Options

EE's Christian & Syed or Corrie's Sean and Marcus - Which couple is your favourite?

Comments

• Options
    EETILLIDIE11EETILLIDIE11 Posts: 2,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christian, Syed and Sean are irritating little *****. So, going by this, I'd say Sean and Marcus, as there is one less irritating little ****.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,326
    Forum Member
    "they're always bickering"

Ehh it's soapland, if they're not bickering chances are they're not in it :)
    I thought they were always having explicit gay sex before the watershed and corrupting the nation's children:rolleyes:

Seriously though, in answer to the OP's question, it's a bit like asking "The Beatles or Jedward?" there's just no comparison :sleep:

Tbf, I don't watch Corrie anymore so can't comment on Sean and Marcus's current relationship, but I did watch it when they were in it before and the had all the chemistry of a used tea bag. Not to mention their relationship was barely credible back then (a good looking, intelligent, all round nice bloke like Marcus could do a thousand times better than whiney, annoying drama queen Sean) so it's even more unbelievable that years after dumping Sean, Marcus wakes up one morning and decides he's the love of his life:rolleyes:

Christian and Syed, on the other hand, are a truly believable couple, they have chemistry in spades and their love story has been beautifully crafted and full of emotional highs and lows. I've watched soaps my whole life and enjoyed many different sls but none has moved me as much as Christian and Syed.

And they're both HOT:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christian & Syed are my favourite couple in any show, I love them. Their love story was original and moving and it's been wonderful watching them as a official couple after all they've endured to be together. Syed's growth from been in denial to living as a gay man has been lovely to see. JP and ME chemistry is blistering hot, they deserve a best onscreen partnership award.
  • Options
    Will MitchellWill Mitchell Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If viewers complaining about a gay kiss think it's bad. They should avoid the day Syed and Christian have their Civil Partnership ceremony :)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    but does it really matter that Syed's married when they're seperated?

They are separated because he drove her away:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not condoning the affair, but would you rather Syed had lived a lie.
  • Options
    QueenShebaVIIIQueenShebaVIII Posts: 1,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Or because she was idiotic enough to marry a gay man who didn't even hide it that well (because corks get stuck under doors when you're alone in the kitchen with your gay 'friend' all the time) then not get an annulment when it became even more obvious he was gay with the lack of sex . . . I guess it depends on how you look at it.
  • Options
    jenn123jenn123 Posts: 19,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

You can't be serious. Syed is gay - should he have stayed with her then? How would that have been fair on Amira? Doesn't she deserve someone who actually loves her like she wants to be loved?

Anyway, I don't watch Corrie and have barely seen any scenes with Sean and Marcus...but it's going to be hard to compete with, to me anyway, the strongest couple in Eastenders, gay or straight. :) So, Christian and Syed for me!
  • Options
    LMichie86LMichie86 Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Or because she was idiotic enough to marry a gay man
    Tbf gay men don't usually want to marry women. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,933
    Forum Member
    LMichie86 wrote: »
    Tbf gay men don't usually want to marry women. :rolleyes:

It happens far more often than you think, especially in cultures where homosexuality is not accepted. I personally know someone whose husband left her to live with a man after 25 years of marriage and 4 children. They want to have a family and believe that they can make it work somehow - but it usually becomes impossible with time
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    Christian and Syed are the best gay couple ever in soap, because they can both act, are not annoying and are sweet to watch :D plus they are hot. :D
  • Options
    hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christian and Syed for all the reasons stated in previous posts.

I did see a screencap of Sean/Marcus kissing and their lips weren't even touching... great chemistry there :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chryed....the only reason I watch Eastenders.

:D
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    That's like choosing whether to be shot or stabbed.
    Both awful.
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t watch Coronation Street so I couldn’t possibly comment but I do know that I absolutely love Christian and Syed from EastEnders. I have done from day one. For me, they have an incredible on-screen chemistry and I really believe in their story and them as a couple.

I love that it’s been a forbidden love story with lots of angst and setbacks. It wasn’t easy by any means but in the end, love conquered all. Over the past year, it’s been wonderful seeing the pair make a go of things as a proper couple and facing issues just like any other couple would.

Both are flawed and they’re not perfect people but they’re perfect for each other. Whatever obstacles they have in their relationship, they manage to work through it and I really hope that continues in EastEnders. Christian and Syed are currently the strongest couple in the square. They're so refreshing to see and I continue to root for them.

At the very least, they deserve a nod at next year’s BSA’s for best partnership. Marc and Johnny just hit it out the park.
  • Options
    AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    Christian and Syed are more glamourous, also have more problems but I think Sean and Marcus are realistic. So I have to go with Sean and Marcus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im going to get hell for this,but i really dislike Christian and Syed...sorry!

it just seems Christian is always moaning at Syed, they are always arguing and i feel sometimes Christian comes across as a bit of a bully, no matter what Syed does for him its never enough.
  • Options
    QueenShebaVIIIQueenShebaVIII Posts: 1,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it just seems Christian is always moaning at Syed, they are always arguing and i feel sometimes Christian comes across as a bit of a bully, no matter what Syed does for him its never enough.

I find it really unfair that people get angry at Christian. Syed spent a year sleeping with Christian while treating him like utter crap (proposing to Amira in front of him, dumping him in front of everyone after he came out, to name a few). Christian moaning a bit when they're onscreen isn't nearly as bad. They're only onscreen lately every few weeks to be arguing so they must be getting along when they're offscreen.
    That makes it sound like I hate Syed but I don't. It's just that they've both done bad things but they both had reasons and they nearly always move on from that. It's realistic for Christian to feel like Syed may leave him sometimes when Syed left someone else to be with Christian.
  • Options
    EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christian and Syed no contest at all:D
  • Options
    LovelyLauraLovelyLaura Posts: 50,041
    Forum Member

You're entitled to your opinion so don't be sorry for not liking them! :)

I wouldn't say that they're always arguing though......it's only recently that they've started to bicker a lot but it's a soap, it would be pretty boring if every couple was happy all the time, there'd be no drama to watch!

I also don't think Christian's a bully, it's not like he's forcing Syed to be with him or marry him or adopt etc. I know Syed's clearly having reservations about the adoption though but he's got a voice, if he's not ready to start a family with Christian then he should tell him before it's too late. I think he just wants Christian to be happy though. I think Christian is feeling very insecure at the moment about a number of things and this is making him quite needy and possessive of Syed. I also think he quite liked it when Syed was being dependant on him, he liked looking after him and taking care of him. But now Syed's gaining independence away from him, I think he's worried that Syed doesn't need him anymore and he's scared that he's going to leave him. It's all very realistic and believeable IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absoloutely, I think it was very telling when they were in a gay bar this week, and Christian was so threatened just by Syed talking to another man. How many other gay guys has Syed spoken to ever? Most guys I know definitely didn't settle down, have kids and get married to the first boyfriend they ever had. So I'm glad that Enders are addressing the fact that for Syed, this is all quite new still.

For Christian, he's been there, done it, worn the t shirt. And yes, the past with Syed hasn't been a bed of roses. Syed was quite cruel to Christian in the beginning, imagine how awful it would be to watch the man you love marry someone else, and as a gay man, watch the man you know is gay too, marry another woman? It's the stuff that I know I wouldn't be able to get over.

I don't think Christian is a bully either, just very insecure. He wants to get Syed nailed down, wed, house and a kid. For Syed, he's wondering what the rush is all about, but in his own way he too is scared Christian could go off. As Syed quite rightly pointed out, Christian was with someone new everytime they broke up in the past.

Johnny and Marc have amazing chemistry on screen aswell. Charlie and Anthony, it's uncomfortable, particularly in scenes where they have to be affectionate. There is no chemistry I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AntoniaA wrote: »
    Christian and Syed are more glamourous, also have more problems but I think Sean and Marcus are realistic. So I have to go with Sean and Marcus.

Me too. And I know I might be in a minority, but I think the actors playing Christian & Syed are not very good. Sorry! :(
  • Options
    ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    I can't stand Sean, but I can't stand Christian more :mad:
    I'm a bit meh about Syed, but I'm slightly in love with Marcus :o

Sean and Marcus win :)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not condoning the affair, but would you rather Syed had lived a lie.
    I would rather him not propose marriage in the first place
    jenn123 wrote: »
    You can't be serious. Syed is gay - should he have stayed with her then? How would that have been fair on Amira? Doesn't she deserve someone who actually loves her like she wants to be loved?
    I am totally serious. Syed has ruined this girls life and that's why I loath him so much.
    Or because she was idiotic enough to marry a gay man who didn't even hide it that well (because corks get stuck under doors when you're alone in the kitchen with your gay 'friend' all the time) then not get an annulment when it became even more obvious he was gay with the lack of sex . . . I guess it depends on how you look at it.

The fact that she was a naive virgin does not make her idiotic, He initiated the relationship. He proposed marriage and she just took him at face value.
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel incredibly bad for what happened to Amira and Syed is not blameless by any means but I don't think he's "fully" culpable for what happened and I don’t think he should be exonnorated for it either. He did a bad thing but he’s not a bad person. Big difference. Let’s not forget Zainab played a role too. However the biggest instigator has been the oppressive attitudes that are imbedded in Syed’s religion. Fundementally it’s been the central theme in the storyline and goes a large way to explain why both Syed and Zainab acted out. That not me trying to detract blame on Syed’s part. What he did was wrong and he shouldn’t get a get out of jail free card because of his religion. However the story was never that black and white.

I felt more empathy for Syed than I ever did for characters like Max, Jack, Stacey etc. Cheating is wrong, whatever the circumstances but I can't just ignore all the grey area in this storyline either. I've never been a fan of cheating or affair storylines, but I did like this one. Not that I actually saw the affair as the storyline (though it certainly played a part somewhere). In the end, the affair was driven by the homophobic attitudes that existed in Syed's culture, which was the real story. The affair would have never existed had the whole religious aspect not been an overriding theme throughout. That's no justification but because the story has been so different, it's actually allowed me to have sympathy for more than one person. Normally during cheating-type plots, my sympathy goes straight to the one being duped. However the Chryed plot was so 3D,that I was able to transfer my sympathy to everyone, even a homophobic person like Zainab!

It's actually surprised me that I was able to do this but if anything, it's a credit to EastEnders. They managed to create a storyline where there was no villian IMO and tell it through so many different perspectives. Amira, the unsuspecting and loving wife, who couldn’t understand why her husband didn’t want to sleep with her. Syed, battling with his sexuality and his religion/family emotionally forcing him into a life time of deceit but a large part of him wanting to break free, Christian falling in love for the first time and seeing the character at his most vulnerable, Zainab fearing shame, humiliation and rejection from her peers, even if that meant duping an innocent girl. It’s too complex to put it down to the betrayal.