should i get freesat?(article)

darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/may/08/television.bbc is this the worst article on freesat?(the idiot would rather have apple tv as he says it is "freer":D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That guy hasn't a clue what he's talking about to put it politely.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the pricing is a bit dubious (like the £80 installation charge for Freesat and the 'extra' £399 for a Sky HD box and WTF is he on about with that last paragraph) but overall it seems a fair assessment to me.

A lot of people here are acting like Freesat is the latest and greatest thing to hit TV. It isn't. It's old technology finally being made accessible to the wider public. In a couple of years it might grow into something to rival Sky/Virgin but not at the moment.

There's nothing on Freesat right now that can't be had from at least one other service. Even when ITVHD finally appears there will be more HD channels available on Freesat from Sky. (and no, you won't need a subscription to see them).

Freesat is only going to start making sense to the wider audience if/when PVRs for it appear and if/when more HD channels appear.

If you can't currently get DTT or if you haven't yet bought any DTT equipment then consider buying the kit. Otherwise there are probably better things to spend your money on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might not need a subscription from sky to access the HD Freebies but you need to buy their very expensive box! ie between twice and three times the price of a freesat HD box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Sky HD PVR boxes go on e-bay for £200

How much is the HD freesat box with no PVR feature?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £120 for a Bush HD from a high street retailer which you can take back if you've any problems unlike ebay items. Why pay £200 when you can't use one of the main functions of the Sky box unless you pay sky another £10 a month.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    and as far as I am aware, YouTube has no plans to go hi-def, just slightly better SD.
  • nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The price of £399 for the Sky box is the price that Sky themselves quote if you want it without a Sky sub - plus another £120 for installation.

And if you're comparing the price of things like Freesat boxes in the high street with a sub free Sky box, isn't that the fairest thing to do - to look at the official listed price for each? Yes, of course you can get a Sky HD box cheaper by hunting on eBay or online, and in time the same will be true of Freesat boxes.

But if you want to give a fair comparison, that should really mean comparing like with like, so either a bargain eBay price for both items, or the 'official' price for both. That's the general rule of thumb, certainly, in the magazines for which I write. You can't hunt around for the cheapest price for one part of a comparison, and then ignore discounts for the other, unless you make that clear to the reader.

Prices for SkyHD if you're not a customer, and don't subscribe, are at the bottom of this page.

Obviously, those prices are the unsubsidised SkyHD ones, and likely intended to push people towards a subscription. But if people do want free HD with no sub, that would seem a fair headline figure to use.
  • NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought it wasn't a terrible article. The last para is nonsense, but nothing to get too worked up about?
  • CorinCorin Posts: 7,224
    Forum Member
    The article tends to imply that HD is not currently available on FreeSat, which is obviously not true.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what also is silly is his opinion of apple tv as a viable option,who wants to pay £200 for a box that you can view youtube on your tv or to view tv programes bought from itunes,when we can do this on a normal pc or mac(perhaps he is an apple fanboy:D)-you cant compare it with a freesat/sky box.what is funny is that the guardian is supposed to be place of great journalism
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nwhitfield wrote: »
    The price of £399 for the Sky box is the price that Sky themselves quote if you want it without a Sky sub - plus another £120 for installation.
    I wasn't dispusting that. It was the way he'd written "..extra £399" as if to imply that it was the cost of Sky+ with another £399 on top.

From a factual point of view it was poorly researched and poorly written. OTOH I agree with the overall assessment. It all costs money and right now Freesat isn't offering anything special.
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    Excellent misquote .... :D:D:D:D:D
    darnall42 wrote: »
    the idiot would rather have apple tv as he says it is "freer":D