sharon Davies won no Olympic Gold Medals - so maybe you should check.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »

Now she's apparently going to be heading a swimming programme to encourage young people to start swimming, and leave school able to swim 25m

It looks like Saturday night ITV is the place to avoid then ;)
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She is retiring from professional swimming which is a sport dominated by young people and she probably feels she has already peaked and done all she needed to do in the sport.

She's 23 not 33. LOL. That is still young. It's quite depressing if you ask me. I wouldn't be surprised if she regrets this decision....
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's giving up a sport not retiring from a job...jeez cu her some slack, she has probably been training every day of her life since she was about 7.

Maybe she wants to quit training and actually try out a business venture...you know...work!

Good luck to her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »

Maybe you should check the content of my post. I said Olympic golds. Davies won zero.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Exactly this. I'd be amazed if Rebecca has earnt enough money to live on for the rest of her life, so she will have to keep working to some extent.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    And. What is she going to do now.
    She's going to become a stand-up comedian making jokes about Frankie Boyle's appearance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    premixxed wrote: »
    Is this "the competition is really, really hard at Olympic level now, I pissed it before in Asia, but they have trained and got really good at swimming,I'm rich now, so can't be arsed. I like shoes."

When the going got tough.......
    <Devils advocate>

..... raking in a few hundred thousand quid for busting a few moves with those hunky Strictly dancers must seem much more appealing :D:D
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Legends don't retire at 23. :cry:

Lets be honest, she got the cash young and couldn't be arsed putting the hours in.
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    She'll have some porpoiseful career no doubt.

let's hope she has a whale of a time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's 23 not 33. LOL. That is still young. It's quite depressing if you ask me. I wouldn't be surprised if she regrets this decision....

Yep, you're right...I would also regret only ever achieving 2 olympic golds!

Good grief!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Exactly this. I'd be amazed if Rebecca has earnt enough money to live on for the rest of her life, so she will have to keep working to some extent.

Does swimming really pay the same wages as Formula 1 or football? It does seem bizarre :confused:

Unless she's been careful with the sponsorship money and not spent a great deal
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Yep, you're right...I would also regret only ever achieving 2 olympic golds!

Good grief!!!
    It'll look really crap on the CV right? She probably wants to go and have a life but whatever she does those medals will make it easier.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lets be honest, she got the cash young and couldn't be arsed putting the hours in.

In certain sports, like swimming, they often do.
    Forum Member

She's not a footballer, swimming is not a lucrative sport and unlike footballers she would have actually had to put in some insane training to do as well as she has.

Taken from BBC Sport following the 2008 olympics:
    The ones that really matter, the real story behind Rebecca Adlington's double gold in the pool.

Her day starts when the alarm goes at 5.15am.

By 5.45am she is getting changed at her home pool in Nottingham - home of Nova Centurion Swimming Club.

After a quick warm-up poolside, she is in the water by 6am.

Over the next two hours she will swim about 320 lengths.

She will have swum around 8,000m before many of us are out of bed.

Then it is home for breakfast, a sleep, a bit of TV - then at 4.15pm it's time to leave for the pool again for the second session of the day - when she gets to do it all again.

This happens every day of the week, except Wednesday - when coach Bill Furniss gives her and the 20 or so other members of the Centurion elite squad the morning off - and Saturday, when they get a whole extra hour in bed.

"The best hour of the week," says Centurion and GB team-mate and friend Jess Sylvester, who estimates that in a week Adlington may swim up to 80,000m.

That's more than 50 miles.

It's not glamorous. And it's not lucrative.

As a member of the British Swimming elite team, Adlington is funded by UK Sport.

For the last few years she has been in one of the lowest funding brackets, category C, which has given her an income of between £8,000-£10,000 a year.

Granted, she would have earnt a fair bit with sponsorship deals but with her retired that will dry up. The idea that you enter low-profile sports, incredibly demanding sports "for the money" and then retire at 23 is really rather daft.
    Forum Member
    She was rubbish anyway.

2 golds at the same Olympic games, world record holder, 2 bronzes at the next Olympic games. Yeah, rubbish :rolleyes:

The narrow-mindedness and disrespect displayed here scares me at times :eek:
    Forum Member

As I said in an earlier post, Ian Thorpe retired at 24. He's still regarded as a legend. Rebecca is a British swimming legend, IMO. Of that, there should be no argument.
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Does swimming really pay the same wages as Formula 1 or football? It does seem bizarre :confused:

Unless she's been careful with the sponsorship money and not spent a great deal

She doesn't/didn't get paid to swim, she would just get a grant from UK Sport to cover her not insignificant expenses. Any money she would have made would have come from sponsorship deals, which probably have been quite lucrative but nowhere near the extent of sportspeople from more high profile sports such as Tennis, F1 etc. In all likelyhood she will have to continue to work in some capacity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    It'll look really crap on the CV right? She probably wants to go and have a life but whatever she does those medals will make it easier.

You know I was being sarcastic right? I should have used the :rolleyes: but I hate it! :D