Options

Mad Max: Fury Road

Comments

• Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from it today; I thought it was excellent and Miller's finally been able to make the Mad Max movie he's always wanted to.

Here's a very unpopular opinion - but I thought it was better than the first two. MM1's pacing was all over the place and it was a real struggle to sit through at some points. What was the point in all of the 'character development' when it's essentially an exploitation flick? I understand that it was due to budget constraints, and I can also appreciate it's influence on today's action films but today it doesn't quite stand up on it's own; it's an interesting piece of film history though. I like to think of it as a jigsaw puzzle with some pieces in the wrong order, and later, more satisfying actioners (e.g. Terminator) solved it.
    Road Warrior had the same problem.

I'm glad that movie studios are finally coming to their senses and are releasing true action movies for adults (and older teens). I know that violence does not make a good film on it's own, but the film feels un-natural and has something missing if the previous films have been like that; take Die Hard for example.

definitely agree with this, the only max I have not seen in it's entirety is no 3, is it worth checking out ?
  • Options
    giratalkialgagiratalkialga Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    definitely agree with this, the only max I have not seen in it's entirety is no 3, is it worth checking out ?

I'm in the same situation as you so I can't help you there! :D

This may sound shallow but the PG-13 rating is what's putting me off. Over here it's a 15 like the other three (last month, MM1 and Road Warrior were rightly down rated to 15) but hasn't been submitted since the '90s so would probably get a 12 today.

If you've seen and been disappointed by AvP, Terminator Salvation and the like you'll understand why I'm sceptical about Beyond Thunderdome.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anonimus wrote: »
    PLEASE don't remake these films!!

If I was George Miller I'd slap a copyright order and put it in my will that the Mad Max francihse should never be remade and any future films in the series rely purely on stunt work

I've actually seen Mad Max style motor bike action while I've been walking home from wprk (people doing wheelies on motorbikes and having motorbike races on thr pavement (some people don't beg, plead or ask to demand to be involved in serious or fatal accidents- thet DEMAND it and it serves them right if they go flying head first over the front of a police car or stopped nd asked why they tthink they're rJesse Mach.

Fairly substantial amounts of fail in this post. Unless you mean "please don't anyone else in the future remake these films", including Fury Road. Which you may well do.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Family dragged me to watch this and I thought it would be utterly shite.

10 minutes in and I was grinning like a loon. It was utterly brilliant, best film I've seen in years.

Love the inventiveness, the cinematography, acting, everything. Fabulous. Wouldn't mind seeing it again. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Family dragged me to watch this and I thought it would be utterly shite.

That would've been the opposite way around with me; A Royal Night Out is more their sort of thing :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would've been the opposite way around with me; A Royal Night Out is more their sort of thing :D

Your lot are obviously more cultured than us! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Your lot are obviously more cultured than us! :D

My sister is very strange in that respect. She's obsessed with the royal family and loves a good period drama but at the same time she squeals with delight when Chucky guts someone or pushes them out of a window :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister is very strange in that respect. She's obsessed with the royal family and loves a good period drama but at the same time she squeals with delight when Chucky guts someone or pushes them out of a window :confused:

Perhaps a Royal slasher movie would be right up her street? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    looks like a complete load of rubbish. though i dont like the originals either. its just cartoon characters and sillyness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    looks like a complete load of rubbish. though i dont like the originals either. its just cartoon characters and sillyness.

This goes a lot deeper than your average 'sillyness' Transformers blockbuster.
  • Options
    TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really wanted to like Mad Max: Fury Road but for me it was too glossy, too Hollywood. Mel Gibson's Max felt more real probably due to the lower budget.

I can't put my finger on why Fury Road didn't do it for me, spectacular stunts - yes, Tom Hardy - Excellent, Charlize Theron - Great, Nicholas Hoult - also Great, but... for me it still didn't work. I left the cinema very disappointed. :(
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's billed as an action film, but it's action sequences aren't even it's greatest strength. It has phenomenal storytelling, while having very minimal dialogue. It is the anti-thesis to Nolan's heavy exposition dialogue filled films. I've seen every Nolan film, after seeing the minimal approach in Fury Road I don't think I could watch another Nolan film again. It would be like using an iPhone for the 1st time and then going back to a Motorola V3.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Has anyone bought the soundtrack and can they recommend it? During the film it was fantastic, but unsure about out of the film.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    its just cartoon characters and sillyness.
    Coming from LOTR, you'd know all about that.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Hmm. Sorta liked it. Sorta didn't. Initially exhilarating, then wearying - watching is like being chased yourself. It's certainly an experience, but I was glad when it was over.

I suppose it earns points by comparison to the gloopy, softened CGI-fests we've become used to, and it's refreshingly clear in its intentions. But it cripplingly lacks scope for its overlong running time, and comes across as something of a back-dated idea given the cosmetic polish of modern production values. Fair play to George Miller though - his direction/mise-en-scene is as eye-catching and uncompromised as ever, and the stuntmen must've been insane.
    revolver44 wrote: »
    That's exactly what it is. The studio basically gave him a blank cheque and said "go make your movie". 3 years and 150 million dollars later....
    And this was the real niggle with me I think. Though not an empty film, it does have the hollow ring of a vast vanity project. I've nothing against directorial indulgences (I'm a De Palma fan), but MMFR trades on the past just like any other reboot. What is its reason for being? As I said, it scores by contrast, but of itself it felt faintly superfluous.

Hopefully sequels will be more expansive - Miller tried gamely with 'Thunderdome and didn't quite pull it off. So there's a new challenge at least. 6.5/10
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone bought the soundtrack and can they recommend it? During the film it was fantastic, but unsure about out of the film.

Funnily enough I had it today, and as great as it is during the movie it's a little bit insane when hearing it in the comfort of your living room with no movie alongside it. I'd say for completists only, although it does have one or two fantastic pieces of music.
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough I had it today, and as great as it is during the movie it's a little bit insane when hearing it in the comfort of your living room with no movie alongside it. I'd say for completists only, although it does have one or two fantastic pieces of music.

I am betting that one of those pieces, is the theme that plays, when, they are trailed by the almost singular gang of bikers, attacking the war rig, about mid way, through the film

that piece was very stirring
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Saw this last night in IMAX 3D and it was stunning. THIS is how you make an action movie. It's an audio visual feast. A brilliant piece of filmmaking. Cinematography and editing is top notch.

It's a simple story but never cliched or predictable like most generic action movies these days. Due to the use of physical effects and not cgi there is always a real sense of danger and tension. Watching these machines smashing into each other is so effective knowing that it's all real. Rubbish like Transformers just doesn't pack the same punch, always looking like a glorified video game.

This film NEEDS to be seen on the big screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »
    Saw this last night in IMAX 3D and it was stunning. THIS is how you make an action movie. It's an audio visual feast. A brilliant piece of filmmaking. Cinematography and editing is top notch.
    This film NEEDS to be seen on the big screen.

I saw it in 3D and whilst it was still great, I regret not seeing it in IMAX :(
    I saw too many IMAX films last year and I'm trying to save my one IMAX trip for The Force Awakens.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member

Have you listened to it in the car yet?!? I'd be interested in your feedback! :D
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's billed as an action film, but it's action sequences aren't even it's greatest strength. It has phenomenal storytelling, while having very minimal dialogue. It is the anti-thesis to Nolan's heavy exposition dialogue filled films. I've seen every Nolan film, after seeing the minimal approach in Fury Road I don't think I could watch another Nolan film again. It would be like using an iPhone for the 1st time and then going back to a Motorola V3.

Yup, it really embodies the whole idea of "show, don't tell".
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was pretty good , Miller's style of directing and editing is really effective , he does that thing where he builds it up and there's just chaos and makes you jump and hold your breath , then he drops the sound out and everything seems to stop .

wasn't keen on Tom Hardy's portrayal , obviously I don't expect him to say much , he's stoic etc. but this has been done much better by Eastwood and Gibson of course in the originals , Hardy just doesn't cut it .

something I didn't get -
    at the beginning they tattoo stuff on Max's back - did that plotline go anywhere , it seemed important
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you listened to it in the car yet?!? I'd be interested in your feedback! :D

Lol not yet, I'm worried I'll get the overwhelming urge to cause carnage down my local high street *now where did I put that flame thrower guitar?* :p
  • Options
    JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you having a laugh?
    Its a mega car chase one way and a mega car chase back!
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    something I didn't get -
    at the beginning they tattoo stuff on Max's back - did that plotline go anywhere , it seemed important

Well, probably the most important thing was:
    the tattoo saying that he was blood group O-, universal donor, given how useful that turned out to be near the end of the film ;)