history of cricket on tv

Comments

• Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    Having said that, although I'd have probably preferred Smith to Michael Slater, the 2005 Ashes Commentary line-up was immense.

Agreed. I like most of Sky's commentators, but as a line-up, Channel 4's 2005 team has not been beaten.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Does anybody remember if the BBC showed any live coverage of the 1986-87 series in Australia when England last won an Ashes series out there?
    I seem to remember that they showed a couple of hours live on the previous tour. I think it was when England won by 3 runs in Melbourne after Geoff Miller held on to a rebound from Chris Tavare.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Does anybody remember if the BBC showed any live coverage of the 1986-87 series in Australia when England last won an Ashes series out there?
    I seem to remember that they showed a couple of hours live on the previous tour. I think it was when England won by 3 runs in Melbourne after Geoff Miller held on to a rebound from Chris Tavare.

Don't think there was any live coverage of the tests.

But the BBC did show live coverage of the Perth Challenge- a one day tournament. Because of the relatively shorter time difference, it would be on till late morning over here.

England won that as well.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    With the retirement of VVS Laxman, I was wondering whether Sky broadcast that famous 2001 series of India v Australia?
  • Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    With the retirement of VVS Laxman, I was wondering whether Sky broadcast that famous 2001 series of India v Australia?

Sky definitely didn't, not sure whether any of the Asian channels did
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky did not really have time to fill in any filler cricket yesterday, maybe they might show it during a rain break, there is bound to be a few stlll, before the season comes to a finish
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cricket on TV in this country started to change 14 years ago today.

Check out the comments from the then Culture Secretary, Chris Smith on this link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/cricket/194396.stm

Also, Jonathan Agnew failed to mention the words "for now" in the last sentence of his comments on this link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/cricket/194168.stm
  • NJHAGNJHAG Posts: 8,779
    Forum Member

I came here to try and find the answer for that.
    I'm sure there was breakfast highlights of tests and the world series. But was anything live.

Also does anyone have a history of live away coverage before the WI tour shown on sky in 1990? Thanks
  • adman50adman50 Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    NJHAG wrote: »

I'm sure there was breakfast highlights of tests and the world series. But was anything live.

Also does anyone have a history of live away coverage before the WI tour shown on sky in 1990? Thanks

|The easy way to answer this is to go to the bbc listing archive. I can't remember its name but its mentioned on this board somewhere. I do recall some australia test coverage in the early days of BBC breakfast time ( it wasn't great) and some first session coverage late in the evening, but not much else.
  • NJHAGNJHAG Posts: 8,779
    Forum Member
    adman50 wrote: »
    NJHAG wrote: »

|The easy way to answer this is to go to the bbc listing archive. I can't remember its name but its mentioned on this board somewhere. I do recall some australia test coverage in the early days of BBC breakfast time ( it wasn't great) and some first session coverage late in the evening, but not much else.

Yes of course.
    Looking at boxing day 1986, there were 25 minutes of highlights at 7pm on BBC2. Looks like they used the channel 9 programme
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not been through the threads so dunno if this has been mentioned, but apart from the Roses games Granada (ITV) dipped in to the Sunday league and showed (for a couple of seasons) a significant number of Lancashire's home games in full. At that point BBC2 seemed to have "lost interest" in the Sunday cricket by showing anything but cricket on Sunday Grandstand.
  • mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,073
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    Not been through the threads so dunno if this has been mentioned, but apart from the Roses games Granada (ITV) dipped in to the Sunday league and showed (for a couple of seasons) a significant number of Lancashire's home games in full. At that point BBC2 seemed to have "lost interest" in the Sunday cricket by showing anything but cricket on Sunday Grandstand.

Thames showed some matches from Lords, mostly MCC elevens vs touring sides, but occasionally county cricket.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 16/07/17 - 10:16 #214
    Again, I haven't got time to go back through an old thread, but Southern sometimes broadcast Sussex v whoever the tourists were.

It was rather half hearted though. Most times they only did the Saturday on 'World of Sport' but couldn't be bothered coming back to cover any of Monday and Tuesday.
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 16/07/17 - 10:26 #215

Do you mean re shown now or live at the time?

I have no idea who had the rights at the time but I do randomly remember C4 showing highlights of the famous Kolkata test during a rain delay!
  • mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,073
    Forum Member
    Again, I haven't got time to go back through an old thread, but Southern sometimes broadcast Sussex v whoever the tourists were.

It was rather half hearted though. Most times they only did the Saturday on 'World of Sport' but couldn't be bothered coming back to cover any of Monday and Tuesday.

Ah yes - I remember Sussex v Australia XI matches at Arundel ahead of home Ashes tests. That continued into the TVS days.
  • SteSte Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't remember which, either Zee or SET. But one of them definitely did as I remember watching it while on holiday in Northern Ireland.
  • adman50adman50 Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Tyne Tees showed the odd tourist match from Newcastle (jesmond ??) against whatever became Durham I think?? Anyone know??
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yorkshire TV showed the Roses Matches a few times. Was on both Yorkshire and Granada. Martin Tyler and John Helm did the commentary
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkshire TV showed the Roses Matches a few times. Was on both Yorkshire and Granada. Martin Tyler and John Helm did the commentary

Indeed, as did Clive Tyldesley, Jack Simmons and the late Fred Trueman, though coverage was slotted around other daytime TV commitments and was by no means comprehensive.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    realwales wrote: »

Indeed, as did Clive Tyldesley, Jack Simmons and the late Fred Trueman, though coverage was slotted around other daytime TV commitments and was by no means comprehensive.

No it wasn't. I always remember we had a bit at 5.15 until the early evening news and a round up during Calendar but yes it was as and when really.
  • arsenalsriarsenalsri Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Ste wrote: »

I can't remember which, either Zee or SET. But one of them definitely did as I remember watching it while on holiday in Northern Ireland.

I very much doubt it. I wasn't in the UK back then, so cant be for certain, but back in 2001, home tests in India still used to be on terrestrial TV shown by the state broadcaster Doordarshan. SET didnt get into cricket untill after 2007 i.e. the start of the IPL. Zee also got into cricket only around 2005 with the launch of their own sports channel in India and then later the ill-fated ICL. So it is highly unlikely that either of those Asian channels would have been showing Indian cricket in the UK.
  • SteSte Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arsenalsri wrote: »
    Ste wrote: »

I very much doubt it. I wasn't in the UK back then, so cant be for certain, but back in 2001, home tests in India still used to be on terrestrial TV shown by the state broadcaster Doordarshan. SET didnt get into cricket untill after 2007 i.e. the start of the IPL. Zee also got into cricket only around 2005 with the launch of their own sports channel in India and then later the ill-fated ICL. So it is highly unlikely that either of those Asian channels would have been showing Indian cricket in the UK.

Perhaps in India itself they didn't show cricket at the time but one of them definitely showed the 2001 India v Australia series (with the DD coverage) on their European version of the channel.
  • mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't remember exactly when it was but the first live coverage of an Ashes Test from Australia in the early 80s wasn't the test where they won by three runs (i remember listening to that on TMS). The BBC covered one session - I think the first session starting at about midnight our time- with England needing something like 70 to win. They were still 20-odd runs short at lunch but the Beeb left it at that point so we had to listen to the end on the radio. IIRC the presenter was Steve Rider.
  • Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »
    I have no idea who had the rights at the time but I do randomly remember C4 showing highlights of the famous Kolkata test during a rain delay!

My memory is a little hazy but Channel 4 went through a period of filling some rain delays with highlights of games not involving England. As well as the game you mention, I think I remember highlights of a Test involving the West Indies and Australia. As a kid without Sky Sports, whose appreciation of overseas cricket largely came through the pages of Wisden Cricket Monthly and the yearly almanack, such showings were an all-too-rare delight.
  • tvphiltvphil Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welsh_Gaz wrote: »
    While in the Sky Era, am I right in thinking that TV-AM would show some live footage of the 1992 World Cup with a Sky Sports ident in the corner, possibly due to their deal with Sky News, or have I gone mad? I'm guessing it's the 2nd option.

Yes I remember that.

From memory was because Sky provided the news coverage for TV-AM.
    Sky must have allowed the coverage as a bit of free publicity for themselves. I think they ended up showing more than was originally intended.