Explain the Russia Song?

MadeInHarryMadeInHarry Posts: 825
Forum Member
✭✭
Okay I completely understand the song is about peace (ok Russia) but why are there loads of rainbow flags and people mentioning about gay people.. I understand the rainbow flags links to homosexuals is the song supporting gay rights or are people trying to get Russia to understand gayrights and make it aware.

Comments

• EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The flags were a peaceful protest. Last year there was a large amount of booing in the arena. If there was any last night, it was drowned out by fake cheering or replaced by a more peaceful method (the flags). The booing of last year no doubt linked to Crimea and its crisis but gay rights do have a part in it. Russia isn't exactly the most accepting.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i did like it.. but sing it out, it only lasted 24 hours
  • Shar_dsShar_ds Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a moment of paranoia earlier, I wondered whether the song was a coded reference to the voices of the ethnic Russians in Ukraine's eastern provinces...
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shar_ds wrote: »
    In a moment of paranoia earlier, I wondered whether the song was a coded reference to the voices of the ethnic Russians in Ukraine's eastern provinces...

is the song co-written with swedish writers?

i think they were tapping into 'frozen' rather than ethnicism..

it's the same team that wrote russia's 2013 entry and perhaps that's why it comes across as a reprise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4akAGsiVm4
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay I completely understand the song is about peace (ok Russia) but why are there loads of rainbow flags and people mentioning about gay people.. I understand the rainbow flags links to homosexuals is the song supporting gay rights or are people trying to get Russia to understand gayrights and make it aware.
    Yeah, it's just that "peace" and Russia don't really go together at the time being... Such hypocrisy.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Different yet we're the same"

How Russia sees Ukranians. Think about how soldiers from both sides were reluctant to attack each other after Russia invaded Crimea.

"Praying for peace and healing
    I hope we can start again"

Basicallya desire to normalise
    relationships with Western countries.

"You won't be lonely anymore"

Russia hears the calls of Russian nationalists in neighbouring countries. This could also refer to the isolation of Crimea, which has been abandoned by major global brands.

"Now as the world is listening
    From cities and satellites
    We believe
    We believe
    In a dream"

The dream is for neighbouring states to be satellites of Russia again. Like last year, the propaganda is most blatant in the second verse.

"When I look around at these faces
    I can see the stars in the sky
    We will sing
    We will shine"

The faces are those of Russians in neighbouring countries. They will shine under Russia. Russia will feel a sense of glory when neighbouring states have returned to its sphere of influence.
  • si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a very cynical entry - trying to pretend that Russia is all peace and love when we know it is far from it.

Personally, I would be seeking to exclude Russia from all sporting and cultural events until they start behaving like a country that values human life and freedom. But then I am old-fashioned!

We should not give dictators a chance to strut their stuff on the global stage. I know that deprives the Russian people of a chance to reach out - but perhaps if they fought for change at home, things might actually improve.

If this song had come from almost any other country, it would be a potential winner. But, for me, it is a cynical attempt to cover up for the failings of the Putin regime. And for that, it does not deserve a single point. It will, of course, get lots - and coming so far down the running order for Saturday, it might even win.
  • Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's what Children of the Universe would have been if Molly had filled it with clichés.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spain entered while they were under fascist rule, and that was long beffore my time, so I don't know if they ever used their entries to spread propaganda. Belarus doesn't, it's just Russia. I think that is because of historical Cold War competition between Russia and the US.
  • MavisConsuelaMavisConsuela Posts: 1,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why Polina's song and performance is a cynical anything. It's a song contest, and this is one of if not the best song. Don't get me wrong, this is hardly a vintage year, but the best song really should win - wherever it's from.
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Spain entered while they were under fascist rule, and that was long beffore my time, so I don't know if they ever used their entries to spread propaganda. Belarus doesn't, it's just Russia. I think that is because of historical Cold War competition between Russia and the US.

Except maybe in 2011 ;-)