Ben Ainslie

124»

Comments

• Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand sailing (really sorry :o). But how come he is the greatest sailor in history? Did he beat any records?
  • ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Lol @ Rob Walker man handling him, stick to announcing snooker players with daft nicknames,

Jees , did anyone else notice Ben's blood soaked/stained fingers !!!
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogs Head wrote: »
    I don't understand sailing (really sorry :o). But how come he is the greatest sailor in history? Did he beat any records?

Four gold medals and the most medals overall of any Olympic sailor. He's the Michael Phelps of Sailing.
  • Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Four gold medals and the most medals overall of any Olympic sailor. He's the Michael Phelps of Sailing.

Fantastic! Congratulations to him! :D
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »

Presumably Ben isn't allergic to salt water in the way Phelps is allergic to chlorine :)
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ZicoZ wrote: »
    Presumably Ben isn't allergic to salt water in the way Phelps is allergic to chlorine :)

I thought it was Thorpe that was allergic to chlorine
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I confess I've never watched any of his golds as I find it's a sport that I don't enjoy and difficult to watch. However to win 4 golds is a major achievement and he deserves all of the accolades, well done Ben.:cool:
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Hehehe he was more excited than Ben. :D:D

I don't understand the sailing at all and haven't watched it apart from what was shown on the highlights. All week they were saying Ben won't win. What changed?

The Dane beat him in the first 6 races of the series and was a long way ahead in the points. Ben had to beat him in pretty well all the last 5 races and except I think for one, did exactly that. He also had the Dutch sailor chasing him so that made it much more complicated than just beating the Dane.

With four minutes to go in today's final 'medals' race, the Dutch sailor was within a few metres of winning the Gold, because he was ahead of both the other Gold Medal contenders, who were busy watching each other, further down the field. That just made the final race even more exciting, well done Ben! :)
    Forum Member
    notin wrote: »
    I thought it was Thorpe that was allergic to chlorine

Yep , you may be correct . It's one or the other . Pretty remarkable either way , though :)

Xander Alari-Williams also has the allergy .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This man is sexy as hell and why have I never watched this sport before?
  • GraculusGraculus Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    ZicoZ wrote: »
    I could have done with some kind of simple in-screen animation or computer graphic to show the positions all the time .
    So could the commentators. They were as in the dark as the rest of us at times. I wouldn't have thought it beyond the wit of mankind (or the organisers) for the commentary positions to have a constant live feed of the GPS-based graphic data.