Options

Will Windows 10 be more like Windows 7 than Windows 8 ? ! ?

Comments

• Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    Back to the original posters question....

Some seem to have totally missed a fundamental point:

Windows 8.0/8.1/10 introduces a Dual OS, consisting of basically:
    1. The Modern UI+Apps+Touchscreen.
    2. Applications Desktop.

Windows 7 simply does not have the features of 1. the Modern UI to introduce people to Windows 10.

People have the choice of ignoring the Modern UI+Apps+Touchscreen if they wish, many do. No one is forced to use either Apps or a Touchscreen like some posters imply plus many other inaccuracies it would boring to list all those.

Spot on - ok with windows 10, MS are trying to redress the balance, Mind you MS cannot entirely cast its original heavy handed approach aside e.g. they still want to only allow modern on small devices. Why bother? You can always add an external screen and keyboard to facilitate desktop use.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    What was so difficult about designing it as a sensible User interface in the first place like widows 7 or mac Os x for desktop use.

I agree Win 8.1 is not perfect but it's not so bad after a little getting used to.
    You point is kind of silly, GUI software these days should have clear visual clues and its just poor design to have to rely on people remembering certain keys or key combinations. That is going back to the DOS style of operation.

You can also get back to the desktop by clicking on the desktop tile, so there's a visual cue. You can also click on the start button.

In general there are more Win logo shortcut keys available but these are just facilitators rather than essentials.

Having said that, once you discover how to do something then subsequently it doesn't matter that it wasn't obvious. You now know how to do it.
    In answer to the OP, Microsoft have no choice but to revert to a windows 7 style interface for desktop use. Windows 8/8.1 doesn't just have a bad rep with consumers but more importantly business will not upgrade to windows 8/8.1 and it would be a pain for Microsoft if business users just stick with windows 7.

It's also partly timing. A lot of businesses have only relatively recently migrated to Windows 7. No matter how good 8.1 would have been the chances are it would have been a slow migration.

I'm using 8.1 at work. However, it's mostly the software development team that is using it I think (not entirely sure, as I've not been there long enough). The development team is on it because part of the application is a Surface mobile app.

I can't say I've suffered any adverse consequences from being on 8.1 but then I've had it on the laptop for a while (even though not heavily used, I guess it's been enough to get used to it).
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep trying Windows 10 on a second hard drive and still do not like it, in fact I think it have got worse not better. Saying that if i can not solve the problem i have with windows 8 I am going back to 7.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But its not W10, its a development version and not the finished item.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I keep trying Windows 10 on a second hard drive and still do not like it, in fact I think it have got worse not better. Saying that if i can not solve the problem i have with windows 8 I am going back to 7.

Have you given MS feedback on your W10?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Have you given MS feedback on your W10?

Yes, but they are not going to do anything about it, It is this apps with normal windows I hate, I said about having a switch to get rid of all the apps in one go, instead of trying to uninstall them, in fact some do not even uninstall

With Windows 8 I could at least not see them as I did not use the start screen. I say did as i have now reinstalled windows 7 and see if that solves my problem.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    W8/8.1/10 'Refresh' rebuilds the OS keeping existing files and folders.

Apps are removed, except Windows Store Apps which are re-installed.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

You can also create a Custom Refresh Image. Apps are then kept (from when you made the Image) as well as files and folders
    http://www.howtogeek.com/108944/how-to-create-a-custom-refresh-image-in-windows-8/

To revert to normal Refresh, the Custom Image can be deregistered
    http://www.howtogeek.com/167831/everything-you-need-to-know-about-creating-custom-recovery-images-for-windows-8/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, but they are not going to do anything about it, It is this apps with normal windows I hate, I said about having a switch to get rid of all the apps in one go, instead of trying to uninstall them, in fact some do not even uninstall

With Windows 8 I could at least not see them as I did not use the start screen. I say did as i have now reinstalled windows 7 and see if that solves my problem.

They may think your idea is a good one...(Probably not). Anyway, the whole point of the preview is for people who want to use it to pass on comments and improvements. The final release may have many extra features not yet seen.
    If you don't like it and aren't going to use it, you are just wasting your time and everyone elses by commenting on a W10 thread.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member

The answer is staring you in the face - don't use it, it isn't mandatory.

However, I do wonder about your capacity to adapt to change. We all suffer from it, some embrace it whilst others go into a decline and think life will never be the same again.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »

However, I do wonder about your capacity to adapt to change. We all suffer from it, some embrace it whilst others go into a decline and think life will never be the same again.

noise747 will be using Windows 10 a few months after launch, and will still be complaining about it.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used Win8 at home for quite some time, and at work now for about 6 months. I actually don't like going back to Win7 now, the improvements over 7 are under-appreciated by many in my view.

Looking forward to Win 10 though. I run it on a VM and its clearly not the finished article but is showing great promise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They may think your idea is a good one...(Probably not).

I doubt it as MS seems to want to push us to the apps. afcter all it is another way of them making money.
    Anyway, the whole point of the preview is for people who want to use it to pass on comments and improvements. The final release may have many extra features not yet seen.

I am not saying it won't, but will any of them be useful?
    If you don't like it and aren't going to use it, you are just wasting your time and everyone elses by commenting on a W10 thread.

I do not see what time I am wasting for myself or any one else.
    I installed it to be nosy, at the moment I have plenty of time, I install different Linux distros to have a look as well, but the one I use is Mint.

If someone came out with another OS apart from Linux or windows I would have a peak at that as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »

I like being nosy and see how it is going, whihc is why it is installed on a spare drive.

I can adapt to change, but some changes are far too much.
    The start screen on Windows 8 was a mistake and MS knows it, which is why they stuck it back on in windows 10.
    The problem is MS is now so up their own backside thinking that people want silly tiles on their menus and apps, that I do not think they are listening to people who do not like that.

If MS said they would allow people to have a normal start menu and a switch to disable or Metro apps, then I think windows 10 would be better and stop trying to flatten out the UI even more.

The problem is as we have seen with windows 8, at some point you have no choice but to use it/ You buy a new computer now and what do you get? Windows 8, try buying one with Windows 7 and you find it is difficult.
    Once Windows 10 comes out, it will be the same thing.
    You can not stay with the same OS for years any more, XP was different, Ms did not come out with anything to really replace it, Vista was awful and that is why XP stayed going long after it should have died.

Already MS have stopped supporting windows 7, they are only producing security updates now, when that stops, people will have little choice to update to what ever MS have available if they like it or not.

Sure there are alternatives, OSX, but you need to buy expensive machines to get it and Linux, which as much as I love Linux, I do see why some people will not use it.
    What we need is another alternative, but I doubt it will ever come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    noise747 will be using Windows 10 a few months after launch, and will still be complaining about it.

No, I will not be using it, not as my main OS anyway. I am back with windows 7 at the moment and the network problem I was having with 8.1 and 10 do not seem to be happening with Windows 7

The only problem is this image is old and only basic software is installed on it. but I am not going to install anything else at the moment as I will see what happens int he next couple of days.If no problem, then I will install a basic Wincows 8.1 and see if the problem happens again. I will then add software onto it and see what happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, I will not be using it, not as my main OS anyway. I am back with windows 7 at the moment and the network problem I was having with 8.1 and 10 do not seem to be happening with Windows 7

The only problem is this image is old and only basic software is installed on it. but I am not going to install anything else at the moment as I will see what happens int he next couple of days.If no problem, then I will install a basic Wincows 8.1 and see if the problem happens again. I will then add software onto it and see what happens.
    This can be discussed on a windows 8.1 thread...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This can be discussed on a windows 8.1 thread...

It have to do with Windows 10 as well because it is the same fault.

I decided to install windows 10 from a new ISO on the second drive and so far the fault have not happened.

The problem was that my computer would disconnect from the network, I used wireless, then I went out and got some netplugs, but it still did the same.
    The only way to get it back working was to either reboot or to disable the network adaptor and re-enable.
    This happened on Windows 8 and when I updated to windows 10 it still happened.

This is a clean install of 10 now, so let see if it will happen. If not then i will try again with a clean install of 8.1 ont he main drive and see what happens.
    But i will start adding software on windows 10 and see if it make a difference.
    I am wondering if 10 or 8 .1 for that matter as it also have built in security, do not like my internet security software.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you make System Images of Clean Installs?

Using 3rd party Antivirus programs with W10 has not been possible for many.
    Some reports I saw said Avast was OK now, but it wasn't when I last tried it on my machine a couple of weeks ago..

Official advice is to just use MS Defender until it's all sorted out.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure there are alternatives, OSX, but you need to buy expensive machines to get it and Linux, which as much as I love Linux, I do see why some people will not use it.
    What we need is another alternative, but I doubt it will ever come.

So the market does not provide you with exactly what you want. Fair enough. No-one is stopping you from writing your own OS. Or you can take Linux and extend it to satisfy your needs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prompted me to make my own Macrium Image. I haven't done one in a week or so.

And I got a VSS error.

Don't know if it's related to W10 Build 10049 upgrade.

Fortunately I found a solution quickly. Download Fix at bottom of page.
    http://kb.macrium.com/knowledgebasearticle50010.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member

Some reports I saw said Avast was OK now, but it wasn't when I last tried it on my machine a couple of weeks ago..

Bitdefender is working OK on mine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have a clean install image of windows 8.1, but not not 10. I did have one of windows 7, but I have no idea where it is.

I want something that will protect me, not something that opens a back door.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the market does not provide you with exactly what you want. Fair enough. No-one is stopping you from writing your own OS. Or you can take Linux and extend it to satisfy your needs.

I do not have the knowledge to write my own OS or extend Linux.

Linux is fine for me, I love Mint, it does the job nicely, the problem is the lack of software I need.
    Apple OSx is also good, but it means updating my software.
    Windows 7 does what I want to be honest, it is reliable, fast and runs everything I throw at it, even Windows 8 have compatibility problems with some software. windows ten have hardware problems, like Vista all over again.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A patch to give your Windows 7 and 8 PCs adverts for Windows 10.

http://www.neowin.net/news/patch-for-windows-7-and-8-will-notify-users-to-upgrade-to-windows-10
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Windows 10, X2 click an mp3 or a movie you have paid for and own

>> you don't get a media player

>> a shop opens, offering to sell you a movie, soundtrack etc

f**k that . . .
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    In Windows 10, X2 click an mp3 or a movie you have paid for and own

>> you don't get a media player

>> a shop opens, offering to sell you a movie, soundtrack etc

f**k that . . .

Thought it would have Windows Media Player on the Desktop like Windows 7 and Windows 8.