Bizarre Soap Coincidences

BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
Forum Member
This is when soap storylines and real events mirror each other or have similarities whilst not intending to.

The first example is a weird one.

In the final week of August 1997, EastEnders broadcast a special week of episodes in Paris - with characters Phil and Kathy, Grant and Tiffany, and Ricky and Bianca. As we all know, Diana, who married into the Royal family, was killed in a car crash at the end of that very week in Paris.

In the show, Kathy and Tiffany, who both married into the Mitchell family - would meet their demise due to car accidents.

Comments

• ned flandersned flanders Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two babies in CS and EE are named after Shades of red: Ruby and Scarlett! :)
  • agatha_crispiesagatha_crispies Posts: 31,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Barlow had an affair with that woman on a narrowboat the exact same week I went to Monmouthshire on a narrowboat holiday :o
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Ugh. My friend went into premature labour the day Janine from EastEnders went into premature labour. But my friend lost her twins, sadly.
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Peacocks/Casey abduction storyline and Maddy McGann.
    Tony Gordon and the Cumbria shootings.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Peacocks/Casey abduction storyline and Maddy McGann.

Another storyline which coincided with Madeleine McCann's disappearance was May plotting to steal Dawn's baby in Eastenders.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Barlow body in the river was cut due to an incident like it in RL.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On EE one night, people were eating in the caff at the exact same time I was eating my tea!

Also, in a recent episode of Corrie, Steve McDonald was driving his taxi - on the very same day I'd driven my car too!!

My final amazing coincidence - on Emmy, Debbie Dingle always has a face on her the stroppy mare - just like my missus seems to!!!

:);)
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to do with a storyline and not really a coincidence either, more of a pun but has anyone else noticed the songs they sometimes play on EE in the background? They coincide with whats going on in the scene or S/L.

For example, I remember in the episode where the Vic burnt down, before it happened Sophie Ellis Bextor "Murder on the Dance Floor" was playing in the cafe, which has the words "Gunna burn this god damn house right down"

This obviously might of just been a coincidence, but I've noticed it alot in other scenes too ^.^
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to do with a storyline and not really a coincidence either, more of a pun but has anyone else noticed the songs they sometimes play on EE in the background? They coincide with whats going on in the scene or S/L.

For example, I remember in the episode where the Vic burnt down, before it happened Sophie Ellis Bextor "Murder on the Dance Floor" was playing in the cafe, which has the words "Gunna burn this god damn house right down"

This obviously might of just been a coincidence, but I've noticed it alot in other scenes too ^.^

Yes me and my friend have noticed this too. Just the other day when Kat was trying to hide the affair, Alfie was looking at her and 'if you don't love me by now' was playing. Have noticed it many other times too.
  • Telly_FanTelly_Fan Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I realised on Sunday that the two new babies in EE are Scarlet and Lexi - who are sisters in Emmerdale!!
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Yes me and my friend have noticed this too. Just the other day when Kat was trying to hide the affair, Alfie was looking at her and 'if you don't love me by now' was playing. Have noticed it many other times too.

They're not the only show that does that either: it's used in films too. It's when the score foreshadows the story.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was once watching Eastenders and Tommy Moon was wearing a near identical top to the one I had on! :o
  • wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sally Webster discovered she had breast cancer in Corrie. And the actress discovered that she had breast cancer in real life too.
  • BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I was once watching Eastenders and Tommy Moon was wearing a near identical top to the one I had on! :o

Dodger from Hollyoaks and I are nearly ALWAYS wearing the same clothes. When he is wearing clothes, that is.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,276
    Forum Member
    wavlovr wrote: »
    Sally Webster discovered she had breast cancer in Corrie. And the actress discovered that she had breast cancer in real life too.

She's not the only corrie actress to have a near miss with cancer, a viewer spotted Sue Nicholls had cancer too and so contacted the show and told them to get her checked out.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching a particularly dull scene in 'Emmerdale' recently, and I suddenly noticed I was wearing the same shirt as Paddy...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    My auntie was well pleased when she bought a new top. Jean from EastEnders had the exact same one, my auntie's went in the bin lol!