Options

A bit of techy info needed please.

Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
Forum Member
I know I should have posted this on the technical site but I thought this area has more traffic so here goes!

Earlier today I was working on my lap top while sitting on the sofa. I had to leave it for a few minutes so left the lappy on the sofa with a newspaper over the keys. While I was out of the room, one of my dogs chased over the sofa because someone had walked past. (Cocker Spaniel, very territorial!!) Anyway, when i got back the picture/working screen of the lappy had shrunk. I now have a picture in the centre of the screen with a black border round it.

So, the question is can anyone help me restore my picture to fill the screen please.

Thank you.

(Or should O have put this onto Advice??)

Comments

• Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a resolution change or projector mode has been activated.

Could be sorted one of two ways. First try if it's in projector mode, usually it's hold down Fn key and press F5 - it should cycle between three modes - laptop only, laptop and projector, projector only (screen will be blank in this mode). If it's in laptop and projector mode that's not unusual to resize the screen.

If it's not that you could check out your resolution. On windows right-click on the desktop, choose 'properties' and you can adjust screen resolution in there (I think, I'm not on windows).
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I smell an insurance job!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a resolution change or projector mode has been activated.

Could be sorted one of two ways. First try if it's in projector mode, usually it's hold down Fn key and press F5 - it should cycle between three modes - laptop only, laptop and projector, projector only (screen will be blank in this mode). If it's in laptop and projector mode that's not unusual to resize the screen.

If it's not that you could check out your resolution. On windows right-click on the desktop, choose 'properties' and you can adjust screen resolution in there (I think, I'm not on windows).

I tried these. Fn + F5=screen went blank and stayed blank. I had to switch off and start again.
    Windows 'properties' is just for task bars and not resolution.

Thank you for your help-I'll just have to go cap in hand to the techy-boys at work tomorrow!!:o

(Bluddy dog.................)
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Control panel> Display> Adjust resolution

You're welcome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep try SJ_Mental's suggestion, I have no idea how you set the resolution on windows these days, the last time I used it was back in the XP days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deev1ne0ne wrote: »
    I smell an insurance job!!!

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

That's how I got this one!! I dropped my last one. :o

It's got to be an easy fix. The dog just jumped/spring boarded on it. She can't have done THAT much damage. Can she?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »

You're welcome.

Definitely this. Control Panel - Appearance and Personalisation - Adjust Resolution.

Or right click desktop and select screen resolution.

Change it to the highest on the slider and click apply. It should fix the issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You're welcome.

Thank you SO much, SJ. I will place an amount of money into the next charity box I see in your name!
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you SO much, SJ. I will place an amount of money into the next charity box I see in your name!
    No problem and thank you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many thanks to all other contributors. I just KNEW I'd get the help I needed here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice ending :)
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Kirah wrote: »
    Definitely this. Control Panel - Appearance and Personalisation - Adjust Resolution.

Or right click desktop and select screen resolution.

Change it to the highest on the slider and click apply. It should fix the issue.

careful with that, some video drivers although rare have all resolutions and some high ones that the monitor can't support. Generally though 90% of the time that works. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    careful with that, some video drivers although rare have all resolutions and some high ones that the monitor can't support. Generally though 90% of the time that works. :)

Oh indeed, it was just easier than trying to guess a likely resolution :) Ultimately an unsupported resolution would revert when the "keep these changes?" dialog wasn't clicked so it should have been fine.

Mostly :p
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're welcome.

So I have a question about this.

...how did the dog manage to do all that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some shortcut keys I'd say.
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some shortcut keys I'd say.

I think this is more likley.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    So I have a question about this.

...how did the dog manage to do all that?

I wondered that too. Being a Cocker Spaniel, she's very beautiful and she knows it, but she's as thick as 2 short planks so whatever she did do was accidental!! ;)

I think, as others have said, it was short cuts.