Move Over Sarah Millican

xflarexflare Posts: 1,768
Forum Member
✭✭✭
.......... another comedian has snatched your crown. Romesh Ranganathan, i'd never seen or heard of him a month or so ago, now he seems to pop up on EVERY single comedy quiz or panel show.:o

Comments

• anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xflare wrote: »
    .......... another comedian has snatched your crown. Romesh Ranganathan, i'd never seen or heard of him a month or so ago, now he seems to pop up on EVERY single comedy quiz or panel show.:o

He was on Channel 4's election night and he was dreadful. Bring back Sarah as fast as possible!
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Professional box ticker
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back Sarah as fast as possible!

Eh? Are you some kind of sadist? Nothing - absolutely NOBODY is worse than Sarah Millican - not even Sharon Osbourne or Lulu!
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've begun to notice this.
    JBO wrote: »
    Professional box ticker

I suspect you're right. Never mind the quality, it's a diversity box ticked off the sheet situation. Remember the dire Stephen K Amos show?
    He was on Channel 4's election night and he was dreadful. Bring back Sarah as fast as possible!

Oh no, even I prefer him to that annoyance!
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Has he got glasses and a beard?
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's awful. I don't know why they had to put him on all three episodes of Jack Dee's Election Helpdesk. I would have enjoyed it a lot more without him.
  • MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why he's on all these shows either. He's just not quick-witted enough, let alone funny enough.

I've regularly seen him clearly stumped for something funny to say, especially after a proper comedian has riffed on something he's said.

He's one of those comedians who thinks that the best way to get a laugh is to swear or tell somebody to f**k off. Now, some comedians are really damn good at that sort of caustic comedy. For others though it's clearly just a sign of their lack of wit. This guy definitely falls into the latter category.,

It's quickly reached the point now where I'm just not interested in watching anything that he appears on.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

He's terrible - he wouldn't even make you laugh if you were on a night out with mates and he was one of them.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish Sarah Millican would mover over.
  • HildasMurielHildasMuriel Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    The bit about 12 minutes in really made me laugh. Cruel but true ☺
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47VAdZBkGSY
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I've seen him do stand up and he was very funny.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a female Canadian comedienne who seems to be everywhere at the moment as well (her name escapes me). She can be funny in small doses but she is becoming a bit ubiquitous
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Was just about to post the same - Katherine Ryan was on a lot of shows recently and was verging on being over-used.
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are Tony Slattery, Josie Lawrence & Greg Proops doing these days, I wonder?
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was on Sunday Brunch too. That's ”quotas” for you
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's pretty funny. It probably is true that he's been appearing on a lot of shows because he's a bit different, but so what? I get sick of seeing the same public school characters on all these shows (obviously I have no idea whether Romesh went to public school or not but even if he did he doesn't exactly fit the mold of your usual Footlights fop)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    simongvs70 wrote: »
    What are Tony Slattery, Josie Lawrence & Greg Proops doing these days, I wonder?

Josie Lawrence and Greg Proops will be taking part in a live version of Whose Line at the end of June

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/may/11/channel-4s-hit-whose-line-is-it-anyway-return-stage-show
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simongvs70 wrote: »
    Verence wrote: »
    Josie Lawrence and Greg Proops will be taking part in a live version of Whose Line at the end of June

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/may/11/channel-4s-hit-whose-line-is-it-anyway-return-stage-show

Also Josie Lawrence is the voice of 'The Brain' on John Craven's new quiz show Beat The Brain which is on weekdays on BBC2 after Eggheads
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Slattery turned into a wackjob, didn't he?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Romesh isn't too bad in small doses. I have commented in other threads though that overexposure could be a hinderance rather than a help in his career.

Sure, he's getting lots of airtime now but if the programme makers catch on that he's slpitting the audience then they might start dropping him.

As somebody mentioned, some of the other comedians that have been overexposed have very successful tours, sometimes stadium tours raking in millions per year.
    Somehow I don't think Romesh, Ryan, Beckett etc. are going to get to that level.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Tony Slattery turned into a wackjob, didn't he?

Wackjob, alternatively known as Bipolar.
    Gawd knows what he did to you, for you come out with wackjob.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Romesh has just appeared on the QI Taping thread, something I was half expecting. They seem to block-book certain people so they appear on Have I Got News For You, The News Quiz, Mock The Week, Graham Norton, QI, etc, all in the same couple of weeks.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Disappointing thread.

I thought it implied someone had driven a pantechnicon over the woman. And perhaps reversed it again, to make sure.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    I'm loving the subtle digs at him being a 'box ticker'. Perhaps producers just think he's funny. After all, how do you explain Katherine Ryan?