999/666 Park Avenue

goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I watched this American series on ITV 2 on Tuesday night - I didn't expect much of it - it's a bit like a cross between Rosemary's Baby, the Shining and Scooby Do. A young couple have just got the jobs as managers to a creepy apartment block - the acting is good and I enjoyed it. So along with Afterlife which is been shown on Monday nights I finally have something to watch.

Comments

• ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good show. Already been axed in US but apparently it wraps up the story in the last one. :)
  • prince99prince99 Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I've seen the advert and thought it looked good but i missed it as i'm hooked on 'the following' i must watch the repeat tonight
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a decent show going by the first episode. It's a shame it got cancelled. I think though it was on the wrong network in America. It should have been on The CW, it reminded me of Supernatural in parts and the show was also produced by WB. With the ratings it got, it could've been a hit if shown on The CW.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand there is just one series - are there going to be 13 episodes and why was it axed in the U.S?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    I understand there is just one series - are there going to be 13 episodes and why was it axed in the U.S?

Yep, 13 episodes although only 9 episodes have aired in the U.S. It was axed because it didn't connect with the target demographic and lost half it's viewers over it's run and the ratings were low. It was a shame. :(
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Promising start, story is rather generic reminding me of the film 1408 (starring John Cusack and Samuel L Jackson) about a haunted room in a hotel and a sort of glossy version of American Horror Story 1.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, 13 episodes although only 9 episodes have aired in the U.S. It was axed because it didn't connect with the target demographic and lost half it's viewers over it's run and the ratings were low. It was a shame. :(

I hope we get to see all 13 then
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched - didnt think it was as scary as the voice over lady said it was going to be! in fact, I didnt find it scary at all - I am assuming its meant to be a horror - going by the title - 666
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    goldberry1 wrote: »

LOL Give it a few episodes and you'll find out soon enough why it was axed in the US :o:D
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »
    I watched - didnt think it was as scary as the voice over lady said it was going to be! in fact, I didnt find it scary at all - I am assuming its meant to be a horror - going by the title - 666
    Me too, more mysteries....and Sexy with Rachael Taylor & Helena Mattsson {the tease} in it....I loved it.:cool:
    Deep South didn't like the 666 in the title...and the Moms too.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Me too, more mysteries....and Sexy with Rachael Taylor & Helena Mattsson {the tease} in it....I loved it.:cool:

Deep South didn't like the 666 in the title...and the Moms too.:eek:

Lol. :D

Lot's of the sets got damanged as well in Hurricane Sandy.

I'm hoping they show all the episodes and not just the 9 that have aired.
  • Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed this (finally got round to watching it on Sky plus).

Didn't know it had been axed though, typical :rolleyes:
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been axed but they've managed to wrap the show up in the 13 episodes, which I suppose is a good thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was good. Don't think it's right the US cancel shows halfway through their run. Oh well, at least we get to see all thirteen.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it seems shame its been axed they seem to do that all the time now :(
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prince99 wrote: »
    I've seen the advert and thought it looked good but i missed it as i'm hooked on 'the following' i must watch the repeat tonight

The Following is excellent, 666 Park Avenue got sillier and sillier. I think I gave up prior to it being canceled :o:(
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    The Following is excellent, 666 Park Avenue got sillier and sillier. I think I gave up prior to it being canceled :o:(
    Hopefully after or should that be before Alexis wears her Nurses Uniform for the Halloween episode, that was on this week.....for me, I really like this and this weeks was the best.....with the Axe Man from the past...and the Birds returning.:eek:

Still not sure about that Case with the Smoke....and Nona's Mum/Gran, from last week, what's that all about.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it should all make sense next Tuesday - can't wait!!
    Forum Member
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Well it should all make sense next Tuesday - can't wait!!
    Going to miss this....:(

Great episode this week.
    Poor Alexis...:(

But can Cooper get out of the Wall....;)
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Going to miss this....:(

Great episode this week.
    Poor Alexis...:(

But can Cooper get out of the Wall....;)

I suppose I will be in the minority but I really enjoyed this show. Dissapointed that it got axed but hey ho.

I still dont get the whole thing.
    Can anyone give me some answers below?

1. Is Terry O'Quinn the devil?

2. Whats with that staircase? What happens when you go down? There was a guy in the mental house that said he came up it?!

3. Was Whoopi Goldberg a trapped Angel?

4. What happened in the 1930's when those guys sacrificed that girl? Did they summon the devil who now lives in the drake?

5. What was that dragon murial on the floor that opened with "pure blood" and held Terry O'Quinn by the feet?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions. :o
    Forum Member

I suppose I will be in the minority but I really enjoyed this show. Dissapointed that it got axed but hey ho.

2. Whats with that staircase? What happens when you go down? There was a guy in the mental house that said he came up it?!

4. What happened in the 1930's when those guys sacrificed that girl? Did they summon the devil who now lives in the drake?

5. What was that dragon murial on the floor that opened with "pure blood" and held Terry O'Quinn by the feet?

Me too....:D
    If it hadn't been cancelled it might have ALL been explained....but I like the idea we don't.

Gavin I guess is the Devil....the Staircase to Hell....Whoopi, I forgot she was in this....4&5 who knows, who cares....saying that, I still enjoyed this.:cool:

Felt sorry for Louise & Brian behind the Wall.:eek:
    Henry's shooting was....overdue.;)
    Jane's Bath was scary....:D

Loved the ending with the 1 year later Jane.:cool:

And who or what was Nona
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha - evil jane was very sexy :)

The show reminds me about "Lost"....so many questions.

Anyway, time to find a new show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member

Though it was more soap than supernatural I too felt this show was okay to watch.

The ending was clearly hurried in response to the cancellation. They wrapped everything up as quickly as possible, and if you went back and studied all the plot threads closely you'd see inconsistencies that you *could* explain away with some tortuous logic; e.g. why spend all the time and effort manipulating Brian & Louise just to brick them up? You could say Dorna was soul-collecting but it doesn't really stack up.

In answer to the questions, the US is very sensitive when it comes to issues of religion in mainstream media (syndicated TV more than cinema), so it was always going to walk an ambiguous line in terms of God & the Devil. Doran was obviously meant to be a supernatural, evil force. My guess would be a demonic-type rather than Satan himself; his dialogue with Jane at the end suggested that she'd be joining him in the same 'job' - collecting souls.

The staircase is unclear and the writers seemed to use it as multi-purpose portal: a gate to other places and times, maybe to Hell itself. My guess is the writers were flexible about this and used it as a plot tool. Having someone say they came up the stair makes for a powerful sounding idea, but don't forget Jane returned to present day even though she didn't come via the staircase.

Whoopi, you're right. She was a force for good. Whether an actual angel or not is unclear. The show seemed to suggest she was being held in the house beyond her years. So the doves could equally mean that she was a good person and her soul had finally been released to go to heaven.

The sacrifice was explained a couple of episodes back. It gave the guy (whose name I forget) an extended life. He says the Drake was his once. So whatever the source of the power, he was at odds with Doran yet they were both clearly evil and both benefited from the Drake's legacy. I guess the literal answer to this may have been explained more clearly if the writers had had more time. That said...

This show moved at an incredible pace with characters, groups and themes being introduced, then wiped out 1 or 2 episodes later and I often felt that the writers didn't really have a handle on the detail, nor cared so long as the show moved forward. I think that even if the show had a hundred episodes, we'd still be thinking "So what did that mean? Why did that happen?" And I think this was deliberate on the part of the writers. Keep things ambiguous, leave it open to interpretation, don't bog things down with a detailed mythology. The more questions you leave open, the more viewers (in theory) will want to tune in next week.

Oh yeah, the Dragon Mosaic. That was just a form of magic circle. The guy built it, activated it with blood and used it almost like a medieval magician. Same as in the basement.

I actually thought Jane turning bad (giving birth to Damian!) was interesting but ultimately a bit of a slap in the face for viewers.

So no definitive answers, I'm afraid, but these are my thoughts. A good show, not a great show held together by a fine performance from "The Stepfather" himself... shout out to 80's horror fans!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have the same questions!

Very disappointed with the entire series tbh - it could have been sooooooo much better, scarier, creepier than it was

3) yes, I guessed Whoopi was a trapped angel :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though it was more soap than supernatural I too felt this show was okay to watch.

The ending was clearly hurried in response to the cancellation. They wrapped everything up as quickly as possible, and if you went back and studied all the plot threads closely you'd see inconsistencies that you *could* explain away with some tortuous logic; e.g. why spend all the time and effort manipulating Brian & Louise just to brick them up? You could say Dorna was soul-collecting but it doesn't really stack up.

In answer to the questions, the US is very sensitive when it comes to issues of religion in mainstream media (syndicated TV more than cinema), so it was always going to walk an ambiguous line in terms of God & the Devil. Doran was obviously meant to be a supernatural, evil force. My guess would be a demonic-type rather than Satan himself; his dialogue with Jane at the end suggested that she'd be joining him in the same 'job' - collecting souls.

The staircase is unclear and the writers seemed to use it as multi-purpose portal: a gate to other places and times, maybe to Hell itself. My guess is the writers were flexible about this and used it as a plot tool. Having someone say they came up the stair makes for a powerful sounding idea, but don't forget Jane returned to present day even though she didn't come via the staircase.

Whoopi, you're right. She was a force for good. Whether an actual angel or not is unclear. The show seemed to suggest she was being held in the house beyond her years. So the doves could equally mean that she was a good person and her soul had finally been released to go to heaven.

The sacrifice was explained a couple of episodes back. It gave the guy (whose name I forget) an extended life. He says the Drake was his once. So whatever the source of the power, he was at odds with Doran yet they were both clearly evil and both benefited from the Drake's legacy. I guess the literal answer to this may have been explained more clearly if the writers had had more time. That said...

This show moved at an incredible pace with characters, groups and themes being introduced, then wiped out 1 or 2 episodes later and I often felt that the writers didn't really have a handle on the detail, nor cared so long as the show moved forward. I think that even if the show had a hundred episodes, we'd still be thinking "So what did that mean? Why did that happen?" And I think this was deliberate on the part of the writers. Keep things ambiguous, leave it open to interpretation, don't bog things down with a detailed mythology. The more questions you leave open, the more viewers (in theory) will want to tune in next week.

Oh yeah, the Dragon Mosaic. That was just a form of magic circle. The guy built it, activated it with blood and used it almost like a medieval magician. Same as in the basement.

I actually thought Jane turning bad (giving birth to Damian!) was interesting but ultimately a bit of a slap in the face for viewers.

So no definitive answers, I'm afraid, but these are my thoughts. A good show, not a great show held together by a fine performance from "The Stepfather" himself... shout out to 80's horror fans!