Options

First Dates Ch4 Thursday 9pm

Comments

• Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Quite. I'd like to know why some of these women think they're entitled to be so unpleasant to their dates. 'Because I'm worth it!' *hair flick*

I found the Irish woman very off putting, downright unpleasant really.
    Not sure if he really liked her or was just there for the chase, probably the latter.
    As soon as she sat down she started picking at him and not in a pleasant ribbing way, just straight out picking.
    I think he's thick skinned enough to take it and not care, but that's not the point.
    OK he came over as a bit of a prat and was apparently playing footsie under the table later on, but she didn't start it well.
    The gorgeous Nelly - until she opens her mouth, that is - her favourite expression seemed to be 'sh*t the bed' - deeply unattractive ...
    Me neither, have never heard it before. Think she may have said it in her opening gambit to David Walliams lookalike. Possibly a small insight into why such a beautiful girl can't find a decent BF.

Well you've had an education then haven't you.
    Maybe you've been confused with why some people find 'Shut The Front Door' so amusing, well it's the 'clean' version of $hit the bed with an added expletive.
    Phrase has been around a good 20 years at least I'd say.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,899
    Forum Member
    No wonder we have global warming he locked the door and left all the lights on

Left the outside gas burners on too.

Love the humour of the caption writer at the end: "they had some German wine. In Belgium." Have been a couple of really funny ones over the weeks.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Left the outside gas burners on too.

Love the humour of the caption writer at the end: "they had some German wine. In Belgium." Have been a couple of really funny ones over the weeks.

I giggle at the captions and forget them 2 seconds later.

So many dates that didn't make the edit, a longer series and throw in some more of those asides from all the other couples would be nice, feels like a bit of a waste when so many end up on the cutting room floor.

I like to watch this for entertainment 'look up, not down' nice people having a nice time with the occasional giggle, I don't have to like them.
    Kinda part of this program is to 'suffer' people I wouldn't in real life OK their not my 'type', live and let live.

Still don't mind Fred and his asides, just a bit of fluff mostly or the waiting staff getting half time reports.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice final episode which bored me a little with the first two couples but got a bit more interesting towards the end, especially with the lovely Marvin - he was wayyyyy too good for that 40yo looking 25 year old ;). IMO better looking than the so-called Bond-ish model guy, couldn't believe it when I read on this thread that he's supposed to be 32!

Loved the montage bit at the end with the Bond song, it made me feel melancholy to the end of a lovely series. :)
  • Options
    evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    bond guy to me looked like he was well into his early 40's!!
    He did not look 32 much older and were those his real eye colour? They were so blue Sorry to be so fickle.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    He did not look 32 much older and were those his real eye colour? They were so blue Sorry to be so fickle.

I'm sure he was in last night's repeated episode of 'Dinner Date' ?:confused:
    A chef/Gregory.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    fiagomez wrote: »
    bond guy to me looked like he was well into his early 40's!!

He's clearly really let himself go since his modelling days :D
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Bond Man looked better from a distance.

Once you got closer up, he looked like he was in his 40's :)
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Bond Man looked better from a distance.

Once you got closer up, he looked like he was in his 40's :)

There was something quite Neanderthal about his looks. I think some people find that kind of look attractive (but not for me).

Did I hear right that he started one of his first sentences as "I'm an investment broker. I have a client in Palma who I visit, and sit on his yacht." Made me think he was a total douche.

I've moaned about this all series but I wish they'd steer away from the 21 year olds who are looking to find 'the one' but are probably more interested in using it as a reality TV platform and dressed/styled accordingly. Ditto for all those who have decided they want to 'settle down' after bedding 300 women a year, who then proceed to confirm they are looking for someone fun who doesn't want a relationship. I really wish they would only follow people who are looking to find someone properly!

Do they pay the restaurant a lot to be closed for the period of filming - presumably it's over a few weeks? I wonder how much they reimburse them. Then again maybe it's good for business (if people want to visit the same restaurant).
  • Options
    ytsejamytsejam Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    ratty0 wrote: »
    There was something quite Neanderthal about his looks. I think some people find that kind of look attractive (but not for me).

Did I hear right that he started one of his first sentences as "I'm an investment broker. I have a client in Palma who I visit, and sit on his yacht." Made me think he was a total douche.

I've moaned about this all series but I wish they'd steer away from the 21 year olds who are looking to find 'the one' but are probably more interested in using it as a reality TV platform and dressed/styled accordingly. Ditto for all those who have decided they want to 'settle down' after bedding 300 women a year, who then proceed to confirm they are looking for someone fun who doesn't want a relationship. I really wish they would only follow people who are looking to find someone properly!

Do they pay the restaurant a lot to be closed for the period of filming - presumably it's over a few weeks? I wonder how much they reimburse them. Then again maybe it's good for business (if people want to visit the same restaurant).

Agree wholeheartedly with that. far too many "false" people on there now, just after their "15 minutes of fame" rather than looking for a proper relationship. Another gripe I have is that 80%+ of the women on there have been really fit and attractive, whereas in the reality (look on any dating site) 80%+ of the women out there who are single and looking, are NOT!! (same to a degree with the men on there too). It's just not a realistic reflection of the real world. Would much rather see plain and NORMAL Mr and Miss Averages on the show than the preening full of themselves "model types" that seem to appear most of the time. Have watched every episode of each series but I have to say that this series has been by far the least enjoyable and I doubt whether I will bother again in future.
  • Options
    lfipblfipb Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 are doing another dating show by the looks of it.

Hope this doesn't effect first dates....

http://twitter.com/C4DatingShow/status/594193078841430016/photo/1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Bit late to the party but 'James Bond' Joe is never 32- more like 42. He also looks like Baron Greenback: http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/samueljones1/46.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Series Four starting 10th September.
  • Options
    Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if it will be the Maitre D' show again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series Four starting 10th September.

Hurrah!

LOVE this programme..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quick interview with the maître d' in this weeks TV Times (other TV listings are available).

He's a manager of a Michelin-starred restaurant as his day job. The article says he "joined the third series" but wasn't he always in the programme since series one although just having his role elevated and doing pieces to camera in the last series?
  • Options
    lfipblfipb Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay can't wait !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick interview with the maître d' in this weeks TV Times (other TV listings are available).

He's a manager of a Michelin-starred restaurant as his day job. The article says he "joined the third series" but wasn't he always in the programme since series one although just having his role elevated and doing pieces to camera in the last series?

I think you're right, although I missed the first series so perhaps he wasn't in that. He was definitely in series 2 and as you say, in series 3 his role was elevated. I like him but I found his involvement way over the top in series 3 so I hope they tone it down this time. Those pseudo-philosophical pieces to camera drove me mad!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Just to follow this point up I went on to the C4 'All Four' site where they've got all three series available for viewing. I spot checked a few episodes of series 1 and 2 and interestingly Fred Sirieix is nowhere to be seen! So perhaps that interview was correct and he only arrived in series 3. Funny how the memory plays tricks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm interesting. I thought there was always someone to greet them at the door and introduce the two daters together. Perhaps it was someone else. As you say, memory playing tricks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could have sworn he was on series 2 and 3....cant remember series 1 at all! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm interesting. I thought there was always someone to greet them at the door and introduce the two daters together. Perhaps it was someone else. As you say, memory playing tricks.

Yes, there was always someone at the door - in series 1 it was another French guy and series 2 an English guy with glasses.

It was interesting re-watching a few of these earlier episodes. I felt that they flowed much better than series 3 because the waiting staff were more or less invisible and it was all about the daters, who were also more genuine, it seemed to me.

Unfortunately I think the style of series 3 will continue in series 4 and Fred and his staff will be bigging up their parts.

Fred: "Men and women both have two arms and two legs - zey are so similar yet so different. Zey walk and run ze same yet seek love in different ways." (Smiles enigmatically).

I'll still be watching though as I love the interaction between the daters, and we've all been there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Channel 4 website for First Dates is showing an image of the polo-neck jumper guy who I think was in series three alongside the info for series four. If I remember correctly, his date wasn't impressed by the jumper even though he'd just bought it.

Anyway, wonder if he's back for more or if it's just an image they are using.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm, Anna doesn't have much in the way of requirements.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh - we're over here