Options

Obscure and rare films

Comments

• Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ThinBoy wrote: »
    Come Back to the Five and Dime is a superb film. And The Shout - both excellent.

I'm still waiting for Freebie and the Bean to get a DVD release! And Trouble In Mind - another one with Kris Kristofferson, and also featuring Divine in one of his few serious non-drag roles as a gangland boss.

Freebie and The Bean is available on R1 dvd. Had a copy of this for a while now.

Its an ok transfer but not great...but for a film as obscure as this its probably not going to get any better.

And before someone starts moaning about not being multi region...apart from it being very easy and cheap to get a multi region player these days, if you are a movie fan and looking for obscure, lesser known movies its a no brainer...tired of people moaning about not being able to see their favourite movies and waiting years for a R2 release which may never happen...if you really want to see the film its not that difficult or expensive to make it happen.

In fact I have recently been ordering many obscurities from all over the world, usually very cheaply.

Never understand why so many people moan about this...I was multi region from the minute multi region was invented.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmicsoup wrote: »
    This was a martial arts movie from the mid eightys. The main character was a Bruce Lee wannabe called Bruce Leeroy. I remember it being quite funny. Some of the songs were also amusing especially one called The Glow (i think that was the title) which played when Bruce became the master, and started to look like someone from the old readybrek adverts

A guilty pleasure for me this one, and something of an undiscovered gem.

Very, very tongue-in-cheek, largely a mickeytake of the martial arts genre.

Produced by Motown's Berry Gordy, therefore expect lots of 80's soul/rap/and the beginnings of hip hop music.

But the real reason to see this movie?

Sho Nuff.

Julius J Carry III plays the ridiculously over the top villain, and you have never seen a guy throw himself into a role like this...he knows how ridiculous the whole thing is, but he just goes for it in a big way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5MwtC2uLM
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?

saw it once on telly in the late 70s , haven't seen it since . starred Anthony Newley , it was surreal and crazy , I loved it but who knows what I'd think now

That I do want to see after buying and loving The Strange World of Gurney Slade with Newley. Some clips on yewtoob suggest it's a bit of a bonkers Newley version of Fellini's 8 and a Half. Seriously doubt it's up to that film in quality! Still like to see it though. After it flopped, Newley went all Las Vegas variety for years, so be nice to see him having a last hurrah at something leftfield.

Didnt know it had even been shown on TV....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Sir Henry at Rawlinson End? Pure genius! Written by Viv Stanshall and Trevor Howard's last film. It's beautifully English, utterly mad and very very funny.

If you have not see it, I would recommend The Missionary, if only for Trevor Howards hilarious Rawlinson-like Lord Henry Ames...a bluff old army major obsessed with punishing the poor...presumably just because they have the temerity to be poor...

Sample quotes -

Lord Ames: I once had a chap before me who'd been caught stealing from the mess. I ordered every alternate fingernail to be removed, and you know, I still get a card from him every Christmas.

Lord Ames: You see, what I think is wrong with the country today is that there aren't enough people chained up.

[Writing to The Times on how to treat the poor]

Lord Ames: Are there two "l"s in "disembowelment"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont know whether Virgil will read this but...

'Merkin' is on YouTube in its entirety...watched it a few days ago. If you are interested in Anthony Newley and want to see him film a bizarre, self indulgent version of his mid life crisis which certainly is influenced by Fellini (One of the 3 critics in the film who are commenting as it unfolds, played by Victor Spinetti!, actually says "I blame Fellini....") then fill yer boots! It's remarkably self lacerating and could well have been career suicide. Certainly not surprised that Joan Collins, who features, divorced him soon after! I am a Newley admirer and found it fascinating, and some of the imagery is fantastic...others might think its one of the worst films ever committed to celluloid. :)
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Kronos". Fifties SF movie which is never on TV. A huge alien machine arrives on Earth and attempts to absorb all the planet's energy. Apart from some dodgy animated legs when Kronos goes walkabout, it's quite impressive.
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Big bump! Still looking for Violette Noziere. It's on YouTube but no English subtitles. Not on Amazon Instant etc. I still can't quite believe such a film isn't available, even more these days. A Love in Germany, too.
    Assuming it's the same version I watched a few years ago, subtitles are available. Download the film and subs separately and them play them together.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bluefb wrote: »
    Assuming it's the same version I watched a few years ago, subtitles are available. Download the film and subs separately and them play them together.
    Oh, OK! I never thought of that. Thanks very much!
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking for Mr. Goodbar
    Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just remembered a great film with Richard Burton, It's called The Medusa Touch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtaeOvrgoLE
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »

That seemed to be on telly a lot when I was a kid.

Mind you, films were back then. The three channels used to make the showing of a film an event, whereas now, the main channels pretty much tuck them away late at night, leaving it to Sky and Film 4 and their ilk.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

'Merkin' is on YouTube in its entirety...watched it a few days ago. If you are interested in Anthony Newley and want to see him film a bizarre, self indulgent version of his mid life crisis which certainly is influenced by Fellini (One of the 3 critics in the film who are commenting as it unfolds, played by Victor Spinetti!, actually says "I blame Fellini....") then fill yer boots! It's remarkably self lacerating and could well have been career suicide. Certainly not surprised that Joan Collins, who features, divorced him soon after! I am a Newley admirer and found it fascinating, and some of the imagery is fantastic...others might think its one of the worst films ever committed to celluloid. :)

cheers , I'll check it out .

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    caught the last half hour of Twisted Nerve last night on Horror channel , I was sure I'd seen this but didn't recognise it at all .

• Options
    gamersxchangegamersxchange Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    caught the last half hour of Twisted Nerve last night on Horror channel , I was sure I'd seen this but didn't recognise it at all .

I watched it last time when it was shown on ITV4 (iirc when the channel had the awful green dog)
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I Start Counting", 70s thriller with Jenny Agutter (+ school uniform).:)
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was this one with Michele Dotrice, re-made recently. Not hard to find but not that well-known, I don't think.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065398/ And Soon the Darkness

and Don't Talk to Strange Men is worth a watch, if you like old British suspense films.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UBSUME?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

watched it now .

well , it was even weirder than I remembered . some of the names are great - polyester poontang ! and the pictures are good but the songs not as good as i remember .

the Lolita bit was weird , not sure what he was saying there .
  • Options
    soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A guilty pleasure for me this one, and something of an undiscovered gem.

Very, very tongue-in-cheek, largely a mickeytake of the martial arts genre.

Produced by Motown's Berry Gordy, therefore expect lots of 80's soul/rap/and the beginnings of hip hop music.

But the real reason to see this movie?

Sho Nuff.

Julius J Carry III plays the ridiculously over the top villain, and you have never seen a guy throw himself into a role like this...he knows how ridiculous the whole thing is, but he just goes for it in a big way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5MwtC2uLM

I am also a fan of this film, and Vanity did look particularly amazing in this. Julius sadly died in 2008 aged just 56.

Another few little known 80's films:

Back to School - Starring the late great Rodney Dangerfield and a young Robert Downey Jr.

One Crazy Summer - John Cusack, Demi Moore and Bobcat Goldthwait.

Moontrap - Low budget Sci-Fi Horror starring Bruce Campbell and Walter Koenig.

The Hunchback Hairball of L.A. Weird comedy take on the hunchback story set in an American college.

The Wraith - Supernatural thriller with a very cool car starring Charlie Sheen and Randy Quaid.
  • Options
    AnonimusAnonimus Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    Back in the 80s the video libraries were full of (now) obscure video titles, maily Italian Post Apocalyptic films/Mad Max rip offs, barbarian woman films and video nasties.
    The vast majority of these titles are no obscure and one I can remember is one called The Iron Master.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    soran wrote: »
    Back to School - Starring the late great Rodney Dangerfield and a young Robert Downey Jr.
    "Your wife was just showing us her Klimt." - Great stuff, and though perhaps obscure here, it proved a big hit in the US.

As we know, the DVD boom brought many a dimly-remembered childhood curio back into circulation. Two fairly recent acquisitions:

The Boy with Green Hair - Joseph Losey's 1948 anti-war/intolerance fable. Dated, but a lot of old school charm still intact.

Miracle of Fatima - This one had baffled me for yonks until I stumbled on it by accident (via The Fortean Times, IIRC). Three Portugese children are visited by the glowing apparition of a tall lady with omens to dispense. Somewhat corny 1952 treatment of a fascinating, allegedly true incident, but well worth investigating if this sort of thing intrigues you.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alison's Birthday, 80's Australian horror about a witches coven, saw it on video once over twenty years ago but the ending has always stayed with me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thms wrote: »

But no longer obscure or hard to find. Released on blu ray in UK last year, and been available on UK dvd since 2006.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soran wrote: »
    I am also a fan of this film, and Vanity did look particularly amazing in this. Julius sadly died in 2008 aged just 56.

Another few little known 80's films:

One Crazy Summer - John Cusack, Demi Moore and Bobcat Goldthwait.

Moontrap - Low budget Sci-Fi Horror starring Bruce Campbell and Walter Koenig.

The Hunchback Hairball of L.A. Weird comedy take on the hunchback story set in an American college.

The Wraith - Supernatural thriller with a very cool car starring Charlie Sheen and Randy Quaid.

Back To School - it was an ok film, but Rodney Dangerfield's humour did not seem to click with UK audiences.

One Crazy Summer - not bad, but preferred Savage Steve Holland's earlier Better Off Dead, also with John Cusack and Curtis Hanson ...it had a wacky, surreal and off-the-wall attitude, and was very funny and inventive in places.

Moontrap - I remember this, and also watched it recently as it was released on US and also German blu ray in a special edition. Unfortunately, it has not aged well at all.

The Wraith - I remember this well, and its another one that has not aged well. Seemed very cool at the time though. Not that hard to find, seem to be quite a few copies on Amazon, some even uncut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    watched it now .

well , it was even weirder than I remembered . some of the names are great - polyester poontang ! and the pictures are good but the songs not as good as i remember .

the Lolita bit was weird , not sure what he was saying there .

Oh, I think Newley liked them young....but not too young to get into a sinister area. Anneke Wills was young at the time of Gurney Slade and had a child of his, I believe. So don't think it was dodgy stuff.

Still amazed on reflection how self critical the film is. Including the death of a baby, his treatment of his first wife and women in general, the hint in the sequence where there's a long row of 'conquests'.....and one of them's a bloke! (Haven't found a biography of him, unfortunately, but understand there's a suggestion in the one that's been written that he was bi sexual) It really is a remarkable film. Again, whether it's brave or completely crazy commercial suicide, or both, I'm still not sure!
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Whistle Tune crops up in American Horror Story and I heard it on a car advert recently.
    Still waiting for two obscure British films to appear on DVD. Deadly Strangers and What Became of Jack and Jill.