Options

Got knocked off my bike by a lorry

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
Forum Member
This morning while cycling in I was overtaken by a large lorry but the road was not wide enough and when it was level with me it bumped my shoulder and pushed me against the curb. It was not stopping so I tipped myself off against the verge and waited for it to pass. Whilst it slowed up it never stopped, nor did the cars behind. Par for the course I suppose.

Now here is the question. It is parked just up the road - should I go and have words with the driver or would that just be pedantic? What would you do?

I'm not hurt, just shaken up.

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    This morning while cycling in I was overtaken by a large lorry but the road was not wide enough and when it was level with me it bumped my shoulder and pushed me against the curb. It was not stopping so I tipped myself off against the verge and waited for it to pass. Whilst it slowed up it never stopped, nor did the cars behind. Par for the course I suppose.

Now here is the question. It is parked just up the road - should I go and have words with the driver or would that just be pedantic? What would you do?

i would.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now here is the question. It is parked just up the road - should I go and have words with the driver or would that just be pedantic?

Depends what you'd want to achieve by it really.

Do you want to just have a go at him? Are you hoping for an apology?

Personally, experience has taught me that this sort of thing isn't worth it unless there has been some damage/injury. You never know who you're about to be dealing with. You could simply get a mouthful of abuse back. Or it could be much worse. It's your decision whether it's worth it really.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would.

To what end ?

Whether or not at fault, it's almost a certainty that a driver - especially one who does it for a living - will stand there and argue until blue in the face that he did nothing wrong. Short of reporting the incident (he said/she said) for dangerous driving, the 'having a word' approach whilst understandable a sentiment, is likely to yield no results - though offer up the potential for a confrontation where matters just escalate.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member

From your description you were badly treated by the lorry, but on the general attitude of many cyclists (not you) the lycra clad brigade appear to have but one purpose, to speed in and out of heavy traffic at maximum possible speed.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is probably a reason it parked up the road.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is probably a reason it parked up the road.

That it reached it's final destination? :confused:
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why you were hoping others would stop if you stepped off the bike yourself. Had you been knocked off it and fallen to the ground then yes someone should have stopped. But deciding to get out of the situation meant you were OK. A wise move too.

I'd perhaps have words with the company the person works for rather than the person. That might get more of a response.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Nice victim blaming there. I'm surprised you didn't ask him what he was wearing.😊
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd take his registration number and write to the firm that employs him - and report it to the police of course.

Dangerous driving shouldn't just be ignored.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    To what end ?

Whether or not at fault, it's almost a certainty that a driver - especially one who does it for a living - will stand there and argue until blue in the face that he did nothing wrong. Short of reporting the incident (he said/she said) for dangerous driving, the 'having a word' approach whilst understandable a sentiment, is likely to yield no results - though offer up the potential for a confrontation where matters just escalate.

to inform him of what just occurred.

i would, you wouldn`t, thanks for sharing your reasons.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd take his registration number and write to the firm that employs him - and report it to the police of course.

The route I'd probably take. I wouldn't like a face to face confrontation.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Depends what you'd want to achieve by it really.

Do you want to just have a go at him? Are you hoping for an apology?

Personally, experience has taught me that this sort of thing isn't worth it unless there has been some damage/injury. You never know who you're about to be dealing with. You could simply get a mouthful of abuse back. Or it could be much worse. It's your decision whether it's worth it really.

That's my concern - and I'm not one for confrontation as I never initiate it. I know he was aware of what he did as he slowed down, however he really put me in danger and that upset me. I have decided to leave it and hope that he will perhaps be a bit more careful in future.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have let him know that he knocked you - not to be confrontational if that's possible but for the sake of other cyclists. This could have turned out a lot worse.
    Regardless of any 'bluff and bluster' you get back, it might make him a little more careful next time he encounters a cyclist.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to inform him of what just occurred.

i would, you wouldn`t, thanks for sharing your reasons.

OK...:blush:

EDIT : Thanks for not being acerbic.
  • Options
    *animasana**animasana* Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Glad you're okay.

I think I'd want to let the driver know what happened. You were lucky, but if he does the same thing again to another cyclist the outcome could be much worse.

If it's possible, how about taking someone with you when you go and speak to the driver? That way if he gets stroppy with you, you'd have a witness, and things are far less likely to escalate.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some years ago a similar thing happened to me, a lorry overtook me and knocked me off my motorbike and damaged the front wheel, but it didn't stop. Some passersby stopped to help me lift up the bike and move it, it wouldn't wheel with a squashed wheel. I went to the police station to report it , they asked me if I got his number and I said yes and gave them the lorries number plate which had come off. But I never heard from them again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member

Discuss it politely is best, Police are generally not that intersted
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I cycle daily in London and if it happened to me would no doubt go and say something.
  • Options
    quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMgosh OP - how awful for you. I do hope that you are okay.

I cycle to work too and it sounds to me like it was only your experience and quick thinking that stopped this from being worse - i.e you leaning the bike off the road onto the kerb so he could get past. Perhaps a less experienced cyclist would have ended up under the wheels?

I would have a word with him - if for no other reason than as an earlier post said - it might make him reaslise next time that he needs to give cyclists more room.

Please don't take any notice of the person above who started on about how other cyclists are lycra louts or whatever - that incident would have terrified me! :(
  • Options
    KleistKleist Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Report it to Plod in writing.

There is a culture of slackness in road transport, quite a number driving illegally without proper licences, and the employer not being bothered.

By making a little effort you might stop this happening to someone else.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/killer-hgv-driver-barry-meyer-who-mowed-down-alan-neve-jailed-for-three-and-a-half-years-10250978.html?fb_action_ids=10153790300234692&fb_action_types=og.shares
  • Options
    Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Get yourself a GoPro or something similar. I imagine being knocked off your bike, but with little evidence to the fact would be quite traumatic, leaving you unable to accurately remember the incident or take down registration numbers.

If you do have the driver or companies details, I would send them an email, but likely without corroborating evidence it is likely as not to do no real good.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    As you were close to being killed due to another's inattention, I'd report it to the police. The driver may be one of those morons who thinks it's an exciting game to see how close he can get to a cyclist, or he may be a complete dimwit who has previous with this sort of behaviour and others have also reported it. Whether the police do anything about one or a dozen reports of the same bloke's dangerous driving is for them to decide, but at the very least, give them the information they need to arrive at that decision.

I'd also talk directly to the driver to gauge his attitude. Assuming he's not an owner/driver, you can then raise it with his management who might also notice a pattern.

Agree about ignoring the pointless bit of stereotyping in the earlier reply.
  • Options
    CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw some pretty nonchalant and abysmal driving myself this morning, not only by motor vehicles, but cyclists and pedestrians alike. Not sure what they were trying to achieve other than get run over and just cause a general pain in the arse.

Tbh OP, you don't sound like the sort of person who could have words with a lorry driver. Far too genteel
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the OP has a near death experience and the first thing he does whilst still at the scene is fire up his phone and start a thread on DS, ye right.

Another sad attempt by the cycling propagandists to paint themselves as a downtroden persecuted minority .
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Another sad attempt by the cycling propagandists to paint themselves as a downtroden persecuted minority .
    Yawn.

And we're off. Road tax? Helmets? Oooh don't forget lycra-nazis or whatever the term is.

:(
This discussion has been closed.