2»

Comments

• U SmileU Smile Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Gutted. Loved Goldie. :(
  • phizzlephizzle Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't bear the "novelty" acts; for me, it should still be a singing competition. If they want to audition, that's fine, but putting people who can't sing through to the judges' houses or live shows is just a joke.

Going on past years, I was absolutely sure Kendro were going to be put through this year.

Still, good on Goldie for recognising that the show wanted to make a laughing stock out of her, and having the sense to withdraw.

It's nice to see someone stick to their principles—she's going to forfeit a fair amount of income because in all likelihood she would have made it far enough to be invited on the tour.

That's real credibility, as opposed to someone like Matt Cardle, supporting the RATM campaign against Joe, then going on the show and warbling his way through a series of cheesy covers, then hitting the promo circuit for his first album with talk of escaping from the X Factor connection—at the same time he's releasing a Gary Barlow song as a single.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't bear the "novelty" acts; for me, it should still be a singing competition. If they want to audition, that's fine, but putting people who can't sing through to the judges' houses or live shows is just a joke.

Going on past years, I was absolutely sure Kendro were going to be put through this year.

Still, good on Goldie for recognising that the show wanted to make a laughing stock out of her, and having the sense to withdraw.

It's TV gold. People remember Wagner more than Nicolo Festa. People remember Jedward more than Ricky Looney. That's publicity from the show that they wouldn't have gotten from putting in another boring cannon fodder. At least novelty act cannon fodder has entertainment value.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phizzle wrote: »
    It's nice to see someone stick to their principles—she's going to forfeit a fair amount of income because in all likelihood she would have made it far enough to be invited on the tour.

That's real credibility, as opposed to someone like Matt Cardle, supporting the RATM campaign against Joe, then going on the show and warbling his way through a series of cheesy covers, then hitting the promo circuit for his first album with talk of escaping from the X Factor connection—at the same time he's releasing a Gary Barlow song as a single.

Matt is a complete idiot. He needs to learn how to keep his mouth shut. If he can't say anything other than, "I'm grateful for this wonderful opportunity given to me by being on the X-Factor. I made some wonderful friends, and the mentors were the best ever." then he should zip it. If he becomes famous, then he can blast them. But right now, he is a nada, zilch, zero. Poor deluded thing thinks he's a star already or something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phizzle wrote: »

True, and it also says a lot for Goldie's common sense and state of mind; she's obviously...er...*extrovert* but she's clearly got good support from her family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benami311 wrote: »
    It's TV gold. People remember Wagner more than Nicolo Festa. People remember Jedward more than Ricky Looney. That's publicity from the show that they wouldn't have gotten from putting in another boring cannon fodder. At least novelty act cannon fodder has entertainment value.

Yes, you're spot on; people do remember Jedward and Wagner. It's entertaining for sure, but when good singers start to get voted off and the joke acts outstay their welcome, it does rile me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you're spot on; people do remember Jedward and Wagner. It's entertaining for sure, but when good singers start to get voted off and the joke acts outstay their welcome, it does rile me.

The show has alot of cannon fodder, despite the popularity with FMs.

Simon had it right when he voted against Lucy in favor of Jedward. He flat out told her that he was never going to win, so it didn't matter. She wasn't one of the chosen ones, and she wasn't considered one of the darkhorses. It was Joe, Stacey and Danyl as The Chosen, and Olly as The Darkhorse. Everyone else was expendable.

Last season, The Chosen were Matt, Cher, 1D and Rebecca. Mary was The Darkhorse. Everyone else was expendable. So the fact that Wagner outlasted TreyC, who was a far better singer, was insignificant because it's not like TreyC was ever going to win.

The day that a Wagner or Jedward knocks someone like Leona Lewis out of the competition is the day that there will be an uproar, and I'm sure the producers will do their best to mitigate such a disaster. But outlasting someone like Aiden? It makes for good television without really affecting the outcome.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benami311 wrote: »
    The show has alot of cannon fodder, despite the popularity with FMs.

Simon had it right when he voted against Lucy in favor of Jedward. He flat out told her that he was never going to win, so it didn't matter. She wasn't one of the chosen ones, and she wasn't considered one of the darkhorses. It was Joe, Stacey and Danyl as The Chosen, and Olly as The Darkhorse. Everyone else was expendable.

Last season, The Chosen were Matt, Cher, 1D and Rebecca. Mary was The Darkhorse. Everyone else was expendable. So the fact that Wagner outlasted TreyC, who was a far better singer, was insignificant because it's not like TreyC was ever going to win.

The day that a Wagner or Jedward knocks someone like Leona Lewis out of the competition is the day that there will be an uproar, and I'm sure the producers will do their best to mitigate such a disaster. But outlasting someone like Aiden? It makes for good television without really affecting the outcome.

The trouble is though, for those good singers who aren't the "chosen ones", all they can hope for is to stay on the show long enough, and to have good enough songs chosen for them, so that they maximise their visibility to other labels or agents.

Luckily for Lucie, it obviously worked because she moved across into Musical Theatre. I agree that the joke acts sometimes replace pretty mediocre singers, but when they hang in there long enough to replace really pretty decent singers, then it's unfair to the good singers - and they end up outstaying their welcome. Jedward have been unusually lucky, but for people like Wagner and Chico, it hasn't done them any good in the long term.

Mind you, I don't know why it surprises me; it lost all credibility years ago. Perhaps "The Voice" will be a pleasant surprise in terms of actually being a singing competition, and then I can just enjoy X Factor for what it is - car crash TV. :)
  • ParnebParneb Posts: 5,676
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    There's only one thing for it now; they'll have to bring Wagner back.

Grief, no, he was a total prat and worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parneb wrote: »
    Grief, no, he was a total prat and worse.

:eek::eek::eek: And if they brought Wagner back, they'd have to bring back the overtly sexy dance routines!

Mind you, we would at least get to see Harry Hill and his "WAGBO!" sketch again. That was funny. :D
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    C1992 wrote: »
    Goldie made me laugh out loud everytime.

That's not the reaction she would have been hoping for.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    I think Goldie's a very clever lady and she's probably had this in mind from the start (certainly since she passed the audition stage). She truly has had 'one over' on the program makers. She's had more than her 15 minutes of fame and come out a step ahead of the game. Lets face it - no-one from the 'overs' category is going to get near to winning this show - and it would be nice if all the others in this category did the same as her and 'walked'. I don't think its an option for some however - as I think they all need the money more than Goldie did.

Nice lady and I'm really, really pleased that she's done what she has done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is though, for those good singers who aren't the "chosen ones", all they can hope for is to stay on the show long enough, and to have good enough songs chosen for them, so that they maximise their visibility to other labels or agents.

Luckily for Lucie, it obviously worked because she moved across into Musical Theatre. I agree that the joke acts sometimes replace pretty mediocre singers, but when they hang in there long enough to replace really pretty decent singers, then it's unfair to the good singers - and they end up outstaying their welcome. Jedward have been unusually lucky, but for people like Wagner and Chico, it hasn't done them any good in the long term.

Mind you, I don't know why it surprises me; it lost all credibility years ago. Perhaps "The Voice" will be a pleasant surprise in terms of actually being a singing competition, and then I can just enjoy X Factor for what it is - car crash TV. :)

That's just it. The show isn't concerned with getting you good songs and visibility...unless they benefit from it. So unless you are a seen as a) a chosen one b) a darkhorse c) a wildcard or d) a novelty act, then they really don't care what happens to you. Mediocre singer, decent singer...it's all the same. They have no use for you.

Jedward may have been more successful than Wagner, but Wagner 2010 is more successful than Wagner 2009...so it's all relative.

I don't think anyone looks at XF or AI anytime after about S1 or 2 and expects "credibility". They emphasize so many bad auditions and other antics that it's clearly an entertainment show first, and if they can get a decent singer out of it...even better. Don't get your hopes up for The Voice. It' isn't any better. In fact, I found it rather boring. The novelty runs out once the judges see who they pick. Then the whittle it down based on marketability. The finalists for The Voice looked no different from the finalists for a typical AI or XF season. They were mostly a good looking lot.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She seemed like a nice enough person but I stopped finding her act stopped funny before she'd even finished her audition.

Me too!
  • DanielWhitDanielWhit Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aduk wrote: »
    At least Goldie has had the common sense to realise the X Factor was using her as a 'joke act'. Contestants have got to understand they are setting themselves up for ridicule by placing themselves into the public domain. It would have just been another Wagner or Jedward and reports of her leaving the show for personal reasons seem untrue.

Jedward's doing alright for themselves... Eurovision... Celebrity Big Brother... hmmm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my favourite series was 2008 with Alexandra, JLS and Diana Vickers; and that was the last year without a joke act, so maybe that is a good sign for this series. (Of course we do have the hate act, but she can sing atleast).
  • KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her bootcamp performance is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Her orgasming to Feeling Good, oh my days...
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Ofcom would have had a meltdown if she was still in the show :eek: :p