Options

Pub chain is forced to pay out £24,000 after banning travellers who wanted a drink

Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
Forum Member
A group of travellers who were banned from a Wetherspoon's pub have been awarded thousands of pounds in compensation after a court ruled that the chain racially discriminated against them.

Gipsies who were attending a conference of travellers in north London tried to have a drink in the Coronet on Holloway Road, but were denied entry.

Today a judge ruled that the delegates - who include a police inspector, a priest and a solicitor - were the victims of discrimination because they were barred solely on the grounds of their race.

JD Wetherspoon, the company behind the chain of budget pubs, could face a £1million legal bill over the incident, which took place after the annual meeting of the Irish Traveller Movement in Britain in November 2011.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3086374/Wetherspoon-s-pays-thousands-racial-discrimination-against-gipsies.html#ixzz3aVQZSswu
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Rightly so!

Comments

• Options
    robert_paperobert_pape Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    They should have let them in. Gypsy's never cause any trouble.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Precisely this. They're a peaceful and law abiding group of people.
  • Options
    porky42porky42 Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only they had banned anyone who had been at the "conference" there would have been no issue.
  • Options
    Herbet_JamesHerbet_James Posts: 331
    Forum Member

No more trouble than any other group, they do get picked on I feel. Like if they leave site and the amount of rubbish is often used against them. Its no more rubbish than you'll see walking round the average estate anyway.

An quite often its bagged and left in the center of the site for collection.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i had travellers [that i didn`t know] in my bar often and never ever had trouble, i`ve been out drinking with travellers many, many times and people give you hassle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would take a wild stab that they didn't know they were banning a police inspector and a solicitor. Serves them right that it rebounded on them.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    On a point of clarification - If 'travellers' are defined as a race then Ive learnt something new.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    On a point of clarification - If 'travellers' are defined as a race then Ive learnt something new.

You could change race by becoming a traveller, if you so wished.

I don't think such a move is precluded by any DNA check on ethnicity. Not sure what they'd be looking for anyway.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would take a wild stab that they didn't know they were banning a police inspector and a solicitor. Serves them right that it rebounded on them.
    Lucky for them the police inspector and solicitor was there. Two completely independent witnesses with one being a senior rank police officer. Can't get much better than that!
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This just in from a planet on the far side of the Moon.

No more trouble than any other group, they do get picked on I feel. Like if they leave site and the amount of rubbish is often used against them. Its no more rubbish than you'll see walking round the average estate anyway.

An quite often its bagged and left in the center of the site for collection.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good decision.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite.

They never indulge in criminal activity of any kind. They earn their money tarmaccing driveways expertly at a very fair price. They pay their taxes, make sure that their children attend school, always abide by planning regulations, do not organise illegal dog fights, keep slaves in sheds, or encourage their boy children to indulge in bare-knuckle boxing from an early age.

Really chaps, what's not to love?
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today a judge ruled that the delegates - who include a police inspector, a priest and a solicitor - were the victims of discrimination because they were barred solely on the grounds of their race.

If these people faced illegal discrimination because they were travellers, and hence belonged to a protected group - could someone please explain how travellers qualify for these professions?
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    If these people faced illegal discrimination because they were travellers, and hence belonged to a protected group - could someone please explain how travellers qualify for these professions?

Perhaps they were there to speak at the conference in their professional capacity. Often conferences have external speakers.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    i had travellers [that i didn`t know] in my bar often and never ever had trouble, i`ve been out drinking with travellers many, many times and people give you hassle.

I've met travellers and they were nice friendly people. :) A couple even bought me lunch once and they didnt know me :)
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more shocked that there is still a pub open that can afford to turn ANYONE away.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I note that 10 of the group 'tried it on' and claimed for compo even though it was found they weren't actually trying to get into the pub.

Crap like that needs to really be dealt with
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    A couple even bought me lunch once and they didnt know me :)
    I'm sure that if they had taken the time to get to know you they would have refused to buy you anything.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Travellers used to be well respected around here in Cornwall. They were a valuable source of temporary labour on the farms.
    These days however I'm afraid their negative reputation is largely well deserved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I've met travellers and they were nice friendly people. :) A couple even bought me lunch once and they didnt know me :)

i don`t know a traveller who wouldn`t give you the shirt off his back, i learnt a lot about being unselfish from travelling folk.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I don't know what the world's coming to. There was a time when they would have just turned the place over for barring them all.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don`t know a traveller who wouldn`t give you the shirt off his back, i learnt a lot about being unselfish from travelling folk.

Sadly, all mine and my families experience of travellers have been nothing but negative. Takes all sorts I suppose, and we have only come across the bad sort.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really?

You must have nice travellers where you are, my experience with them is the complete opposite, and the reputation they get is well deserved.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Really?

You must have nice travellers where you are, my experience with them is the complete opposite, and the reputation they get is well deserved.

I once worked with a 'traveller' in a factory and as a thick, thuggish, bullying scumbag he really lived up to the stereotype.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Really?

yes really.

best neighbours too, i used to get hampers every bank holiday from next door but one, when they lived there, always with a little bit of dope chucked in from the old man, their families and extended families from all over were in and out of my house for years.

the now widow of the family has been to gaza and afghanistan doing missionary work. she`s one of the biggest hearted and least judgemental people i know and her life has been really, really hard.