Borgen series 2 - Danish political drama Saturdays BBC4 - no spoilers allowed. Tak

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Absolutely blown away by this episode..someone knows what they are doing.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,118
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    Ohhhh! I'm in tears!! Karsten!

I was too :cry: and I had nearly given up on this episode. I can't get as interested as the first series as the endgame then was her becoming prime minister but there's no endgame that I can see apart from maybe her losing office, but that's not the same.
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloe_26 wrote: »
    Poor Kasper, I cried at the end :cry:

Me too - and I'm a bloke!
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I was in floods of tears the end of that episode.
    This has to be the BEST show on TV. It was all done so subtly. What an amazing performance by Kasper, and at the end with Katrine, I felt like my heart was ripped out.
    I think what I love the best about this show is that it credits the audience with some intelligence. Nothing is overly laboured or pushed home.
    And the characters are just first class. Cannot wait for next week, I really look forward to this two hours of first class TV every week.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    OffTheCuff wrote: »
    That was deep! Kasper, that is an Oscar winning portrayal of a scarred soul.

It really was, what an actor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    To the person who was asking what's following Borgen: well, it's Spiral, Series 4.

Saw the first episode of Series 4 premiered at the Cine Lumiere last night introduced by Gregory Fitoussi and there's nothing to worry about, well up to usual standard - won't say anything more except make sure you have your dinner early.

Back to tonight - what a pair of episodes. I'd drifted away from Borgen but the last 4 episodes have brought me back. Superb stuff. Got Kasper's pain over without the histrionics you'd get in a typical UK drama.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »

Some fantastic acting tonight. The scene between Kasper and the PM where he was ranting was electrifying.
  • ImperialImperial Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    This has to be the BEST show on TV. It was all done so subtly. What an amazing performance by Kasper, and at the end with Katrine, I felt like my heart was ripped out.
    I think what I love the best about this show is that it credits the audience with some intelligence. Nothing is overly laboured or pushed home.
    And the characters are just first class. Cannot wait for next week, I really look forward to this two hours of first class TV every week.

Couldn't agree more, takes a lot to make me well up but tonight was astounding! Great writing and direction plus first-class ensemble cast.

*Back to lurk mode* :o
  • 1066andallthat1066andallthat Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EmmaS wrote: »
    To the person who was asking what's following Borgen: well, it's Spiral, Series 4.

Saw the first episode of Series 4 premiered at the Cine Lumiere last night introduced by Gregory Fitoussi and there's nothing to worry about, well up to usual standard - won't say anything more except make sure you have your dinner early.

Back to tonight - what a pair of episodes. I'd drifted away from Borgen but the last 4 episodes have brought me back. Superb stuff. Got Kasper's pain over without the histrionics you'd get in a typical UK drama.

Agree 100%

The last 4 episodes have been the best on TV since Shadowland in my opinion.

Superb acting from both Kasper and the PM tonight.

I can only assume that something major is going to develop with the daughter's storyline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wonderful actng and the build up to it was fantastic! Wiping the tears away!:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    squadge wrote: »
    we all knew kasper had been abused from series one - but well done on how it's come out to Stine now. Made me well up too!

Surely you mean Katrine?

And there was no mention of this mysterious Stine in the first episode this week. Me and the OH don't remember the bit shown in the second episode's catch-up where Kasper is leaving his apartment on the phone, saying "Stine, I'll be with you soon". I looked back at tonight's first episode and you see him leaving his gf's apartment (after he gets the late call, says it's work and he'll have to stay over) but we never found what he actually ended up doing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic couple of episodes.

Best line for me was ''Mad Bitch!'' when the irate dog walker bade farewell to Hanne. He must know her well.

Sanne is back in all her six foot flame haired loveliness. With curtsey.

Amir is a cactus lover as well. But he has only got a little one. Or three.

Don't know if it was the light in Amir's office, or my TV is on the blink again. But Birgitte's eyes looked really blue.

Kasper!!! We knew he was abused by his dad. But raped by all his pals as well. Shocking. Kenneth wasn't charged because of his age when he stabbed the creep. But he was put in an institution for a time. I think the Yanks would call that an Emmy ep. Johan Philip Asbæk deserves one for his performance. Birgitte Sørensen wasn't too shabby either. Maybe they can start living happily together know. Til the next blazing row.:D:D

Svend Age is a star. The most odious politician since *******(fill in your own particular preference). But I love how he winds up the liberals. Birgitte, Katrine and Kasper had to apologise to him. Even though they detest the guy. Birgitte being shut in the office with him reminded me of an episode of the West Wing. Because a Chem Weapon detector went off(?) various people who didn't like each other were locked down together for hours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birgitte asked Sanne to order a small box of sweets. So Kasper could give Svend Age a gift with his apology. Is this a Danish thing? Presents with an apology. I think Svend ended up with a tin of biscuits. Were the subs in error here or did Sanne mess up her instructions?

Nice to see Lindenkrone back after her inappropriate kidnap plot was foiled by PET;):D:D Didn't realise she was a redhead as well as Sanne.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anybody remind me, please? In series one, Kasper went to a funeral. Whose funeral is that? He was alone, and then Katrine came to accompany him.

I agree with you all. Brilliant episode. So sad.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His father's funeral.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I get up early to watch recorded programmes and sometimes go on laptop as well if I get distracted but this is one of the few I really look forward to and don't do anything but watch.

Like others I ended up in tears about Kasper's revelation to Katrine but felt it was so movingly done and the acting was superb. Part of me can't wait till the next episodes but then I am sad it will soon be over. I'll definitely watch over again before deleting from planner.
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose kasper's selling his childhood flat with its horrible memories, his father's lonely funeral and revelation to Katrine could be seen as a closure of that part of his life and now he can move on.
  • squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely you mean Katrine?

And there was no mention of this mysterious Stine in the first episode this week. Me and the OH don't remember the bit shown in the second episode's catch-up where Kasper is leaving his apartment on the phone, saying "Stine, I'll be with you soon". I looked back at tonight's first episode and you see him leaving his gf's apartment (after he gets the late call, says it's work and he'll have to stay over) but we never found what he actually ended up doing?

Oops - I do - sorry. past my bedtime when I wrote that. :eek:
    I to wonder who stine is? His mother? a hidden sister?
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

British drama has so much to learn from Borgen.

But I too am baffled by the mysterious 'Stine' ... hopefully a pay-off is pending before the end of this series (only two more Saturdays! :eek::cry:).
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Laura's psychiatrist Dr Iverson was played by Henrik Birch who also played opposition leader Anders Ussing in TK3
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the first of these two episodes, after Amir resigned, I was expecting Birgitte to hold off from announcing her new cabinet until a new Green Party leader was appointed and she had the chance to try and persuade them to stay in the government. I would have thought she would have a good chance of this with a new party leader?
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Laura's psychiatrist Dr Iverson was played by Henrik Birch who also played opposition leader Anders Ussing in TK3

Thank you - I knew I'd seen him somewhere before and couldn't recall whether it was The Killing or The Bridge.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the manic toothbrushing scene rang horribly true to life. Birgitte can't make herself hard enough to leave her family to sink or swim, and the conflict is pulling her apart,

The acting in Borgen is terrific. You don't at any time feel that the actors are wondering how they look on camera - they're inside themselves being the character. It's substance over style.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Thank you - I knew I'd seen him somewhere before and couldn't recall whether it was The Killing or The Bridge.

The chance are that every actor in Borgen has appeared in one of other of those shows

As for Henrik when I saw his name in the end credits it looked familiar so I checked IMDB
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I can't add any more in terms of praise for the acting, but this series has some wonderful true to life comic touches.

The Green Party leader being discovered to own a Cadillac, reminds me of the time when David Cameron made a great deal of his " Green" credentials by cycling to work each day , only for it to be discovered that a car carrying his suit followed directly behind.

Great to see the lovely Sanne back in the PM's office, and still doing her curtseys .