How often do you do Windows Updates?

I do it once a week, also run a disc defrag weekly too

I don't set them to automatic, do them manually

Comments

• Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are generally scheduled monthly, so in not sure what you mean by weekly. Why not allow auto update?
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    They are generally scheduled monthly, so in not sure what you mean by weekly. Why not allow auto update?

I don't like auto update because feels it slows down my computer
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've recently changed mine to manual and they seem to prompt me to do it every Wednesday.......

Just had a prompt this morning and see that there's just 1 important update so I'll do that shortly

I went to manual because I was fed up of having to interrupt working to allow for the machine to install and configure which might take an hour ...........at least now I can choose when that happens, ie when I've finished work
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still using XP, so there are no updates
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Automatic, but on Windows 7 when I go to shut down at night, if the start button notification tells me there are updates waiting to be installed on shutdown, I have a quick view before shitting down (gives me a last chance to back out if I need to, e.g., if I'd previously heard abut a problem with an update, but I usually don't).
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I am still using XP, so there are no updates

Windows 8.1 is 10x better!
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    I'll check manually once or twice a day to see if there are any Windows updates - picked up one important and several recommended ones today. I can then decide whether and when I want to install them.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not just set Windows Updates to notify you of available updates but let you chose when and what to install? That's what I do (Win 8.1).

Saves all the hassle of manually checking and all you get is a little pop-up notification (or a message in the boot up screen) saying an update has been found. Seems like the best compromise as in theory you shouldn't miss any important out of the normal schedule updates, (through forgetting to check manually), but still have control of whether you install them or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like auto update because feels it slows down my computer
    hmm, sounds really objective. How did you measure this?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Why not just set Windows Updates to notify you of available updates but let you chose when and what to install? That's what I do (Win 8.1).

Saves all the hassle of manually checking and all you get is a little pop-up notification (or a message in the boot up screen) saying an update has been found. Seems like the best compromise as in theory you shouldn't miss any important out of the normal schedule updates, (through forgetting to check manually), but still have control of whether you install them or not.

that's what I do.......

it downloads them as and when they are available then it's up to you when you do the installing and configuring..........you get a message when logging in that there are updates waiting
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »

I'm on W7 and the main updates are on the 2nd Tuesday of every month - usually available around 6pm in the UK.

I have 6 pc's that I use for 3D renders, so I have updates on manual (can't risk restarts when a job's running). I update all my machines (plus various VMs) when it suits me.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do them whenever I feel like them. I haven't ran Windows Update for a while, so there might be a lot of data to download when I get around to it.
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    On all Windows version I disable auto updates & usually check each month on Patch Tuesday, I don't take all the optional ones like the Windows 10 adware patch KB 3035583 or the diagnostics tracking service patch KB3022345 & pick & choose which ones I install.

Due to the lack or vague info that MS seems to now give on some of these updates I always check the support page before installing them. The do seem to be firing out more & more out of band updates that are not part of the Patch Tuesday ones.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surly it is a good thing to have updates outside of patch Tuesday?
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, if you don't go for auto-updates that would seem to be the most sensible thing to do.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member

Yes that's what I do although probably didn't describe it very well. It is set to notify when updates are available so I just need to go to the Windows Updates item in the Control Panel a couple of times a day and see if there's any updates being offered.

Except for Patch Tuesday when I'll manually check for updates around 6pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    I have 6 pc's that I use for 3D renders, so I have updates on manual (can't risk restarts when a job's running). I update all my machines (plus various VMs) when it suits me.
    Yes, you are in a different league to the OP.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    How often do you do Windows Updates?

As and when they come down which is usually once a month. That said, I get notified that the updates are ready and then do a manual update a few days later because Microsoft have a habit of throwing in one or two lemon updates now and again so it's best not to install them.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Automatic, but on Windows 7 when I go to shut down at night, if the start button notification tells me there are updates waiting to be installed on shutdown, I have a quick view before shitting down (gives me a last chance to back out if I need to, e.g., if I'd previously heard abut a problem with an update, but I usually don't).

Sorry, but that typo made me laugh out loud :D
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wait until the hand written letter arrives from Bill Gates telling me it is time to patch Windows. This one time he did not put enough stamps on on the letter so I had to go to the post office to pay it. They charged me 1.26 even tho the stamp was only 26p short. I wrote him a letter back to complain and to be fair he sent cheque back for 1.26.

Mind you this automatic update thing sure sounds good. It was save old bill a stamp each month.
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never!
  • Options
    henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Never as I mainly use Linux Mint. At work it seems to be everyday automatically. Very frustrating and slow.
  • Options
    SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8.1 is 10x better!

I realise youre yanking the chain, but its not really. I use old software that wont run well on 7 or 8.1, and the harware doesnt have drivers. Its heavenly to not have to restart the pc or be nagged to do it, and the pc runs for days endlessly. I hear those who say 'one day you'll regret' but theres nothing vital, financial or essential on it, I have other pc's running different OS's, and its not happened yet, and never did with my copy of Windows 2k which I still have. So as long as XP is stable and the pc is reliable I will go on using it until something goes pop, which could be quite a few years of no nagging updates.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise youre yanking the chain, but its not really. I use old software that wont run well on 7 or 8.1, and the harware doesnt have drivers. Its heavenly to not have to restart the pc or be nagged to do it, and the pc runs for days endlessly. I hear those who say 'one day you'll regret' but theres nothing vital, financial or essential on it, I have other pc's running different OS's, and its not happened yet, and never did with my copy of Windows 2k which I still have. So as long as XP is stable and the pc is reliable I will go on using it until something goes pop, which could be quite a few years of no nagging updates.

Those "nagging updates" will include security updates. Goodness knows what's been compromised if you're using XP online.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I carry out the updates at the time of my choosing and only ever select the ones that are deemed essential. If an update fails I simply hide it.