Will the BBC show any classic Dr Who episodes this year, as they did in 1993?

tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm hoping that the BBC do this, maybe on BBC4 or on BBC2, as the show turns 50 in the late Autumn.

BBC2 showed a few episodes of various stories in 1993, when Dr Who turned 30, so I hope they do the same this time.

I'm not sure they will do, as a lot of stories from every Doctor, are now available on DVD and on YouTube.

Who knows? We are getting a documentary about the first 6 years of the show, set between 1963-1969. Harry Potter star David Bradley and the League of Gentlemen's Reece Shearsmith are playing the first two Doctors.

Comments

• CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They showed The Hand of Fear on BBC4 after we lost Lis Sladen, so clearly they're not categorically against it.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is some of the old series on BBC ondemand, mostly the episodes as before, but there is a new addtion

Genisis of the daleks
  • MeissteMeisste Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    BBC2 repeat old Dad's Army on Saturday Nights around 7pm. I wish they would show Classic Who at this time aswell. I think series 12 would be an ideal start.

Unfortunatly I think the BBC might be worried that the old show might ruin the new shows glossy brand, which is ridiculous IMO.

In an ideal world It would be nice for BBC2 to have a 50th celebration season on the run up to the 50th. A bit like the 5 faces of Doctor Who but the 11 faces instead. I would plump for these stories being shown.

An Unearthly Child
    The Tomb of the Cybermen
    The Daemons
    Terror of the Zygons
    The Five Doctors
    The Caves of Androzani
    Revelation of the Daleks
    Remembrance of the Daleks
    The TV Movie
    The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances
    Silence In the Library/ Forest of the Dead
    Flesh and Stone/ The Time of the Angels

Its never going to happen though :(
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meisste wrote: »
    BBC2 repeat old Dad's Army on Saturday Nights around 7pm. I wish they would show Classic Who at this time aswell. I think series 12 would be an ideal start.

Unfortunatly I think the BBC might be worried that the old show might ruin the new shows glossy brand, which is ridiculous IMO.

In an ideal world It would be nice for BBC2 to have a 50th celebration season on the run up to the 50th. A bit like the 5 faces of Doctor Who but the 11 faces instead. I would plump for these stories being shown.

An Unearthly Child
    The Tomb of the Cybermen
    The Daemons
    Terror of the Zygons
    The Five Doctors
    The Caves of Androzani
    Revelation of the Daleks
    Remembrance of the Daleks
    The TV Movie
    The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances
    Silence In the Library/ Forest of the Dead
    Flesh and Stone/ The Time of the Angels

Its never going to happen though :(

(hypothetically of course)

The Five Doctors would work better if the First Doctor story were The Dalek Invasion of Earth. :)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    It'd be nice if BBC4 did but at this point, we don't know.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    I'm sure there was a weekend dedicated to classic Who a few years ago, possibly for the 40th anniversary (although it doesn't seem as long as 10 years ago!). I think it may have been on GOLD rather than the BBC, not 100% sure though.

Even in that weekend, it was annoying that they still showed the same stories multiple times. Some of the stories (in omnibus form) that I definitely remember them showing were:

Deadly Assassin
    Logopolis
    Caves of Androzani
    The Two Doctors
    The Movie

I just wish they'd go back to showing some Classic Who omnibuses in the early hours of Sunday mornings or something (Sky boxes make the timing not a problem) like they used to a few years back.

Edit - done some Googling and that weekend was actually in 2007 and was on UKTV Drama.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    BBC3 will be showing the "Doctor Who Revisited" series they are doing in America :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That well be good.any idea when?
    Forum Member
    Radio Times says mentioned "BBC3 Documentaries" for this november, apparently this will be the revisiteds
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Times says mentioned "BBC3 Documentaries" for this november, apparently this will be the revisiteds

Thank you! We should get these on DVD early next year, hopefully, if they're being shown in the UK.

Any idea when Mark Gattis's 'Who' biopic is to be shown in the UK? I did read on the internet last month that the BBC were thinking of showing this in October, although nothing was finalised.
    Forum Member
    I would love it to be shown on the 23rd of november, it would only be appropriate! :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBCAmerica is doing a series called "Doctor Who Revisited", which is a monthly special leading up to the 50t. Each episode highlights an incarnation of the Doctor, and then plays one of their stories. So far we've had "The Aztecs", and "Tomb of the Cybermen". I'm hoping that "The Claws of Axos", "The Ribos Operation", "Kinda", "Vengeance on Varos", and "Remembrance of the Daleks" play as well.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be nice if they showed the episodes of The Underwater Menace and Galaxy 4 that were found last year, perhaps on a digital channel, just before the special is aired. It would be something genuinely special: classic Doctor Who that most people have never seen, and it would also be a nice way to include the first Two Doctors in the anniversary, who obviously cannot be involved in any other capacity.

Sadly, I can't see this happening as they would rather keep them exclusive for DVD, because they make money from them that way.