Options

What were people doing when they found out about 9/11?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at home, I was ill so I wasnt at school at the time, I was watching something on tv when the newsflash came on, it was the first time I had ever seen a newsflash so assumed it was a advert or something til I changed over to other channels who were all showing the same thing, when it dawned on me it was real it was shocking, first time I had ever really taken notice or something like that on the news, I know I was home alone and feeling quite scared to be alone for some reason! I think seeing the images and the planes chilled me a bit.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I was in the car with my mum, on the way to the local Sainsbury's, and it came up on the radio. I didn't quite understand what had happened until we got home and saw it on the TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Urm wouldn't shock or horror be the normal feeling, bearing in mind lots of people are dying on your tv?

Disasters do hold a certain fascination. Titanic, for instance.

We all love a good explosion, hence why action films are so popular.

90% of TV dramas are about people getting murdered.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at school in RE. I remember my mum telling me when I came home from school.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Just arrived home and turned on the TV as was my habit at the time.

I recall initial speculation that it might be some kind of accident or ATC malfunction...and then the second plane hit.
  • Options
    mich_izzlemich_izzle Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Just arrived home and turned on the TV as was my habit at the time.

I recall initial speculation that it might be some kind of accident or ATC malfunction...and then the second plane hit.

It still doesn't feel real
  • Options
    ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    I had been working nights and when I woke up that afternoon, my husband had been following the events on CNN and telling me how he couldn't beleive this was happening. I couldn't either, having just woken up, but that day had really upset me. When the second tower came down, it was very hard to comprehend that it was happening, and not just a TV movie.
  • Options
    Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had just started Year 11 and the first I heard of it was when I met up with my friends at the end of the day to go home. A lot of them did Childcare and they had been watching a video on the wheel in TV. As I approached they were unusually quiet and I soon found out why. Having watched the video, the teacher left the room for a few minutes and hoping to catch a bit of Neighbours, one of the girls switched the TV back on, naturally with the teacher out the room, there was a bit of silliness, lots of laughing and then the TV came on, my friend said you could have heard a pin drop and they kept the TV on for the remainder of the lesson, lesson abandoned.
    Having not seen anything yet myself I didnt really grasp the situation until I got home and saw it for myself, sometime around the time one of the towers fell, we had a powercut and EVERYBODY was out in the street. Looking back it was an incredibly innocuous thing but everybody's emotions were heightened, everybody was fearful and in those brief moments we were cut off from what was happening, stood around in the street, it genuinely felt like it was the beginning of the end of the world. It wasn't of course but the world did change that day. Funny how you can remember every last detail, same with any major event I've lived through, it's just something you don't forget.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching Neighbours, and when it finished on came the News Flash.

It had a picture of the burning tower, I said "ooh"

After reading some of the comments it does seem as though some people were too young to remember really, on account of the fact thier posts are innacurate.

Also anyone who says that they or a friend thought it was a film are just irritating and poorly regurgitating the commentary at the time.

People said it was 'like' a movie or it looked 'like" a film, in order to quantify its surreal and massive scope. No one watching the TV thought they had Sky Movies on!
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This, again, really? :S This exact thread pops up once a fortnight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the school play ground, all the parents were talking. My mum thought it was Canary Wharf as she only glimpsed at the TV before coming to pick me up.

As I got in I saw on TV the 2nd tower collapse, and then I rung my friend and told him to watch the TV.
  • Options
    Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was 18 and i was sitting on a step at the end of my road waiting for a bus to get to my friends house, my then boyfriend called me from work and asked if i had seen the news and i said i hadnt, and he hurriedly said that i should and that he had to get off the phone ( he wasnt supposed to make personal calls) I ran back to the house and caught footage of the plane hitting the tower. I stared in shock at what i was seeing, but it didnt really sink in properly straight away. I went back out for the bus and when i got to my mates we sat watching the news together for hours. Awful day.
  • Options
    NerdyMageeNerdyMagee Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I was 6 and all I remember is my dad saying, "Come and watch these towers fall down." For years I thought it was just a controlled demolition sort of thing.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at work, working alone, and the only source of information was a local radio station played over the public address system. It was reported as a light aircraft crash, which I wrongly assumed meant a single engined propeller driven aircraft. It was only when I got home that i found out what had actually happened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    I was on my lunch break, walked past a local market and saw one of the stallholders running up and down shouting "Oh my god they're jumping from the windows!" Had no idea what was happening until I heard it on a builders radio, I thought it was the end of the world.

My husband was in Washington DC at the time, and couldn't contact him all day, was sick with nerves, turned out he was in the Pentagon when the plane hit and he was evacuated out with others on a coach. For all those who believe in the CT about 9/11 he definitely saw bodies/injured lied on the grass outside the building, was a terrible day :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had arrived in Florida the day before, my ex and I went to the shop and as I was wearing a tshirt that said New York on it someone asked me if I'd heard that a plane had gone into one of the Twin Towers.
    I didn't like being in America at that time, we were at the bar later and loads of locals were talking about 'just going over and bombing the lot' then when the sun set someone tried to start a chant of 'USA' bit no one joined in. :o
    I worked for BA at the time so we managed to get home early, although we just went to the airport and waited to get on a plane.
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Sitting in a hotel room in Marylebone with my husband who had just had chemo at the
    London Clinic.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Sitting in a hotel room in Marylebone with my husband who had just had chemo at the
    London Clinic.
    Aw. How is he now?
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was working as an IT Technician at my sons secondary school.

It was just after lunchtime and my son came in my office. He looked upset and told me that the drawstrings on his new bag had come off and he couldn't get them back on.

I fixed it and thought I'd phone my wife to tell her and the first thing she said to me was "You should see what I'm watching on the television!" After that his bag was trivial. I tried getting on the internet to see and couldn't get on it the rest of the day!
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Aw. How is he now?
    Oh, thank you, didn't expect a reply, but unfortunately even though he had amazing care, and even took part in exploratory treatment, he died in 2004. It will be our Ruby wedding this year.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my kitchen making a bacon and brown sauce sandwich.
  • Options
    StaceySkyStaceySky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was at school, primary school, I must have been around 9years old.
    Mum was picking me and my lil brother up from school and she told us about it on the way home.
    I was too young to understand.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I had just bought my first house and was getting double glazing fitted - the workmen came in to watch - we all sat round on deckchairs (furniture hadn't been delivered) watching a TV that was perched on a stool and listening to Five Lives live radio updates.

Work colleagues were texting me constantly asking what was happening as the internet in the office had crashed due to too much traffic.

Very vivid memories of that day. I remember teletext/ceefax initially reported that a light aircraft had accidentally collided with the WTC - realised that obviously wasn't the case as soon as we saw the pictures coming through
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the tea point getting some hot water in a London office.

I heard the news and thought something along the lines of ..
    Huh! Now America knows what it's like to be on the receiving end of a terrorist attack.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    Oh, thank you, didn't expect a reply, but unfortunately even though he had amazing care, and even took part in exploratory treatment, he died in 2004. It will be our Ruby wedding this year.
    Sorry :(