Options

Ryanair, Monarch or Easyjet?

maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have spent the last few days looking for flights from these companies from various London airports. They all offer the flights I want and their quotes are relatively similar too, but I am confused as to whether I have to pay more for baggage etc.
The main question though is would you have any preference on the airline as I have not used any of these before?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member
    I would go for Monarch. I flied with them years ago and the food was nice and plane comfortable. Easy Jet is just cheap sh*t and Ryanair treat their staff appalingly
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I flew Monarch chartered once - never again! Cramped and rubbish service. Scheduled may be different though.
    I quite like Easyjet. They tend to leave you alone once they've been round once with the trolley.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've flown Monarch both scheduled and Charter within the past 3 years. They are fine, scheduled you wouldn't think they were a 'budget' airline as service was quite good.
  • Options
    eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have flown with all 3 and I am not that keen on the service provided by RYANAIR. I got stranded in Spain when RYANAIR cancelled flights and the support offered to stranded passengers was very poor. I found RYANAIR staff grumpy and stroppy but Easyjet staff were pleasant and helpful. It is years ago since I flew with Monarch but I had a good flight but they may have changed.
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I've just flown to Dublin with Ryanair - it was fine - it is what it is.

Never used Easy Jet.

Flew to the Maldives with Monach a couple of years ago and would NEVER fly anywhere with them again - even to the end of my road. They were THAT bad.
  • Options
    HampshireHannahHampshireHannah Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used all three and I would go for EasyJet. Ryanair were also fine, but my two Monarch flights (to Spain and back) were both delayed by many hours and the plane seats were quite uncomfortable. I'm only 5"1 so I don't need lots of leg room, but there wasn't enough even for me. I wouldn't go with them again.
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for EasyJet. Different class of service and reliability to the other two IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Flown with all three.

Only real problems I ever had with any of them were:

Shuttle bus Ryanair provide from Charleroi to Brussels (one of these 'out of town' airports thats cheap to fly to) failed to turn up to take us back to the airport at the end of our stay. Left us, and about 20 other people on the flight, in a last minute panic and we all had to pay for taxis to get us there on time.

Long delay on a Monarch flight back from Cyprus but I suppose that can happen with any airline.

Other than that, all fine.

Just flew with Flyglobespan last week and while they were fine going out (from Edinburgh) the flight back (from Barcelona) was the most badly organised, Mickey Mouse effort at a flight I've ever been on. Two hours to check in, no help for the check-in staff (the computer was broken apparently), mad dash to get the flight, crap info at the departure gate, idiot flight attendants. Pilots were the only ones who did a decent job on that flight.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on how long the flight is, and how much luggage you are bringing, how far you live from the departure airport, and how farthe arrivals airport is from where you want to go. Once you've added in the extras for the journeys to andfrom each airport, baggage fees (if its a short trip, can you stuff it all in the handluggage?) check in fees if you don't use the on line check in service.
    Where are you off to?
  • Options
    BarackObamaBarackObama Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I would probably fly with Monarch as they have had a plane crash and the other two have yet to have one.

I often wonder if budget airline service their planes as often as the big boys and statistically they are way overdue one?

I always think I have cheated death when I get off a plane in one piece.

It's 99.99% it wont happen but like visiting San Fran you know one day they will get a very big earthquake and likewise one day easyjet will have an unfortunate accident.

Don't want to put you off and I am sure you will be just fine, take care and be lucky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ff999 wrote: »
    It all depends on how long the flight is, and how much luggage you are bringing, how far you live from the departure airport, and how farthe arrivals airport is from where you want to go. Once you've added in the extras for the journeys to andfrom each airport, baggage fees (if its a short trip, can you stuff it all in the handluggage?) check in fees if you don't use the on line check in service.
    Where are you off to?

Thanks everyone so far.....
    Its a short haul to Palma. I have looked at the car park charges and they are very similar. The difference in the mileage to the airports are insignificant as are the timings for the journeys to the airport.
    I am confused about hand luggage nowdays. I havent flown since 9/11 when the rules changed. And I dont understand if you have to pay extra for baggage on all the flights.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,928
    Forum Member
    i flew easyjet once by mistake. they start cleaning up the plane using bin liners while you are still in the air and spend most of the time selling scratchcards. it's so not money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vote for easyjet, I don't know why but i'm no where near as happy with ryanair
    as for easyjet cleaning before you got off, thats how they make their money, quick turn arounds, so they need cleanness! Thats good for me, I hate leaving rubbish around but i really had no room in hand luggage
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    I'd go for Monarch - the staff on the flight's have generally been politer and more helpful when I've flown with them (normally four to six flights a year), and you still get allocated seating with them rather than the free for all you get with Easyjet:D

Monarch's hand luggage allowance is free, but you do have to pay for any suitcases you put in the hold - I think it's the same with all the low cost carriers now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »

Shuttle bus Ryanair provide from Charleroi to Brussels (one of these 'out of town' airports thats cheap to fly to) failed to turn up to take us back to the airport at the end of our stay. Left us, and about 20 other people on the flight, in a last minute panic and we all had to pay for taxis to get us there on time.

I had to pay EUR100 for a 120mph taxi ride to Dusseldorf (weeze) airport after realising not very long before my flight that it wasn't at the airport you could see from outside my hostel. If I ever had the misfortune to be travelling with them again I would seriously check they haven't lied about the location of the airport. Their worst is Copenhagen (Malmo) which is actually in Sweden and the Airport they claim takes you to Vienna which is in Slovakia.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    DigiRich wrote: »
    I had to pay EUR100 for a 120mph taxi ride to Dusseldorf (weeze) airport after realising not very long before my flight that it wasn't at the airport you could see from outside my hostel. If I ever had the misfortune to be travelling with them again I would seriously check they haven't lied about the location of the airport. Their worst is Copenhagen (Malmo) which is actually in Sweden and the Airport they claim takes you to Vienna which is in Slovakia.

I am travelling to Dublin this week for £1.50 return inclusive of ALL taxes and charges as I am travelling with hand luggage only. Ryanair are fine (and actually arrive on time more often than most airlines) but can start getting more costly if you want to check in luggage (but unlike BA they rarely lose it:D) or want to travel oN Fridays/Sundays etc. Easyjet are fine too.

As you say - check which airport you are flying from/to in advance. Saying that there is virtually always a bus service provided by Ryanair and partners to the nearest main city.

PS Malmo is actually very convenient for Copenhagen - there is a bus service connecting the airport and Copenhagen city centre which is timed to meet all flights.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    DigiRich wrote: »
    I had to pay EUR100 for a 120mph taxi ride to Dusseldorf (weeze) airport

Wow!

Must have been one craaaaazy taxi driver and you must have been running REALLY late for something!

;)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fly to spain a lot.

Always use Monarch. Excellent service.
    You also dont need to book a in flight meal as they come around with a menu.
  • Options
    chris20chris20 Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    god i once went with Ryanair to France there plain was a mess loads of things broking on board and rude staff very scary flight
  • Options
    accordaccord Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neither. BMI all the way :)
  • Options
    detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've used Ryanair and Easyjet, both were fine for me. They are all much the same so I would just go with the one that was cheapest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    accord wrote: »
    neither. BMI all the way :)

I did consider bmi as they fly out of Heathrow which is the nearest airport to me, but I can get 3 flights for the price of 1 if I go with one of the others!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Definitley not Ryanair.. I've heard baaad things about them!! I have flown with both easyjet and monarch and I think personally that monarch is nicer :)
  • Options
    accordaccord Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maxsi wrote: »
    I did consider bmi as they fly out of Heathrow which is the nearest airport to me, but I can get 3 flights for the price of 1 if I go with one of the others!

quality or quantity? ;) BMI are quality. also worth signing up for the membership club!
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    chris20 wrote: »
    god i once went with Ryanair to France there plain was a mess loads of things broking on board and rude staff very scary flight

I have never had any such problems and I (and my family) have been flying with Ryanair regularly ever since the airline was founded 20 years ago. They actually have a lot of Irish/Eastern European crew who are usually a lot nicer than on other airlines - although I appreciate that Ryanair is not the best employer.

In the last 18 months BA by contrast have lost my luggage twice and it has never turned up - in 20 years I have never lost luggage on Ryanair.

You pays your money and you takes your choice - as I have relatives in Ireland Ryanair has been a godsend to me as it serves airports the national carrier (Aer Lingus) gave up on a long time ago.